Quantcast

I'm a numbnut - how to change a tail light assembly?

Well it was early this am....it was dark....it was garbage day....

...and now I have to fix the hole in my tail light. The auto parts people tell me you have to change the whole assembly. I'm assuming I just unscrew the bolts and I'll find some wires inside attached to the vehicle with wire nuts.

Am I right?

Thanks.

>:O

splat

Nam I am
It depends on whereit is and where the nuts are located.

I have to chge one on our toyota , for the exact same reason. was actually a Royal PIA, and the dam thing was expensive!!! and it was all Molex plugs , no wire nuts

Keeping IAB away from tools and sharp objects is always a wise choice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It will not be wirenuts but a pre-fabbed connector. No auto manufacturer is going to pay some factory slob to wire nut something together.

It will not be wirenuts but a pre-fabbed connector. No auto manufacturer is going to pay some factory slob to wire nut something together.
well I didn't REALLY mean wire nuts but some type of easy assembly.

I did some googl'in and it looks like it might be uber easy - 05 Pathy.

"Just unscrew all of the bulb socket assemblies from the busted-up tail light and that's it...you're done."

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
On an 02 Xterra you open the hatch and remove 2 screws then you lightly tug the light off at an angle. The tabs will crack if you are not careful, so make sure you are. The Pathfinder should be really close in design, if not appearance.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what kind of car is it? usually youll have you peel away the carpet in the trunk of a car to get to the screws to take it out, or itll be inside the tailgate of a pickup, or behind some panels in a SUV.
there wont be any wire nuts. itll be a clip connection attached to the assembly. never use wire nuts in a car....keep them in the house

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
You may need a long skinny socket extender to get at the fasteners, basically the light assembly should have threaded studs that are held with small (usually 8-10mm) nuts.
There should be either an access panel that snaps off for access to change bulbs, or you may have to remove a largher interior trim panel (philips screws or maybe torx). Once it's off, remove all lamps (1/4 turn) and you're ready to remove the tailight ass'ly. Looking inside you should be able to see the threaded studs that come from the light ass'ly, maybe two or possibly three.
I had to do this to a subaru wagon recently, and the PITA part was getting the long socket extention up inside without losing it down inside the body panel. A long magnet is good to have if this happens...

Have you managed to find a replacement?
Here's one for 75
Or maybe try a local boneyard...

Last edited:
To remove or change the rear lights on the pathfinder simply open the tail gate, unscrew the 2 bolts or screws holding it to the body and pull it gently from the body.Reverse the proccess to replace. You shouldn't have to touch any of the trim inside.

Under $100 shipped from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016KB73C?smid=A2H0640FKBNN92&tag=pricegrabber2-auto-20&linkCode=asn

Thank you!

I actually was able to pick it up Friday at a local auto body shop for $92!

Now I just need the temperature outside to go up just a little before I attempt it. It's like in 14F right now LOL.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You were robbed. $7.50 at Ace

* Repairs all lenses, curved or flat
* For autos, trucks, trailers and SUV's
* No need to remove original lens
* Kit includes: 2-red, 1-amber & 1-clear panels, 2 sheets of adhesive strips, self adhesive lens pattern sheets, 1 alcohol swab & instructions

splat

Nam I am
You were robbed. $7.50 at Ace

* Repairs all lenses, curved or flat
* For autos, trucks, trailers and SUV's
* No need to remove original lens
* Kit includes: 2-red, 1-amber & 1-clear panels, 2 sheets of adhesive strips, self adhesive lens pattern sheets, 1 alcohol swab & instructions

won't pass inspection in our state with one of those. , To pass inspection in Mass, there can't be any Defect in the Lens

splat

Nam I am
seriously!

and besides, anyone who knows me knows I want the job done right - I'm not a complete hack.
Yup, Just a Minor crack and they are suppose to fail it. They don't always. We had a crack in the Vans one tail light. it passed 2 years in a row, but tis past year , the Bozo who inspected it failed it for the crack. its absolutely Stupid!! its not like the kreton behind me, couldn't see it was RED and I was stopping!!!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
To remove or change the rear lights on the pathfinder simply open the tail gate, unscrew the 2 bolts or screws holding it to the body and pull it gently from the body.Reverse the proccess to replace. You shouldn't have to touch any of the trim inside.

Under $100 shipped from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016KB73C?smid=A2H0640FKBNN92&tag=pricegrabber2-auto-20&linkCode=asn
Yeah, I'm glad it's super easy. I just changed out my brake lights today in the Car place parking lot while waiting for my mom so I could change her battery. The light took no time at all!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
does iab ever hand you the wrong tool?

do you yell at him?

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Nice Job.

The way the first few posts in this thread started, one would have thought it was going to require a PHD and a fleet of rocket scientists:rimshot:.