Quantcast

if you could only have one bike...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
7.7 good choice it'd be a decent all around bike i'd be interested in one if i didn't already own a trail bike and a dh bike.

I think i might have to pick my chase also as a decent pick. i could ride it DH, Street, DJ and well trail i'd just suffer and not ride it or ride a short bike with a long ass seattube.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I have an ON-ONE Gimp that I love, its my only bike, if I had my way, I'd have a FBM "the outsider" BMX bike for Skateparks, A Planet X zebdi trials bike for Urban, MY GIMP for Dirt jumping, an 05 Specialized Enduro for "Freeride", and a Sinister R9 for DH.

For now, until I can save up for a "freeride bike" my gimp will do for everything. but I stick to DJ's mainly, since thats what it was made for!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
slowSSer said:
wow. looks like im the only freak that thinks that a single speed can be an "only" bike.
Nope, I'd take my SS, rigid karate monkey any day of the week over these other bikes.

Throw road slicks on it and chase down roadies and do centuries, CX tires for the cross races, mountain tires for rushing up and down trails, track gear for fixie riding. It would be/is my all around ride. Right now it hardly sees trails, though I'll be trying CX on it this weekend. Tons of road miles on it, so much fun.

Though I would definitely consider a small or medium heckler, I really want to own one of those at some point.

The Ito

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I checked one out when i was in Roanoke it's a cool bike but definetly felt exactly like a heckler to me well except the fork.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm caught between an aggressive-but-XCable HT (like my current Nicolai or Mountain Cycle, or my future Evil Sovereign) and a 5x5 or 6x6 30-33lbish f/s bike (Turner or Santa Cruz or Cannondale whatever high-end cool bike was around at the moment). I'd probably take the F/S, because I'll be old in the future, and might want some cush...

MD

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As others have said, I'd probably take a mid travel trail bike. What I have now would be pretty nice- Giant VT with a TALAS and Hope 4 pots. For one bike, I'd probably go with something a little burlier like a Heckler with a Fox 36 or a Z1 or something. The problem is I like DH riding more than any other type but, relatively, I do very little of it; trailriding and XC take up most of my time by far.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have the same problem J, my mind is shuttling while my legs crank out the miles. :D

I do love to ride XC but I always want to hit all the jumps and drops so to me an XC bikes is no less than 30# and with no less than 4" of travel. That was my last bike exactly 4/5", 30#. I have since sold my DH and XC bikes and am only replacing them with one so I guess in that regard this isn't a hypothetical question for me. I chose the new S-Works Enduro even though there are plenty of bikes I'd have chosen equally (Six-pack, Heckler, Maverick 6.5", Liquid, Prophet, etc) I went for the Specialized because I've had good experiences with them in the past. I loved my old '02 Enduro and my '00 Bighit before that and about 3-4 other FSR's. My new bike will be 34-35# and 6/6" with a bullet proof build so I think it will work very well for it's intended purpose of being pedaled hard up and mobbed pretty hard on the way back down...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
slowSSer said:
wow. looks like im the only freak that thinks that a single speed can be an "only" bike.
i'd be game for a SS, as well. not a rigid one, though. 3 - 4" of travel, that can be locked out.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
burly steel hardtail with a 5-6" SC fork. about a 69 degree headangle. low standover, and the ability to slam the seat down low when needed. faaaaat tire clearance, at least up to a 2.6 or so. disc brakes only. two ring bash guard setup. two sets of wheels, the beefy offroad wheels, and the light road set with skinny slicks. rack/fender mounts on the rear, so i could commute/tour on it if wanted.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
punkassean said:
I have the same problem J, my mind is shuttling while my legs crank out the miles. :D

I do love to ride XC but I always want to hit all the jumps and drops so to me an XC bikes is no less than 30# and with no less than 4" of travel. That was my last bike exactly 4/5", 30#. I have since sold my DH and XC bikes and am only replacing them with one so I guess in that regard this isn't a hypothetical question for me. I chose the new S-Works Enduro even though there are plenty of bikes I'd have chosen equally (Six-pack, Heckler, Maverick 6.5", Liquid, Prophet, etc) I went for the Specialized because I've had good experiences with them in the past. I loved my old '02 Enduro and my '00 Bighit before that and about 3-4 other FSR's. My new bike will be 34-35# and 6/6" with a bullet proof build so I think it will work very well for it's intended purpose of being pedaled hard up and mobbed pretty hard on the way back down...
Hey man, throw up a review of the new Enduro when you get it going please? I have a '04 Enduro Pro which is the same layout as your '02. I'm curious how the two compare besides the increase travel. Thanx.