Quantcast

If you were to get a new FS Trail bike - what would your short list look like?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Can I put BigMike's "hot cousin" in for this?

For what I am thinking she'd only need 5 to 6" of travel.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Titus moto-lite. I like my hammerhead (racer x) but would love another inch of travel...

Pivot Mach 5.

Beyond that I don't know what else would really grab me.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My next bike doesn't exist I think.

I would love a 140mm travel DW-Link bike, 68deg HA with 140mm fork. Solid for drops, and stable at speed. All that under 6.5lbs frame.

I though the Mach 5 would be it, but its to XCish. The Blur LT might be it, but I'll wait to see if the creaking and bearing issue is resolved...

For now the Motolite is a solid ride.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I know what you mean. I felt pretty good on the bike, it isnpires a good bit of confidence.
It's even better when the trail isn't mud covered limestone. :busted:

I had trouble lifting the front at first, but got the saddle balanced and it's nice. I haven't touched a setting since you rode it and have really liked it. I'm really shocked to hear me say it. I have worked on the Mach 5 for tacklespore and while I haven't ridden it on the trail, the Stumpy fits my bill better.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
For some reason the Trance X isn't doing it for me visually - something looks "goofy" about to my eyes - not sure what it is exactly. It looks like it has a pretty steep HT angle for a 5" bike - what's the head tube angle on it?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
For some reason the Trance X isn't doing it for me visually - something looks "goofy" about to my eyes - not sure what it is exactly. It looks like it has a pretty steep HT angle for a 5" bike - what's the head tube angle on it?

I think it's 69 without looking. The one we built for Wumpus is just nice. It was a 6 lb frame. I was shocked.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It looks like it would be a better fit for taller guys like you and Wumpus - for someone my height it seems kinda "tall" for some reason. How's the bottom bracket height on it?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm kind of psyched to see everyone isn't drooling on the Blur LT. Maybe that means I'll actually be able to get one without a 90 week wait. Of course I want a Gibson Explorer too. Need to figure out which I want more :think:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think the Blur LT v2 ETA is sometime in May right now but who knows how many people have pre-ordered...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

I don't look at it when I ride.:busted: It is a huge jump up from the Jamis Dakar I was riding.

69.5* HA

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
J-Dubs - what do you mean about the Marin - that it should be a strong contender or that the geometry may be more west coast oriented??
I think it is an extremely strong contender, and I think it's a better East Coast geo too.

Plus it's got a rear Maxle. The wave of the future in my opinion.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
After thinking about this a bit more I have to change my list. It would now be made up of lower-to-midgrade offerings from Jamis, Kona, and Specialized.

Yes, I love my Yeti. But at the end of the day, the thing that matters is the ride, not the bike. I have just as much fun on my $500 used SS as I do my big-ticket Yeti. I don't need a fancy expensive bike, I just need something that pedals well and stops well. I picked Jamis, Kona and Specialized because they are sold by LBSs that I am more than happy to support.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
<spam>
I'm taking my 575 to a swap meet this weekend if it does not sell it is going up on the classifieds
</spam>

I want a 4" trailbike. Basically a sturdy XC bike with slacker angles. I just feel the longer travel bikes deaden the riding experience for all but the harshest conditions
How about a custom Ventana FS? The X5(I think) has a number of travel options...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So I test rode the Stumpjumper again on familiar trails. I really like the bike although I'm not so sure the Brain isn't just a huge waste of money. The rental had a longer stem that stretched me out more than I wanted but the riding position made me ride the bike differently. I'm normally moving my center of gravity all over the bike but I couldn't being stretched out. It really didn't slow me down and I basically just had to point and shoot through corners. It did make bunnyhoping over obstacles a little tougher though.

I was pretty much ready to buy the bike but to make a long story short the local Specialized dealer has a knack of pissing people off and I walked out convinced I wasn't going to buy a bike from them.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I was pretty much ready to buy the bike but to make a long story short the local Specialized dealer has a knack of pissing people off and I walked out convinced I wasn't going to buy a bike from them.
More opportunities to test ride more fun bikes though right? Have you looked at the Marin FS bikes at all? I know there looks aren't stellar, but I hear they work really well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
More opportunities to test ride more fun bikes though right? Have you looked at the Marin FS bikes at all? I know there looks aren't stellar, but I hear they work really well.
No local dealers, I probably will not buy another bike without being able to test ride. Actually I think I will probably end up riding a lot less this year so I'm thinking of unloading everything except my Flux, it is the bike I ride the majority of the time anyway.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
My Knolly Endorphin is a great bike but I am really liking the 29 thing. Had a MoJo but it did not last too long. Nice riding bike though. I have a Stumpjumper FSR 29er that I ride alot and like it. Here is a pic of the endorphin and Stumpy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so what else is in the stable that'll go? Your trusty Superlight and the Yeti 575?

wow.
Ti hardtail and the Vassago frame. I may keep the hardtail though, the way the economy is going a 4lb chunk of titanium might end up being worth more than my bank account.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Just finished this up. Mix of All Mountain parts and Light DH. Came in at exactly 30#. Could have used lighter hubs if I werent so fat. Went on the first ride, got about a half mile and ran over a major huge brier patch and picked up 5 thorns in the front tire. on my way to the shop for a couple more tubes