Quantcast

IH Sunday i2i and stroke?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
With most DH frames coming in with 9" plus travel, I wonder why Iron Horse choose 8", what are the advantages to an 8" frame?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Acadian said:
What are the advantages of an 9" + frame?
thats exactly what I am asking. There must be some as far as Orange and Intense are concerned otherwise they would not have increased the travel from 8 to 9 on their frames

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
As a couple other guys said, the Sunday uses a 9.5X3 eye to eye shock.

There are a few reasons why I chose to use an 9.5X3 with 8 inches of travel for the Sunday.

1) dw-link: The dw-link suspension is really unique in the world of suspension systems. It counteracts the affects of rider mass movement as the bicycel and rider accelerate. This frees up the suspension to react to the smallest bumps and leaves it ready to absorb big hits. We dont need to run extra amounts of sag or any extra compression damping.

2) dw-link axle path: The dw-link axle path is a constantly widening arc which for riders means that the wheel moves away from impacts easily. The Iron Horse team riders and test riders all agee that the bikes feel like they have the absorption of a longer travel bike.

For comparison, an FSR type and other suspensions have a tighter axle path curvature that moves very forward in the end of the travel, so an easy way to try to let the bikes absorb bigger hits in the end of the travel is to add travel and reduce wheel rate.

3) low leverage rate: Because the dw-link already requires a bare minimum of valving in the shock, combining it with a low leverage rate means that your rear shock will last a LONG time without needing to be rebuilt or serviced. Also, damper fade in relation to heat is almost nonexistant.

there are some more reasons, but these are the main ones.

Later!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Acadian said:
:think: hummm...long travel air shock! :thumb:
;)

Been asking for that for 2 years now. Looks like a couple viable options are on the way.

I had to run out yesterday, so I couldnt finish my writeup up there. Heres the end

4) The low leverage rate gives a wider range of tunability with the same spring. We have been tuning 300 lb/in springs to work for 140-185 lb pro level riders with preload. (That is a VERY wide range of rider weights)

dw

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Lumpy_Gravy said:
thats exactly what I am asking. There must be some as far as Orange and Intense are concerned otherwise they would not have increased the travel from 8 to 9 on their frames
Have you ever tried to race a 9"+ travel frame? Ya really don't need all that travel most of the time. I've been seriously thinking about even getting a IH 7point to race on for courses like Big Bear and general trail riding.

The new bigger/longer shocks enable companies to get more travel out of frames without the risk of blowing shocks with high leverage ratio's. But just because you can doesn't mean you should.