Quantcast

I'm going to Hong Kong!!

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
stay away from kowloon at night and dont go drinking in the bars unless you bring alot of money. we were paying $20 a pitcher when i was there in 2001.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
OK, first off, ignore about 70% of this thread.

Hong Kong is really 3 distinct places: Hong Kong island is the south end and most famous, Kowloon is on the other side of the bay and the new territories, north of that, which was purchased by GB back in the day when they needed to expand things.

HK is the traditional business area, tons of banks and multi-national companies. For fun, find the HSBC building.

Supposedly it was built like this (modular) so that it could be taken apart and removed by helicopter when china took over in 1997. This was told to me by people at HSBC when I was there a few years back.

In HK you will see lots of luxury, expensive neighborhoods, financial opulence. All the good stuff. If you want to see the best views, go up to the point. Its touristy, but you can't beat it:

Kowloon is on the other side of the bay. This is where you do all of your cheap shopping and do your conveyor belt sushi. Kowloon is neon, inexpensive suits (good suits at low prices) and night markets.

New territories is like the "suburbs" of hong kong, only went up there once, but the most incredible seafood place I went to had all the tanks out front. Choose what you want and they pull it, then cook it. Definitely get some razor clams.

Oh, DRINK THE WATER. It's no big deal. Yeah, the airport is sinking, but it is like a half an inch a year. In 25 years they will still be a few feet away from problems.

All the pics are here:

http://www.austinbike.com/travel/index.asp

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I was just in Hong Kong over Christmas visiting my sister who luckily lives two blocks from Long Kwai Fong and about 3 blocks from Soho. I hadn't been to HK in 12 years prior to this trip and I have to say that Hong Kong absolutely blew me away. I love that place and can't wait to get back. While you're there I suggest hitting up the small hole in the wall restaurants. That's where you can reallly appreciate the food.

And if you dig cigars, Cubans aren't illegal there but don't buy any from the Duty Free. That's where the worst batches go. I would suggest the Red Chamber Cigar Divan in Central. Oh and any chance you could bring some Ramon Allones back I"ll PAY!!!.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's a good idea. Apparently there's a huge black market for iphones over there. i'm tempted to buy as many as I can before i get on the plane...

my only question.... how hard is it to get cuban cigars through customs?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
that's a good idea. Apparently there's a huge black market for iphones over there. i'm tempted to buy as many as I can before i get on the plane...

my only question.... how hard is it to get cuban cigars through customs?
Not very. First of all customs didn't even check my luggage. Secondly one other thing you can do is slip the bands off over the top of the cigar. Fairly easy thing to do and pack them separately. If you get checked say they're dominican or nicuraguan. Customs has no way to prove the validity of your statement and has to let you go. If you go to any of the established cigar stores and tell them that you're bringin them back to the US they'll know what to do to package them. Aside from the Red Chamber Cigar Divan, there's another cigar store in the Pennisula hotel that's the dope show. Just don't go to the cigar store in Long Kwai Fong. They suck.