Quantcast

I'm a goin to Whistlah!!!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yip, just booked my flights - 3 weeks from June 10th to July 1st! Can't freaking wait!!!!

only 130-odd days to go :'(

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
should be great, i've got a couple races up there, have you ever been? it is one of the most amazing places to ride in the world. crab apple hits is the best trail

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, I went for two weeks in August 2004 - loved it. Was going to return last year but had a lot else going on and it never happened. Favourite trails were Joyride, Crack Addict, A-line, Hornet and Whistler DH, IIRC... No Joke etc were good too, but they were pretty new so a bit sluggish!

What new stuff is happening for 06? I've looked at the 05 trailmap on whistlerblackcomb.com so can see lots of trails that weren't there in 04, but I bet there's going to be a whole raft of new stuff this summer?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
- seb said:
June 10th to July 1st!
I think the upper part of the park might be closed in some sections that early in the season - still lots of snow/mud up there then?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hahahahahahahaha

Don't say that, that sucks so bad! Anyone know for sure? I may be changing some flights!!!

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I went last summer the second week of July and they had just opened Garbanzo for riding right before we got there. I think sydasti is probably right about it beiong closed

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Just spoken to flyzoom.com, gonna cost us £50 each to change our flights, not the end of the world, but a PITA! Bit embarrassed mostly, I forgot Garbanzo opened later in the season!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well its just cutting it close - depends on the year. I think towards the end of June it starts to get better if you are lucky.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
auntesther said:
I went last summer the second week of July and they had just opened Garbanzo for riding right before we got there. I think sydasti is probably right about it beiong closed
Actually I've just read that last year they opened Garbanzon on 11th June, two weeks ahead of schedule because of good weather, but for the weekends only:

http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/garbanzo/

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Will probably change flights to 24th June - 15th July... any later in the season and they start getting quite a bit more expensive!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
- seb said:
Actually I've just read that last year they opened Garbanzon on 11th June, two weeks ahead of schedule because of good weather, but for the weekends only:

Kidwoo and I were there the first week of July last year and barely got to ride Garbanzo because of all the rain. Lost of trails get closed when the weather is shaits..

I might go the first (or second) week of July this year. I also want to go back in Aug.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
- seb said:

Last year British Columbia and Washington had very little snowfall (and a lousy ski season) from what I remember. I think that's what allowed the bike park to open earlier in the season than usual. This year it's a different story though from what I've heard.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DamienC said:
Last year British Columbia and Washington had very little snowfall (and a lousy ski season) from what I remember.
The mildest winter in recent history I think (at least for Alaska it was) :eek:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Acadian said:
Kidwoo and I were there the first week of July last year and barely got to ride Garbanzo because of all the rain. Lost of trails get closed when the weather is shaits..

I might go the first (or second) week of July this year. I also want to go back in Aug.

Yeah I have done that the last three years in a row but this year I am determined to wait a little longer, thinking more like August. Either that or go twice...there is still plenty of great riding but you can miss out on some great stuff and your bikes get even more thrashed than usual in the slop.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Acadian said:
Kidwoo and I were there the first week of July last year and barely got to ride Garbanzo because of all the rain. Lost of trails get closed when the weather is shaits.
Same here. I'm going first week of August this year.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Ok, your best bet is to go towards the middle/end of July. The weather is usually much better during that time of the year. Besides, you can catch Crankworks as well which usually runs in early August. Whistler had ****load of snow in the last few weeks so if the weather pattern continues (we had about 35 days of measurable rain in the last 40 days), I kinda doubt that the snow would clear by early June (unless we have a sudden change in weather pattern).

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
If you chage your flight, I will be there from July 8th-16th. Garbanzo is open during July normally. It was when I was there 2 years ago. Last year, early July, was closed because of a giant amount of rain.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Acadian said:

Luc, I remember seeing you last year during all the rain and meeting Kidwoo. I'bbe there early-middle July so maybe I'll get to meet you this time instead of just starring at your Sunday.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Don't forget to hit me up when you're up here this time. We do have other trails other than the bike park.

Acadian said:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ThePriceSeliger said:
Luc, I remember seeing you last year during all the rain and meeting Kidwoo. I'bbe there early-middle July so maybe I'll get to meet you this time instead of just starring at your Sunday.
for sure...you BETTER come and say hi this time!!! And better yet...do a run with me/us.

I'll probably end up going the second week of July and then later in the year. I want to hit Whistler more than once this year.

Anthony: I'll contact you when I'm up there next :thumb:

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
Im coming over from the UK and staying from the 1st July to 2nd September with Ticket2rideBC , cannot wait! End of gap year thing. Hoping to try as much as possible out there, will be based in Whistler but obviously want to ride the shore etc.

Roll on summer...

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Yeah, that's probably the best time to visit BC since the weather is good 90% of the time. Just hope we have a good balance of rain and sun (2 years ago trails were closed in August because of fire hazzard). Just try hit other spots other than whistler because they are different. Within 4 hours of Vancouver, you have two other bike parks that offer different riding experience (Sun Peaks & Silver Star).

sampo said:
Im coming over from the UK and staying from the 1st July to 2nd September with Ticket2rideBC , cannot wait! End of gap year thing. Hoping to try as much as possible out there, will be based in Whistler but obviously want to ride the shore etc.

Roll on summer...

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Wow! That is still some time away, just don't do anything stupid like break a bone or get maimed 6 weeks before you leave. However, if you make it there in one piece, have a great time and know that I will be here full of envy :angry:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I really want to bring my HT and my fully to ride Whistles this summer. All those dirt jumps are a little tough to do with lots of squish.

Price - July is looking like it will happed for me. Apparently I'll need a stupid diversity credit to graduate this year with a chem degree :think:, which means I have to take a class over the summer. In other words: I get one more summer vacation!

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
wicked, just remember this.

your bike will get stolen if you do not have it attatched to you. keep it in your room, do not leave it unattended for any amount of time.

have fun, it's a blast.

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
im so jelous i was planning on heading up there this summer but i tore my acl and i wont be able to ride until like september so any riding this season is out of the question:mumble:

hope you have fun anyways:thumb:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
ok planning on heading to Whistler this summer, I abosolutely hate full face helments. I'd probably end up whereing one, but what are suggestions from those that have been up ther before. I never where my full face unless I'm doing pure DH cource stuff, Which is a big part at whistler.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
untitledsince89 said:
ok planning on heading to Whistler this summer, I abosolutely hate full face helments. I'd probably end up whereing one, but what are suggestions from those that have been up ther before. I never where my full face unless I'm doing pure DH cource stuff, Which is a big part at whistler.
definately wear a full face, its all DH you can really easily loose your concentration especially towards the end of the day when youre really
tired, you can bearly hold on to the handle bars and you can see that your making small mistakes which then lead to injuries

i saw quite a few ppl have nasty crashes even on easy obstacles last year, its definately a full face riding area

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Get a fullface and wear it more when you ride and you will get use to it. You can get almost a whole summer of vertical in a week to 10 days at Whistler. Lots can happen.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Kanter said:
Get a fullface and wear it more when you ride and you will get use to it. You can get almost a whole summer of vertical in a week to 10 days at Whistler. Lots can happen.
This man speaks the truth. Just get used to it. How can't you focus with it on? Whistler isn't really pure DH, but the roots and slick rock and do a number on you if you fall.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
untitledsince89 said:
yea thats what I figured on. The only problem is that when I use my full face I can never fully concentrate on riding. Idk hopefully a new helmet will solve that
I like not having to concentrate or worry about smashing my teeth into my brain on all the rocks.....but hey, that's just me.......

RaID

Turbo Monkey
untitledsince89 said:
yea thats what I figured on. The only problem is that when I use my full face I can never fully concentrate on riding. Idk hopefully a new helmet will solve that

once you get used to wearing a fullface, anytime after when you wear a normal helmet you'll feel unprotected because your whole face will be exposed

trust me when you do 10000m vertical in one day you need a fullface