Quantcast

I'm going to Moab!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'd personally skip Flat Pass if I could do it again... way too much dust and sand. Also last week was jeep week so the trails got hammered. Its been about 3 years since the last time i was at Moab and I never remembered seeing so many ATVs and motorbikes. Every single ride hand some kind of motorist on it. And Slick Rock is nice if you've never done it before. But if you skip it, its no big deal. Porcupine Rim is a must do everytime I go though.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Dog Welder said:
Just got back from Moab...weather is freakin perfect. 3 days, two rides a day...can't get better. Drove in Last Thursday and did Klondike Bluffs to Baby Steps with this brand new singletrack inbetween. Friday morning did Flat Pass via the road and in the afternoon did Amasa Back (There were base jumpers off one of the bluffs). Saturday did Porcupine Rim and then Gemini Bridges. Sunday we left but hit Soverign on the way out. I'd skip Jax and go to a real pizza joint. Paid ten bucks a person and the pizza was like 75% dough. I eat a lot but al I could do was 6 slices. Should just bought a couple of real pizzas.
You better have brought a camera....

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Nice; enjoy it! I'll be over there the 4th-9th, riding everyday. Though it's only a six hour drive for me!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Dog Welder said:
I'd personally skip Flat Pass if I could do it again... way too much dust and sand. Also last week was jeep week so the trails got hammered. Its been about 3 years since the last time i was at Moab and I never remembered seeing so many ATVs and motorbikes. Every single ride hand some kind of motorist on it. And Slick Rock is nice if you've never done it before. But if you skip it, its no big deal. Porcupine Rim is a must do everytime I go though.
Good to know about Flat Pass. Some other people who'd ridden it in years past had recommended it, but I hate sand. That's why I'm not a big fan of Poison Spider. Way too many sand traps. We'll probably do Slickrock on friday, Sovereign on saturday and Bartlett Wash on the way out on sunday.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pixelninja said:
Good to know about Flat Pass. Some other people who'd ridden it in years past had recommended it, but I hate sand. That's why I'm not a big fan of Poison Spider. Way too many sand traps. We'll probably do Slickrock on friday, Sovereign on saturday and Bartlett Wash on the way out on sunday.
Behind the Rocks was by far the sandiest ride i did...the last couple of miles were a laugh.

i don't recall Flat Pass as being too sandy. we did see a black bear though.

derek, if you decide to rent a bigger travel bike, do the moab rim trail.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
well after all that setup I chickened out. I just didn't think I would have fun spending a whole week away from the sweet wifey :heart:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Seriously, why didn't you take her?
Yeah, based your pics, your wife looks like she appreciates bikes and being generally active, i.e. non-couch potato. There are some great easy trails around Moab and awesome hikes for sightseeing. Dedicate a day or two to spending the day with her, you can ride a couple days, and you can still spend every night cuddling.

Unless, of course, this was going to be a guys-only type trip where it would be frowned upon to bring any female that isn't a stripper :love:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
manhattanprjkt83 said:
How bout that big ass ledge in slickrock that you have to haul ass at through the sand to try and make it up...tough...
You're hitting this on the way back, right? If we're talking about the same ledge, I'm 2 for 2 on cleaning it.

J

JRB

I'll bet some dillholes actually have given you negative rep for wanting to hang with your wife. I hate leaving Julie, and now that Caroline is here, it's really hard.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
We will get to Moab together, but I felt a bit awkward saying to the guy that invited me - Hey do you mind if I bring my wife? Besides, she likes to give her work a bit more notice than that if we take off somewhere..

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BAH said:
We will get to Moab together, but I felt a bit awkward saying to the guy that invited me - Hey do you mind if I bring my wife? Besides, she likes to give her work a bit more notice than that if we take off somewhere..
Totally understandable. Just bustin on ya...:)