Quantcast

IH Kumicho

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Ok guys, more shock questions:clapping: Are there any kumicho riders running an 8.75x2.75 shock instead of the 9.0 that came stock? Not alot of choices out there in the 9.0 size, so if you run one, how do you like it? This small change should'nt affect the geometry too much. On the other hand, my second thought was to try a 9.5x3.0. Any thoughts on this?:lighten:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Ok guys, more shock questions:clapping: Are there any kumicho riders running an 8.75x2.75 shock instead of the 9.0 that came stock? Not alot of choices out there in the 9.0 size, so if you run one, how do you like it? This small change should'nt affect the geometry too much. On the other hand, my second thought was to try a 9.5x3.0. Any thoughts on this?:lighten:
Is that bike not already really Slack? You will change the HT angel by around 2 degrees if you do that. That is how much changed on my Morewwod when I put a shorter I to I shock on the bike.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The 07 and newer models come with an 8.75x2.75 shock. I briefly ran an 8.75 on my yakuza while my shock was being serviced. The bottom bracket is very very low like this.

8.75x2.75 shock

9x2.75 shock

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Yep, that does look kinda low. How did the bike handle that way? What shock are you using now. I would just like to get rid of the swinger, so far my only option is a Roco, which isnt a bad thing.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Kumicho+ 8.75x2.75 shock = metal to metal contact at bottom out.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dw, the 07 model comes with a 8.75, and i've looked at both side by side and i cant see a difference. Maybe ska-todd could answer this one?
We moved the shock mount on the 2007 model to accomodate the 8.75X2.75 and also gave it a 150mm rear hub spacing.

You need to grind the frame on earlier models to accept an 8.75X2.75 but it ends up being too low IMO.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
I run DHX 5.0 coil (9 x 2.75) on my 06 Kumicho and LOVE it! DHX is hard to find in that size, but not impossible.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
it's always great to see a fork that costs the same amount of all the rest of the components on the bike.

I kid, I rode that bike and it's a great deal for the price. I just never bought the older model because it came with that wonderful Manitou POS fork, forgot the name of it.

edit- stance kingpin. I don't think there was a single fork of the model that didn't blow out/explode within a month of use.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
dw, what was the deal with the floating break on the 05's. Good idea, bad idea? Do you know if any of these parts are still available?
i have an 05 with the stock floater and i dont really belive its worth having it on there its a pain to set so it doesnt rub and it is loud.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dw, what was the deal with the floating break on the 05's. Good idea, bad idea? Do you know if any of these parts are still available?
It worked pretty well, but brake mount bearings were never really up to the quality requirements IMO and that let the mount move laterally more than it would with a better bearing. I doubt that they are still around, but you may get lucky if you put a classified up on an interweb board looking for the parts.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Thanks dw. I was hoping that brake therapy would have something but i have'nt heard anything yet. Also while i have the bike down do you think the shock hardware upgrade will get rid of the suspension rattles? And do you know how much $ this costs?