Quantcast

If you ride clipless, check these shoes out. No seriously.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've got last years version (white) of both : the DX's and 40's. both are the sh|t. the vibram sole on the 40/41's is in fact between a vans and five.ten sole, closer to the five.ten but much better for small adjustments and movement. i also find five.ten's to be too sticky - the shimano's are perfect imo.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Funny. Photos like this make me think about the same thing.
Cept I'm not trying to build a career or anything.
Ohhh, did I hurt a feeling?

Intended Use: Shreddin, thrashin, rippin, tearin, all mountainin’, standin’, walkin’
These reviews might be taken a little bit more serious if not for the above.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll be honest, I didn't even bother to read your review, as I already bought these shoes and love them. My only gripe is that they come with (white?!) laces that seem to be made out of the softest chinchilla fur imaginable that get shredded in no time due to their close proximity to the velcro cover. Change laces. Job done.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So these days Jesus = black and white fruit boots?

Noted.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool. I've been riding some 5 year old Sidi D5s on my DH bike which really isn't ideal but I haven't yet tried a more purpose built shoe that I like, for a variety of reasons. May have to give those a shot.

Question: how fat is the heel of the shoe? One thing that annoyed me with the last pair of Shimano DXs that I had was that the heel was really fat and padded on the sides, like a skate shoe, and I kept catching the top of it under my chainstay when I was pedaling out of corners and then smashing the fvck out of my ankle in the process. My Sidis are a lot better in that regard but obviously suck balls when I drop a foot through a corner or try to walk anywhere.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, any thoughts on sizing? I wear a 44.5 regular width Sidi. I think my old DXs were 44s but I forget.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I agree with the review. I am on my second pair of those shoes. The first being the grey ones, the now pair being the white ones, which are now showing signs of wear. They last about 2-3 seasons each. And like the reviewer, I too have started wearing them on XC rides. They're not light, pretty sure they're lighter than the 5.10 Minnaaars, but they certainly make up for it in comfort.

My only complaint is that I have had to replace the shoe strings. As they tend to wear and break at the top eyelet....after about a season.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
then i read the drivel for the AM45...i am now dumber for having read it.
If you're dumber for having read that, your IQ must be hovering perilously close to being countable on one hand after some of the **** that gets posted on here. Was that Pulitzer quality work there? Probably not. Terrible? Hardly.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yah, I hate when people try an approach doing a shoe review with a grain of humor. I want cold hard facts about the shoes. Not stupid anecdotal evidence based on a large comparison base and experience, and I hate when people do that sh1t for free. They're ruining the system man.

But seriously, if you'd put this review out 3 months ago, I'd have a pair of those. I'm too cheap to buy another set when 661's are still basically brand new.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Ohhh, did I hurt a feeling?

You know what's funny? You thinking "professional" attitudes is what people want.

I'd take woo's writing over your nonsense any day, you spineless corporate sycophant.

He's reviewing and writing because he loves it, not because it can maybe "support his lifestyle."

You need to grow up, Toofluss.

And you need to fix your grammar, bubba. People would take the writing more seriously, ...not more serious.

Whoa!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You complete me!

You know what's funny? You thinking "professional" attitudes is what people want.

I'd take woo's writing over your nonsense any day, you spineless corporate sycophant.

He's reviewing and writing because he loves it, not because it can maybe "support his lifestyle."

And you need to fix your grammar, bubba. People would take the writing more seriously, ...not more serious.

Whoa!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dood, its downhill mountain biking. If anyone (besides the actual engineers) takes anything about it seriously, they're doing it wrong.

Also, anyone know any companies besides Lake (an 5.10 I suppose) that make a legitimately wide clipless shoe?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that review was:

A) tl;dr

B) what i did manage to read made me nostalgic for the college days of shotgunning old milwuakee and scraping bong resin to get a hit

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I have last year's white ones, brilliant shoes, super stiff and go for it or not they have loads of style. I was in a coffee shop after we left the local bike park on the way home and some guy asked where i got them and how much. and he was bring serious

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Whoa!
your first post I agree with, and you come out swinging hard. nailed it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Also, anyone know any companies besides Lake (an 5.10 I suppose) that make a legitimately wide clipless shoe?
specialized. their wide version is definitely and noticeably wider than the regular version. I have one of each in the same size, so I can compare directly.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
Nice review. Informative compared to so much of the marketing drivel that comprises the majority of "professional" reviews. Anyone read a Decline review lately? That sht is so advertising based that you can't learn anything about any product in that magazine for fear that they may expose a negative trait. Oh the horror: a product isn't perfect?!
Right on Kidwoo. Refreshing.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Liked the review.

Shimano Pedaling Dynamics.

I'm trying to start, or continue the movement of calling these fancy clip in pedals simply Clips. Clipless...no more toe clips! Who here had toe clips? (raises hand). Since i work in a shop I get the confused Clipless face on a daily basis.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Liked the review.

I'm trying to start, or continue the movement of calling these fancy clip in pedals simply Clips. Clipless...no more toe clips! Who here had toe clips? (raises hand). Since i work in a shop I get the confused Clipless face on a daily basis.
I used to ride toe clips too!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Nice review. One question, is there any functional difference between the AM45 and the MP66W (other than what appears to be less venting and moar mud proofing)? ie, lighter, stiffer, moar or less foot protection?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just got back from 6 days of non-civilization.....

Liked the review.

I agree. I keep meaning to join that ship but old habits die hard.

(and yes I knew what SPD meant when I wrote that)

Nice review. One question, is there any functional difference between the AM45 and the MP66W (other than what appears to be less venting and moar mud proofing)? ie, lighter, stiffer, moar or less foot protection?
I honestly haven't even seen those MP66Ws in person yet so I don't know anything more than what we'd both know from looking at a pic.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I just got back from 6 days of non-civilization.....

I honestly haven't even seen those MP66Ws in person yet so I don't know anything more than what we'd both know from looking at a pic.
MP66W = DX = White Stormtrooper shoe

(you mentioned the DX in your review)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Gonna repeat this since nobody commented earlier:

Question: how fat is the heel of the shoe? One thing that annoyed me with the last pair of Shimano DXs that I had was that the heel was really fat and padded on the sides, like a skate shoe, and I kept catching the top of it under my chainstay when I was pedaling out of corners and then smashing the fvck out of my ankle in the process. My Sidis are a lot better in that regard but obviously suck balls when I drop a foot through a corner or try to walk anywhere.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Good review... I may never use clips again but if I do I know which shoe to look at.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Gonna repeat this since nobody commented earlier:

I have found that they aren't great for climbing but they're not horrible either. Mine (the white ones) have a looser heel fitting and i find i only use them for gravity oriented clipped rides and use my xc shoes for more uphilly rides. Haven't really noticed the heel hitting the chainstays much so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have found that they aren't great for climbing but they're not horrible either. Mine (the white ones) have a looser heel fitting and i find i only use them for gravity oriented clipped rides and use my xc shoes for more uphilly rides. Haven't really noticed the heel hitting the chainstays much so I can't comment on that.
I'm really not worried about climbing, I have my Sidis for that. I'm just talking about chainstay/heel issues on the DH bike. I'm probably just retarded and can't ride a bike properly but it's been an issue for me before.