Quantcast

IH '06 Spec Sneak Peek

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
From the 7.9 spec.

"Marzocchi 66 SL (Air), 170mm"

Very interesting, didn't know about that one ;)

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
my dear god, those sundays are spec'd so friggin well. the "crappiest" one could almost be a top of the line bike.

good job toddddd, long live the pilfers you freak.

BTW, checked out Todd's bike a few days ago, no ride cuz of multiple broken bones in me, but the new boxxer and the rear shock on that thing looked out of this world sensitive. I couldn't believe how lightly he was just tapping on the saddle to get a response from the shock , so damn supple. So there you have it, its worse than a parking lot test, its a visual examination.

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
WHEN is dangerboy or someone else going to make after market linkages? That way you can get an extra inch out of the DW-Link? :rolleyes:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Jamsoul said:
WHEN is dangerboy or someone else going to make after market linkages? That way you can get an extra inch out of the DW-Link? :rolleyes:
cool, you only have to f**k up the geo, handling and ride characteristics, but you get that 9" of travel you've always wanted!!! sign me up! :thumb:

:D

RaID

Turbo Monkey
all i can say is woohooo

i know what ill be getting, the Sunday Elite
almost the ideal spec for me
888RC2X
Fox DHX
ill just pass on the drivetrain (no rapid rise for me)
for a SRAM setup

i just hope theyll get rid of the hideous colours from this year
and make the elite a nice white to match the forks
now that will be pimp

cant wait already
nice work iron horse great line up

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
The Sunday lineup looks promising. I like the Elite, but I would prefer a different fork than the 888. It would be nice to have seen a Fox 40 or Boxxer Team on there, eventhough they already put a Team on one of the Sundays. I am suprised to see a coil shock on the Team, I thought they were going to put the Progressive Gravity Air or DHX Air on the top model. This of course is only my speculation and I will have to wait and see one come out of the box for final parts spec. Word up on the new 6 Point too.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
nixhexss said:
BTW, checked out Todd's bike a few days ago, no ride cuz of multiple broken bones in me, but the new boxxer and the rear shock on that thing looked out of this world sensitive. I couldn't believe how lightly he was just tapping on the saddle to get a response from the shock , so damn supple. So there you have it, its worse than a parking lot test, its a visual examination.
Well, I haven't the patience for 06'... I always opt for the DIY approach, aka "the guinnea pig." After two tunes, I lost faith in the progressive shock. Bridgeport + Fox - warranty = buttery goodness. Ten consecutive days at Whistler, two broken lower pivot bolts, and I absolutly love this bike... I just can't see why a bike that is supposed to showcase such an efficient design would be spec'ed with a shock that's known to have an aggressive platform. I had to mill about 6mm from the lower linkage to fit the DHX sans propedal knob. The linkage is braced in that section so there was no concern on my part of losing structural integrity. At 165lbs rider weight, I ran 300lbs spring(stiffer than stock spec.), 180psi, 1-1.5 turns bottom, and no propedal.
[/URL][/IMG]

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
would prefer a different fork than the 888. It would be nice to have seen a Fox 40 or Boxxer Team on there,

dude please tell me your kiding. im not going to say anything about the fox 40 cause that would actually work. but the boxxer team what are you talking about. a boxxer team to replace an 888. dude thats not right. 888 sturdier fork, better warrenty, no spiking, better plusher feel, ohh and lets not forget more travel and more tunning options. dude i think you need some help. i mean come on dude. :nope: :nope: :nope:

ohh and about all the dhx stuff i was suprised but an awsome surprise. its like waking up on christmas morning and getting more stuff than you asked for. :thumb: to ironhorse and the awsome sunday specs.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
frznnomad said:
dude please tell me your kiding. im not going to say anything about the fox 40 cause that would actually work. but the boxxer team what are you talking about. a boxxer team to replace an 888. dude thats not right. 888 sturdier fork, better warrenty, no spiking, better plusher feel, ohh and lets not forget more travel and more tunning options. dude i think you need some help. i mean come on dude. :nope: :nope: :nope:

ohh and about all the dhx stuff i was suprised but an awsome surprise. its like waking up on christmas morning and getting more stuff than you asked for. :thumb: to ironhorse and the awsome sunday specs.
I would take an 06 boxxer team over a 888 any day. They're so trick.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
heh manwithgun, I wonder if you could help me out. I have the same Sunday frame as you and when building it up I had a devil of a time setting up the chainguide. It seems the upper guide parts are always pushed too far toward the chainring causing rubbing when the lower pulley lines up perfect. So as a fix right now I'm running one washer on the top chainguide mounting bolt hole and two on each of the bottom holes. I'm thinking I have one of the bad batch of frames where the uprights are welded too far apart. Anyone else on a Sunday have this issue?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
frznnomad said:

Boxxer spiking - you are living in the past man. They also have the same travel. If you know how to setup a Boxxer and how to maintain it its a good fork.

Anyway the Boxxer has brand new dampning next year with the same tuning options as the 888 so unless you have ridden the 06 Boxxer Team the above is speculations.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well there is a saying that goes a little something like this. the past repeats itself. so thats what im going off of, and i dont think that you have ridin an 06 boxxer either so how would you know it doesnt spike. all the info from the past leads us to believe that the 06 will be the same. ohh and he also said the team boxxer not the world cup. uless they have upgraded the team to the same travel and upgraded the tunning on the team then im stickin to what i said earlier.

but hey we all have our opinions and i personally like the 888 better than the boxxer and marzocchi has much better cs

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
toothless said:
heh manwithgun, I wonder if you could help me out. I have the same Sunday frame as you and when building it up I had a devil of a time setting up the chainguide. It seems the upper guide parts are always pushed too far toward the chainring causing rubbing when the lower pulley lines up perfect. So as a fix right now I'm running one washer on the top chainguide mounting bolt hole and two on each of the bottom holes. I'm thinking I have one of the bad batch of frames where the uprights are welded too far apart. Anyone else on a Sunday have this issue?
Well toothless, if you're talking about the chainring rubbing the flat portion of the upper guide plate, just take a grinding wheel to it. There should be some lines already scored into the plate to use as a guide. I've always had to re-work the plastic to get it to my liking. There are only a few chainring manufacturers that E-13 approves of (thickness wise) and I'm not sure if I.H. specs from that list. They didn't last year... As far as intentionally offsetting the spacers, I wouldn't do it... I'd be afraid of bending a tab or something. These Sundays run low so you can count on the lower boomerang taking some shots.

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
Ma
ok we all know some like the 888, some don't and the same with the boxxer. this is why there are more than one fork on the market.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
frznnomad said:
well there is a saying that goes a little something like this. the past repeats itself. so thats what im going off of, and i dont think that you have ridin an 06 boxxer either so how would you know it doesnt spike. all the info from the past leads us to believe that the 06 will be the same. ohh and he also said the team boxxer not the world cup. uless they have upgraded the team to the same travel and upgraded the tunning on the team then im stickin to what i said earlier.

but hey we all have our opinions and i personally like the 888 better than the boxxer and marzocchi has much better cs
the team boxxer has 8" this was done in this years models ie 2005
personally i prefare the 888 aswell unless rock shox have done some drastic changes to the 06 team, i guess ill have to ride one to see

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
frznnomad what are you basing all your assumptations on? I had an 04 Boxxer Team and this year 05 WC - no spiking as this problem was solved mid season 03 with the new base valve. The dampning and travel in the Boxxer Team and WC each year has always been the same since the introduction of that clasification in 03. So you are saying that Rock Shox with the new dampning will bring back spiking? Dampning which is already running in the Pike and Rebe with no spiking. Regarding real world testing of the 06 Boxxer I have only ridden it around the lift on two occasions and I have heard only good response from the two riders I have talked to one on a 06 Boxxer Team and the other on 06 Boxxer WC.

Here you will find more info on the 06 Boxxer http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2725

I don't know often you drop by this forum but there is a lot of good information on pros and cons of all the major DH forks - the search function is your friend.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
The Dampning system on the Boxxer next year is the same as that from the reba and pike forks of this year, if you've felt one of those you know it feels great. I've only parking lot tested an 06' but it felt like a long travel version of my reba. They both have 8" of travel, and the CS at rock shox kicks arse since they were bought by Sram. Hate whatever fork you want just don't start stupid internet opinions.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I looked through three pages of this thread to see some 06 iron horse's
what did I get? a spec list (which I liked), an argument over which fork is better, and a big slap in the face hijack by someone who's having problems with their chainguide. :(
I'm so dissapointed right now.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
umm sorry for "the big slap in the face hijack" I guess. Thought it might be relevant as he was talking about Sunday setup. Anyway thanks for the help Manwithgun. And Pooman, I hardly see how getting ones setup issues out of the way on a frame equates to some kind of brand slander. Every bike I has ever owned has had some issues at some point, it comes with the territory. And besides that, I don't think it's the consumers job to help deify brands on a website and treat a thread about spec lists as a marketing exercise. I don't know about you bit I don't work for the marketing department. I digging my Sunday - it just has some teething issues - so lets get back to important things, like what colour they will all be. :D

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
toothless and manwithgun,

please contact e.thirteen support directly. You should NEVER space the sliders out from the back plate, and also NEVER grind the sliders. Neither of these actions will make your SRS work better, but they can hurt performance in various ways.

There has been an advisory about Iron Horse Sunday guide setup on the e.thirteen main page for a while now. All of them were shipped with the chainguide set up incorrectly from the factory, but there are step by step instructions on how to correct it. The Yakuza Kumicho bikes have the same issues. More info here-----> http://www.e13components.com/archives/000034.html

Anytime you have an e.thirteen question, drop us a line at support@e13components.com. We are usually right on top of any issues with setup out there, its our mission to make sure that every e.thirteen system out there is set up correctly and working right. They are about as simple to set up as it gets, but with all the variations in drivetrains and frames, a chainguide setup does require some knowledge. Thats where we can help.

Hope this helps!

Dave

btw, Sam Hill just won the World Cup DH by 6 seconds...

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
manwithgun said:
Well, I haven't the patience for 06'... I always opt for the DIY approach, aka "the guinnea pig." After two tunes, I lost faith in the progressive shock. Bridgeport + Fox - warranty = buttery goodness. Ten consecutive days at Whistler, two broken lower pivot bolts, and I absolutly love this bike... I just can't see why a bike that is supposed to showcase such an efficient design would be spec'ed with a shock that's known to have an aggressive platform. I had to mill about 6mm from the lower linkage to fit the DHX sans propedal knob. The linkage is braced in that section so there was no concern on my part of losing structural integrity. At 165lbs rider weight, I ran 300lbs spring(stiffer than stock spec.), 110psi, 1-1.5 turns bottom, and no propedal.
I agree that the FOX feels good on the Sunday, that being said, you are likely to break your bike with your link machined like that. The Sunday is a lightweight and strong race bike. Its structure is optimized using complex FEA structural analysis, and verified through on-track testing. The links themselves are made from forged 7075-T6 aluminum, almost half the weight with more strength than the 6061 links on basically every other bike out there. Reducing the stiffness of the lower link changes the stress distribution in the frame and rear suspension. Your frame could have more load in places that it was never intended to. I would not be surprised if you crack your frame somewhere far away from the lower link.

FYI, any aftermarket links or link modifications will void your warranty on any dw-link Iron Horse. I do know that. There is a huge amount of precision in the links, and tiny changes in the links can cause huge changes in performance of the dw-link system.

The Sunday uses the 5th Elements with custom tunes to give an end travel compression increase. There is no "shock pedaling platform" needed, the dw-link takes care of suspension movement with less impedence to small bumps than any amount of extra damping can. Teh DHX is used in the same way on the Sunday.

hope this helps, and seriously, dont hurt yourself or your bike, get a new link from Iron Horse or a remote reservoir DHX if you have to.

hope this helps
dw

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
When are the links that support the FOX DHX going to be available for the Sunday?

Thanks...