Quantcast

If you are going to grind smoked chiles....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
be sure & wear a frikkin' mask! I just ground, roughly 3.5# of serranos, habs, japs & pablanos & WHEW! its kickin' my ass!
:dead:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I might as well have snorted a line of it....or at least that is what my nasal passageway feels like.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
yep. I learned that lesson after seeding a bunch of serranos and putting the seeds down the garbage disposal. The fumes that came out of there felt like what I imagine it'd be like to be maced.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Silver said:
Don't cut up chiles with bare hands and then put in contact lenses either.

Damn, that hurts.

don't cut up chiles with bare hands period. once when making my super bad ass jerk sauce, i cut up 20 some odd habeneros. i got wicked chemical burn on my hands and had to soak them in water all night long. it was terrible. i thought i would have to go to the emergency room.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
laura said:
don't cut up chiles with bare hands period. once when making my super bad ass jerk sauce, i cut up 20 some odd habeneros. i got wicked chemical burn on my hands and had to soak them in water all night long. it was terrible. i thought i would have to go to the emergency room.
20?

Why not just put kerosene in it and toss a match toward the pot? :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
laura said:
20 habaneros?! that kind of activity could get you some surveillance from homeland security.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
laura said:
don't cut up chiles with bare hands period.
Silver said:
Don't cut up chiles with bare hands and then put in contact lenses either.
Last time I cut up chillies, I washed my hands 3-4 times, and must have missed a little area somehow. After rubbing my eye, it took a bunch of saline straight into my eye and on the lense to make things right again. :dead:

Laura's quote to never use bare hands is excellent advice.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
be sure & wear a frikkin' mask! I just ground, roughly 3.5# of serranos, habs, japs & pablanos & WHEW! its kickin' my ass!
:dead:
I used to do that quite often with dried chipotles - jeezus wept!

the powder would get into the air and just hang there for a couple of hours.

sneezed, eyes watering, little hacking cough...

finally only did it outside with an extension cord on the grinder...

and yes, a mask.