Quantcast

If one were to...

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I would like to plan an Epic ride, roughly a 100 miles or so spread out over a couple of days camping. No loops and preferably somewhere close to home (2-3 hours). Don't mind the ascents but much rather have the descents, so to start as high up and end as close to see level as possible is the goal. Is there something like this around us?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Thanks fellas, good stuff on there.That Land of waterfalls run looks pretty cool.
Disappointed in myself for not having been to that part of Pisgah yet. I guess trying to plan something that has more descent than climbing when elevation is limited is far fetched when trying to ride that many miles. I know I like long rides and a little work does not bother me. Now I need to decide when to do this as winter approaches.
Keenan if your serious hit me up cause I'm looking to do this.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
We did bent creek to brevard over 3 days in March. You could do it in one day but 3 day "scenic route" is more fun.

This would get you on most of the good stuff with minimal little loops:

starting at Bent Creek: greens lick>bent creek rd to parkway>trace ridge into the ranger's district>1206 to laurel mountain>pilot rock>476/5018 to funneltop mtn>horse cove gap>squirrel gap>mullinax>turkeypen gap>black mtn>buckhorn gap>buckwheat knob>bennett gap>coontree>276>farlow gap>daniel ridge.

You can camp anywhere but there's a shelter at the top of buckhorn gap that I usually use for one night. Make sure you have water filtration of some sort. You'll want the Nat Geo trails illustrated pisgah ranger's district map. All that stuff is on there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We did bent creek to brevard over 3 days in March. You could do it in one day but 3 day "scenic route" is more fun.

This would get you on most of the good stuff with minimal little loops:

starting at Bent Creek: greens lick>bent creek rd to parkway>trace ridge into the ranger's district>1206 to laurel mountain>pilot rock>476/5018 to funneltop mtn>horse cove gap>squirrel gap>mullinax>turkeypen gap>black mtn>buckhorn gap>buckwheat knob>bennett gap>coontree>276>farlow gap>daniel ridge.

You can camp anywhere but there's a shelter at the top of buckhorn gap that I usually use for one night. Make sure you have water filtration of some sort. You'll want the Nat Geo trails illustrated pisgah ranger's district map. All that stuff is on there.
no Big Creek?;)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow - I can't imagine xc riding could get any better. :thumb:

Wait - so you went UP turkeypen from the bottom of mullinax?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Would this be single track or is there fire roads and such to link it up?

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC

the NatGeo780 map is pretty outdated.... there's a local company PisgahMapCo. that put together a kickass map of Pisgah South District and Bent Creek on the Other side.. all of the trails on the map are listed by name, and not number only as on the NG780, produced & printed locally and not it in china

Western North Carolina Trail Guide: South Pisgah Ranger District

http://pisgahmapcompany.com/?page_id=28

stores that carry:
Biowheels
Black Dome
Carolina Fatz
Davidson River Outfitters
Diamond Brand
Epic Bicycles
Highland Books
Liberty Bikes
Mast General Store
Montford Book Store
Pisgah Ranger District Headquarters
Pro Bikes
Ski Country Sports
Sycamore Cycles
Take A Hike
The Forest Place
The Cradle of Forestry
The Hub
Youngblood Bicycles

Attachments

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
no Big Creek?;)

we did big creek (which is awesome) but it's approx 10 miles uphill on the parkway from trace ridge to get over there. Trace will get you into the forest with way less pavement.

Turkeypen gap IS "uphill" from turkeypen parking lot to black mtn, but its kind of just a grinder in either direction. Brutal trail but nice singletrack connector.

Josh, some of the numbers I listed in the route are fire roads. Its pretty impossible to go 100% singletrack out there if you wanna do big rides.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
this trail is evil and should be avoided at all costs

I'm down for sure if I'm allowed we just need to wait until after oct 15th for some of the trails to open
...off to beech

we did big creek (which is awesome) but it's approx 10 miles uphill on the parkway from trace ridge to get over there. Trace will get you into the forest with way less pavement.

Turkeypen gap IS "uphill" from turkeypen parking lot to black mtn, but its kind of just a grinder in either direction. Brutal trail but nice singletrack connector.

Josh, some of the numbers I listed in the route are fire roads. Its pretty impossible to go 100% singletrack out there if you wanna do big rides.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
yeah thanks FFish, but that version will be a collectors item soon. The photo's getting replaced on the next print... Forest Service asked to change the photo since Slate Rock overlook isn't an actual trail, and they'd hate to have people riding off that edge.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
yeah thanks FFish, but that version will be a collectors item soon. The photo's getting replaced on the next print... Forest Service asked to change the photo since Slate Rock overlook isn't an actual trail, and they'd hate to have people riding off that edge.
well that sucks. i chuckled to myself when i was perusing the map and saw the photo credit.... "hey, i've met that guy".... then finished by clif bar and continued my death march up to farlow gap.

doesn't sound like forest service thinks much of us mtber's