Quantcast

I'm a doggie foster mommie!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I volunteered as a foster mom for the organization I got my rescued greyhound through. I got my first foster pup on saturday and he is an absolute angel!! He's a 75 pound, black male, and is 4 years old. Most of the retired dogs or rescued dogs stay in the adoption kennel until they find homes, but if a dog is returned (usually for a really stupid reason) they try and find them foster homes so they aren't too tramatized. Nate was returned one year after he was adopted because his owner took him to the vet for his annual check-up, boosters, vaccinations, and dental cleaning and suddenly realized she couldn't afford a dog. He's in a better place now though because from some of his actions, he didn't get out much. He seems to be adjusting well, and my girl Indy is actually taking to him quite nicely. Here are some picts of the pups:

(Indy's the shorter more graying one, and nate the bigger blacker one is my foster pup)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
That's so wonderful you're being a foster mom :love: After being retired those pups definitely deserve good homes where they can be pampered and be couch potatoes for 99.9% of the day!! :D

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Very noble of you! I've been a foster parents for dozens of animals and it's quite a good experience. It also helps socialize your own animals. Good on ya! :thumb:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Batman said:
Very noble of you! I've been a foster parents for dozens of animals and it's quite a good experience. It also helps socialize your own animals. Good on ya! :thumb:
The socializing aspect is a real plus, as my little girl is definetely an alfa, but has been getting lonely staying home during the day. It got really bad after I started working again after my accident. She got used to having me home more. Surprisingly enough, she's only voiced her opinion to nate twice since he came home on saturday, and once was because he accidentely sat on her while rearranging his blankey in the middle of the night.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Congratulations. We fostered a dog from our local Humane Society once (and ended up adopting her).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I inherited 2 dogs recently, on top of the one I already have they are driving me completely mad. I literally can't walk around my house without getting tripped up or stepping on one. I have been trying to find homes for them without luck but it has gotten to the point that I can't take care of all of them, taking a half day off today to find a rescue group that might be able to help me out. Of course these are mutts and there seem to be few groups that help mutts.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
caboverpete said:
We had a rescued greyhound for 6 years before he died of bone cancer and have to say they are the most amaizing dogs. Im not a big fan of alot of the adoption groups though.
I agree with you there. A lot of the groups are completely dishonest with people with regards to how the industry treats the animals (private vs. industry funded adoption groups). I live in Oregon though, which has a no kill law in place, so most of the adoption groups here (even industry funded) are a little more realistic with people, and actually tell them that dogs in other states are often times killed. The group I work through just took in 20 dogs from a track in Arizona where they were scheduled to be killed if someone didn't take them ASAP. Once a dog is inside the oregon border, it is illegal to kill it, regarless of where it came from. Greyhound racing is an icky business.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
dh girlie said:
How cute! That's so cool of you to foster him. I remember meeting Indy at Big Bear last year...she was so cute and sweet!
Indy is definitely a sweetie!!! She definitely hit the jackpot in her "retirement" home :)