Quantcast

If you had a choice, which disc hubs?

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Hi fellow peddler's, still tring to decide on some wheels, I dont do big air or drops,( nothing bigger than 3') but I dont want anything wimpy either. The current wheel set I have which are V brake wheels are: XTR hub's, laced to Bontrager Valients, DBL butted spokes and AL nipple's, I had no problems with these wheels going out of true, so I guess even though I like to mess around Im not hard on wheels and I should be fine with some decent XC wheels. I have a Kona Bear frame that Im putting togther.

I have been thinking about tring either Hugi or King hubs, big price difference I think between the two, plus I can get a small discount on the Hugi's, are they any good now days? I here the engagement on the King's are the best, I know they both are somewhat light.

Now, what rims should I get, I will run atleast a 2.1 or bigger tire, should I look at getting a narrow rim like a Mavic 317 or Sun 0 deg., or should I try something a bit wider like a Sun Ryno light, ( I would still like to keep them somewhat light too )
What about the Ringle wheelset's that you can get at the LBS's?

:confused:

Thanks all

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Hugis are hard to beat when it comes to price to performance category..weight wise, I'm sure it's not that bad either..

Kings are awesome but they require more attention over time (from isolated personal experiences with friends; setups)..they tend to come loose more often than they should.

If it were my choice, I'd go with Hadley hubs again...I have a two yr old wheelset and they're still in great condition...

my take..

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I've had and still am having good luck with my Ringle hubs on my XC ht bike.....painless wheelset so far..

DH -Hadleys on 321
DH#2- Hope Bulbs on 321
XC - Ringle on WTB Laser Beam

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
From what you listed, I'd get Kings IF money were not an issue. Money's always an issue for me, so I'd probably get the Hugis though.....

Rim-wise, if you haven't been hard on your Valiants, you obviously aren't the sort who needs Rhyno Lites (beef). Stick with 317s or the Sun, perhaps look at Velocity VXCs also. All around the same weight. I think you can run a 2.35 on those with no problems, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have no experience with the Ringle wheelsets, but 10 times out of 10 I would take a custom-built set over a pre-built. Even if the Ringles are handbuilt, I wouldn't want to settle for their ideas of what's best for me.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You may want to check out Phil Wood hubs also, they have always been a quality product, and look nice too.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You can't go wrong with either Hugi or King. The Hugi 240 disc is one of the lightest disc hubs out there. I think the pair weigh less than a single XT rear hub. Plus, the freewheel on the hugi comes apart without tools.

Rim wise I agree with Su6. Your not having problems with your current XC stuff, why go heavier and stronger if you don't need to. Another thing to think of is the Mavic X3.1 tubeless rims. A little heavy but you have the option of using tubeless or tube tires. Rims last long with discs and tubeless tire prices and selection will only get better. This way if you decide you want to try tubeless you can do it easily.

I have the 240 disc hubs and X3.1. I really like tubeless because I can run really low pressures. With the Michelin 24.1 DH tires, which work with the X3.1 I can run 15psi front and 20 rear no problem.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rim-wise, go and get yourself some Mavic 519s while you're building up a nice wheelset...they're like 460 grams, but pretty wide and have a good rep with folks who use them. They're what I'm going to build my next xc wheelset on...

Hope hubs are what I use...the Bulbs and the Sports are both really nice hubsets.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ooops, just checked...519 is 460 grams, but 24.something wide...may not be what you want. That's just a hair wider than the 317s. Mavic makes great rims, in any case.

Ryno lite XLs did me very well on my 1st hardtail...they're great xc rims IMHO (for durability over weight), and would be a good match for a Bear frame. Remember, you may find yourself getting more and more daring as you push the limits of a bike like that.

A bit more rotating weight still pedals better than a broken rim.

MD

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
Hugi or CK hub and Mavic rims, I am looking into the D series as I am a big BC boy. Lace them up with DT spokes and brass nips and you got yourself a beautiful set of wheels. The wheelbuilder makes ALL the difference, make sure you get a good one.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Okay, so yup, I have King and Hugis AND Mavics, so I guess I'm qualified.

I run Hugi Onyx Disc and 519's on my 4.5" travel trail bike. Awesome combo. Only crap thing is Alloy nipps - I dont think they're worth the hassle unless you're and XC weenie. Short brass nipples are just easier in the long run in my book.
Rims are easy. For XC and general scooting around, I highly recommend 517's if you're light and dont go over 2.1 tires, and 519's if you're bigger or like larger tires. I'm both, so I run 519's :D Personally I find Sun rims too soft, and Bontys I've had no experence with coz we cant get em here. For absolute value, its hard to go past Alex, too. But for me, its Mavic, Mavic, or Mavic.
As for hubs, the big secret is the Hayes Superlights. They're Hugi 240's in disguise and cheaper too. In bang for buck stakes, its hard to go past the Hugi Onyx. The Hopes have the chi-chi factor, but the Onyx win over on price. Plus they're Swiss, so, hey, its all about thinking global, right? :) As for the Kings, well...they're art. Noisy, 'I come loose often' art. They're the pinnacle of hubs ( unless you live somewhere frozen ) - just ask your bank manager for the second mortgage.

Oh, most importantly - Get a good wheelbuilder!!! This is just as important as what components you buy. Seriously. Take my current road wheelset - King....DT revos...Alloy nips....CXP33's.....250kms a week.....can I keep them straight??? Nooooooo, of course I *&%$ing can't!!. Yet my trailbikes' wheels are still straight and kickin bum, after almost a year. ( Thanks Katy, get *&^$%ed Fit***y Cycles )

Anyway, hope that helps. Enough blabber, back to tech drawing disc brake tabs......*yawn*.....

boboso

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
A.V.
Currently running King ISO w/ Mavic 317 rims. So far, no problems (200lbs of rider) only truing and hub maintenace thus far was break in (after 200 miles) Since that time nothing has needed to be touched.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Well I went down to a new LBS, (there's about 25 LBS's around here) but these guy's have been recommended by RM member's, so off I went. They really like the King hubs, man they are bucks!:eek:
about $650 for some hand built wheels: King hubs, DB spokes laced to some Mavic rims, 517's.
so Im tring to decide if I should do it, thats almost what I paid for the frame. If I buy some of those Hayes super lites (Hugi 240's) I can save about $150.00 I guess, I have seen them advertised for $149 bucks.
I like the fact that the Kings are so easy to rebuild and that parts are easy to get, so I guess that a little extra maintance wont hurt me.

Thanks all

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Yeah, you cant go wrong with the Kings.....but even though I have Kings and think they're great, the idea of getting the Hayes Superlights and spending the change on some very nice Answer ProTaper carbons and a Thomson stem kinda starts to sway me. :D :devil:

Oh, I forgot - the Razor Rock XC hubs are also very, very nice :)

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Ive always wanted anodized green hubs, I think that King is the only player in the game that makes anodized hubs anymore, its just not easy forking out that kind of money, like what was said above, buying cheaper hubs like the Hugi's and using the extra dead president's to buy some brakes or some other componet that I need.

boboso

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
A.V.
Kings have not steered me wrong on any of my bikes. I have CKs mounted to a pair of 317s and they have worked out very well. Hugis are a great set up as well, but I have had no problems with the CKs and their Cust Service is top notch. They rebuilt a pair of my classics into ISO disc and in the process replaced worn parts and adjusted at no extra cost to me...

Apr 17, 2002
Santa Cruz, CA
I second everyone who recommends the Mavic F519 rims, IMHO they are the big sleeper in the Mavic lineup. FYI, they are 24.5mm wide, and if you ask Stan at NoTubes.com, he actually has a rim strip that will fit properly and allow you to try the tubeless thing.

I have a set of King disc hubs, and I've been somewhat disappointed with them. They brought my bike to a complete stop 3 miles into the first and only race I've ever entered. I found out the hard way that XTR lockrings do not thread deep enough into these hubs. This fact does not show up anywhere, so use King lockrings and spread the word.

In retrospect, I would go for the Hayes Superlights. I saw a disassembled American Classic freewheel at Interbike, and it looked great. I've been hearing good things about their stuff, so apparently they're not just showpieces. Best of luck.