So Cal
Healing vibes to ya man.

Why does it not surprise me that BS is a closet Lifetime viewer? :think:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Welcome to the club.
I had arthro on my shoulder 3 weeks ago. Pretty bad tear in the rotator cuff and they had to remove a piece of cartilage floating in there.
In the sling until Thursday (4 weeks).
You guys saying you were up and going after a month...wow. They were telling me up to a year before getting back to DH.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Welcome to the club.
I had arthro on my shoulder 3 weeks ago. Pretty bad tear in the rotator cuff and they had to remove a piece of cartilage floating in there.
You guys saying you were up and going after a month...wow. They were telling me up to a year before getting back to DH.
:disgust1:

at the end of 8 weeks I was riding! nothing big just on the bike etc. It may be a year worst case scenario!

good luck!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
:disgust1:

at the end of 8 weeks I was riding! nothing big just on the bike etc. It may be a year worst case scenario!

good luck!
That seems more in line with how I'm feeling. I've been going to PT 3x a week and almost have full range of motion back already.

Thanks!

splat

Nam I am
Welcome to the club.
My physical Theriapist yelled at me for getting In Net 5 weeks after they sewed my rotator cuff back together, then was thrilled to see my range of mothion had increased almost 10 degrees, and then told me to go play again , but Be careful.

I also Threw an extra set of shoulder pads on over my chest protector. ( the other goalie had to help me get my jersey on over all of that.

splat

Nam I am
When I had my right SHoulder done, it was done on a Monday, I went and Had a 2nd interview with Fidelity investments , on Wednesday, I was lit up on Percs . My wife had to drive me there. I Have No idea what we talked about . -- I got a Job offer!! -- I turned them down

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
My physical Theriapist yelled at me for getting In Net 5 weeks after they sewed my rotator cuff back together, then was thrilled to see my range of mothion had increased almost 10 degrees, and then told me to go play again , but Be careful.

I also Threw an extra set of shoulder pads on over my chest protector. ( the other goalie had to help me get my jersey on over all of that.
That's funny!

I went to PT again today - they said I could be biking again in another couple weeks, seriously riding again by July/August. Sweet!

I guess they don't really know until they see how your body reacts.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Have fun with rehab, after i got mine i had to move it the next day. Not fun also took along time to get full motion back. Surgery was no fun i was said to take 2 hours, it took four. Then i woke up and threw up.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have felt fine. The list of dumb things is pretty long, as you will hear tomorrow. I have refrained from drinking while I am taking darvocet.
I was in the sling "stationary" for 2 weeks... when they took the sling off for the first time... it was the most excruciating pain and the shoulder felt like a door with rusty hinges as they moved my arm away from my body! :clapping: enjoy that! :disgust1: the thing is the range of motion will come back quick. Follow the PT and work hard it will pay dividends in the long run! :thumb:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I was in the sling "stationary" for 2 weeks... when they took the sling off for the first time... it was the most excruciating pain and the shoulder felt like a door with rusty hinges as they moved my arm away from my body! :clapping: enjoy that! :disgust1: the thing is the range of motion will come back quick. Follow the PT and work hard it will pay dividends in the long run! :thumb:
Yeah - I will do that for sure. I swapped forks on a bike yesterday and that was likely too much. I have stayed pretty well doped up, so I really don't know what's in store for me. I am trying to stay immobile, but haven't noticed any measurable stiffness when I am not.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yeah - I will do that for sure. I swapped forks on a bike yesterday and that was likely too much. I have stayed pretty well doped up, so I really don't know what's in store for me. I am trying to stay immobile, but haven't noticed any measurable stiffness when I am not.
that is good! lay low bro! My op. was pretty extensive and they wanted "NO MOVEMENT" with my arm for a set time, mostly because the ligaments etc. were suitured (sp) all together to tighten the socket back up, and they wanted those to fuse together. hence the "no movement for 2 weeks". If you were just scoped etc. I could see them having you move it around to prevent stiffness!

stay ahead of the pain curve as well! I think you know what happens when you let those pills lapse! :plthumbsdown:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Nice.
My sling is gone as of Thursday. So nice to be out of it.
Using my arm again and doc says I can start riding in 4 more weeks.
YES!
Hope yours heals up just as fast Loco.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I feel super fine, but due to the extensiveness of surgery, I have to wear this sling for 4 more weeks. God dammit!!! I hate this f*#king thing. :dead: I'm more useless than normal with it on.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Nope. Now it's "the f'n sling is still on party". This won't stop the Patron shots.
I'm on week 5 as of today.
Had to wear the sling for 4 straight weeks. I still have to wear it while I'm sleeping.

But man, it was totally worth it, my shoulder feels better than it did. Still a little sore if I use it too much right now, but I can tell its fixed.

Hang in there!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Well, my ortho surgeon asked why I still had my sling on Saturday. I responded that I was told by the sports med guy that I should wear it six weeks. He told me to move it around some. I have now. I still wear the sling some, but am being careful. That said, I did 20 miles on the road bike today and was mostly comfortable. The doc just told me to make sure not to crash. I was told by the head ortho that I should get aggressive with movements at four weeks, so it sounds like I am on the mend. I hope nothing is loosening up, but am ready to get on with things.

Glad to hear you are doing well, Kavu.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I should still be wearing the sling but I am kind of dumb and don't always. It doesn't hurt much and the surgeon acted like I should take a break from the sling. I have an appointment next week on Friday to see if I am in the clear. I got the bill today. The insurance is paying $17,000 for this.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I should still be wearing the sling but I am kind of dumb and don't always. It doesn't hurt much and the surgeon acted like I should take a break from the sling. I have an appointment next week on Friday to see if I am in the clear. I got the bill today. The insurance is paying $17,000 for this.
I'm on week 8 now. At week 6 I was finally able to stop wearing the sling completely.

Still haven't ridden yet, getting real antsy. Tomorrow I'm going to PT again, they said they'd let me know if I can ride.

I also got hit with a $2600 bill from the Ortho after insurance...plus my $1000 deductible I haven't been hit with yet...plus another $600+ in copays for the PT. Also missed an epic trip to Moab last weekend :banghead:

But, its feeling better than it ever did. Glad to hear you are doing well too Loco! :cheers:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Had the surgeon glance at my shoulder when he picked up a wheel I built for him and he thinks things look really good. I don't go until Friday for my appointment, but I think I'll take an easy spin on the dirt tomorrow, barring any rain. I said something to him and he was reluctant, but is mostly worried about a crash. I am tempting fate, but think I'll join Wumpus for an easy ride. It'd be awesome if I were able to hit the dirt again, after only 6 weeks.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Had the surgeon glance at my shoulder when he picked up a wheel I built for him and he thinks things look really good. I don't go until Friday for my appointment, but I think I'll take an easy spin on the dirt tomorrow, barring any rain. I said something to him and he was reluctant, but is mostly worried about a crash. I am tempting fate, but think I'll join Wumpus for an easy ride. It'd be awesome if I were able to hit the dirt again, after only 6 weeks.
My Physical Therapist gave me the go ahead to start doing some light XC riding! :monkeydance:

I have one more visit before they cut me loose. I have almost full range of motion and I've been doing strength training the last two visits. The PT Trainer is brutal - lots of core work and balance.

My doc is worried about a crash too. But, he said to just use my head and don't do anything stupid. :biggrin:

My shoulder feels great though. Much better than it has in about 5 years.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Yeah, Kavu. Congrats on your healing. I rode pretty easy, but hit as many techy ups as I could and felt pretty good. I slowed on the downs and loose turns. Wumpus didn't take me on too many sissy trails after I didn't take a by pass on a sketchy climb. It was so nice to be on the dirt. We'll see what the doc has to say in the AM.