Quantcast

I'm Forked!!! Help!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I went to build up my new King Kikapu frame today only to discover that the fork is way too short. I need a new one ASAP. Must be 100mm travel, airsprung, and steerer tube 8.25 min.

I currently have a unicycle. Help me out, Monkeys!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Reactor said:
Honestly, I'm the happiest with Price Points crappy factory seconds (I just got burned on one of their HRMs).

And, Spat, I did get your mail. Rob placed an ebay bid, so we'll see what comes of it (I think I'm looking for something a little newer and silver). But I'll let you know. Thanks for going out of your way for me.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
Honestly, I'm the happiest with Price Points crappy factory seconds (I just got burned on one of their HRMs).

And, Spat, I did get your mail. Rob placed an ebay bid, so we'll see what comes of it (I think I'm looking for something a little newer and silver). But I'll let you know. Thanks for going out of your way for me.
Maybe you got a bad HRM, but OEM does not mean "factory second". You should really tune up on what's what before you criticize. :think:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
loco said:
Maybe you got a bad HRM, but OEM does not mean "factory second". You should really tune up on what's what before you criticize. :think:
Actually, according to my LBS owner, the bike companies sell their factory seconds or over productions to Price Point, meaning they aren't always the products you assume they are (and it makes any warrenty almost impossible to follow up on). He dealt with the company and their sloppy seconds for years before giving them the boot.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
Actually, according to my LBS owner, the bike companies sell their factory seconds or over productions to Price Point, meaning they aren't always the products you assume they are (and it makes any warrenty almost impossible to follow up on). He dealt with the company and their sloppy seconds for years before giving them the boot.
OEM does not mean seconds. The reason some manufacturers don't deal with folks like price point is that price point bought the stuff from a bike manufacturer. That makes it more difficult for them to want to warranty stuff. Bike companies usually take the brunt of the cost to make things right, so companies sell cheaper to them, based on that, and on quantity. As far as I know, there is no difference between a Fox retail fork, and an OEM fork. Your LBS owner is partially right, but he is protecting his sales by condemning folks like Price Point. I have always had good luck. My LBS doesn't suck, so if I buy something online and it needs warranty, he helps out. I am glad I don't have to use your local shop. I think I sense a little lip service. There are lots of folks in the industry here that will gladly explain how it all works. Get ready for mixed emotions, but big company doesn't always equal crappy company.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
buying something on-line, and then expecting yr LBS to work w/ you on a warranty issue when the thing goes pear-shaped, is at the very least bad Karma.

J

JRB

narlus said:
buying something on-line, and then expecting yr LBS to work w/ you on a warranty issue when the thing goes pear-shaped, is at the very least bad Karma.
I disagree. If you saved a boat load on the item, but buy most things from the shop, it's bad karma for them to not help out. What if it's a used fork or something?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
let's compare to apples to apples here, unless your LBS is also in the habit of selling used forks.

the profit margin a shop has for selling a new part is (my guess, as i've never worked @ an LBS) much higher than any labor done as a repair. for a warranty claim, do they even get any remittance? i'd think probably not; you are using them for as an advocate because of their relationship w/ the local MFG rep, something that on-line stores can't offer. i'd bet the LBS doesn't see any money from the time spent on the phone, hashing out an RMA.

any LBS-working monkeys want to chime in?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I buy 95% of my stuff online, if theres an issue & its under warranty - I deal with it myself directly with the manufacter

I dont even think about taking it to a shop.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
douglas said:
I buy 95% of my stuff online, if theres an issue & its under warranty - I deal with it myself directly with the manufacter

I dont even think about taking it to a shop.

I'm with you. I buy almost everything on line or with a price match from the local performance bike (same diff).

I got so tired of the local wrenches screwing up my bikes, and them coming up with a some lame excuse, and not wanting to fix it. I'm talking about things like bending my derailleur hanger, and claiming it was that way when I brought it in. Once they adjusted the front derailleur so far out during a tune up that the crank arm was actually making contact with it, then claimed they didn't know how it happened. Having cranks fall off in the middle of a ride, because the crank bolt wasn't tightened. One mechanic worked on Trainwreck's bike and cut the piece of cable housing under the BB too short, so in the middle of the Tour of the white mountains pre-ride it stopped working, we had to strip his front der cables off, adjust the der to the middle chainring, and he rode a 9 speed the rest of the way.

To top it off, Every time I went they had a two week or more waiting list. I can wrench a bike better than most LBS people, my only reason fro taking my bike to the LBS was to save my time. When it started costing me more time to fix their mistakes, I stopped going.

I've never had a real problem getting my money back for a bad mail order part. The most I've ever been out is some shipping.

The Fox forks Pricepoint, Jenson, et al. sells are stock forks. My Talas XTT came in a fox box, with an uncut steerer, and manuals and warranty cards. A few places like Bobs bikes sell take offs, but they are the exception, not the rule.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
loco said:
OEM does not mean seconds. The reason some manufacturers don't deal with folks like price point is that price point bought the stuff from a bike manufacturer. That makes it more difficult for them to want to warranty stuff. Bike companies usually take the brunt of the cost to make things right, so companies sell cheaper to them, based on that, and on quantity. As far as I know, there is no difference between a Fox retail fork, and an OEM fork. Your LBS owner is partially right, but he is protecting his sales by condemning folks like Price Point. I have always had good luck. My LBS doesn't suck, so if I buy something online and it needs warranty, he helps out. I am glad I don't have to use your local shop. I think I sense a little lip service. There are lots of folks in the industry here that will gladly explain how it all works. Get ready for mixed emotions, but big company doesn't always equal crappy company.
I order most bike related stuff online, many times from big companies and I have no problem with that. Yes, I got two crappy HRMs from Price Point. I just thought it was interesting to learn more about them after this happened. My LBS wasn't saying that you can't get warrenties on their products. He was saying that it just makes one extra step to get something fixed (ie: it's just an extra hassle, but you're getting a good price). And if anything, he encourages me to go online to find products when he knows he can't match the price and I do my fair share of ordering parts from him as well.

The issue with Price Point is more about where they got their products and the shape they're in. I've heard lots of complaints about faulting products (that are brand name) coming out of PP.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
MMcG said:
This might do the trick bluebug:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20712&estore_ID=546

Light fork with travel adjust.
I have that IT travel on my Nixon Platinum, it can be a little finicky at times. When you do finally want to get all your travel back, you will either have to pop a wheelie while holding down the realease lever or completely get off the bike to release the travel. Either way will get you back all your travel. I just don't like getting off the bike, so I learned the wheelie trick.

Thats just a little info on the IT adjust feature though, let me know if you have any more questions about that feature.