Quantcast

IH yakuza shock swap

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have an 06 Yakuza Kumicho Type R, which is great, but I'm not in love with the Swinger 4 way on the back and I'm looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, there aren't many used shocks on the market that come in the required 9x2.75. I know they have changed the shock mount for 07 for just this reason, but short of fabricating some kind of custom shock shuttle it seems I'm out of luck.

I have heard that the frame will clear with a 9x3 or an 8.75x2.75 but I'd like to know from any of you IH guys in the peanut gallery if this will void my warranty or adversely affect performance. If it were your bike, would you go for a little more travel or a little lower and slacker (its already pretty damn low and slack)? Anyone know what my final geo/travel would be with those respective shocks?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, so you add more travel. but make your headangle steeper. why do you need more travel?
you can find a DHX in the 9x2.75 comes on the Spec SX.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
um, so you add more travel. but make your headangle steeper. why do you need more travel?
you can find a DHX in the 9x2.75 comes on the Spec SX.
DHX 9x2.75 is exactly what I found for my Kumicho. LOVE it!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
A 9x3 shock wouldn't steepen my head angle if I already have a 9x2.75.

I'm only asking because I can't really afford to pick up a roco or a dhx right now. There are lots of sweet used shocks that come in those other sizes though.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
What shock were you thinking about swapping in? I always thought swingers felt better than a 5th or a romic. Might just be my personal preference.

with a 9x3 shock you might end up with the same clearance problems as a 8.75x2.75, since you're adding that extra quarter inch of stroke.