Quantcast

I'm not asking

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Isn't that great?

Rather than mull endlessly over whether to singlespeed or not singlespeed this bike, or to rigid fork it vs. Fox Air vs. Z1, I simply decided on my own, without consulting the Internet... I mean, what do you know that I don't about where I'm going to ride or what I plan on doing with the bike?? It's just internet mastrubation to ask.

The amazing part is that this is the first time I've even thought about bikes or riding in over a year. And now my RFX is running like a top and ready to go for tomorrow (on a long ride along the lake...just what an RFX was made for...) and I'm getting the hardtail all ready to build back up.

And I decided that I want a rigid singlespeed. So there. That's what I'm going to have. I'm sure that a year from now it'll have a rear derailleur, 8spd cassette, and a suspension fork. But right now, I'm gonna give this a try.

Welcome me back to biking!!! It's been WAY too long. Hopefully I'll have some African offroad shots for you soon...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FYI, I rarely ask "what fork should I buy?" type questions on the intraweb. I might ask a buddy strictly to confirm my thinking.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
When someone like MikeD says to you "I'm not asking", you do it.

Here, I think he's saying that a rigid SS is all he could get in the jungle. :D

Enjoy fella!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I haven't even looked at a bike part since 05...I have no idea what's out there now. I'm still cannibalizing an ample supply of decrepit stuff from 02-04 for the most part. (Love my Hayes Mags...)

Has anyone come up with a bomber offroad internally-geared 2 or 3 speed hub yet?

Weren't we all supposed to be on Nicolai G-Boxx carbon fiber jetbikes by now??

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Fixie'd be cool, but I can't buy capris over here...
You could always have SS send you a pair of short shorts.

Dude. You built bikes without consulting the internet? :disgust1: OK, but when you're Just Riding Along and your front wheel falls off don't say we didn't warn you.

:thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Heh. Along with the rigid fork, yeah.

Man, I loved the way that thing rode until I almost ****ing died.

I personally was a big Internet consulter. I had no SCA meetings to otherwise occupy my time... :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Holy crap. I can say with authority that the RFX is not a road bike. Just in case anyone was wondering.

And based on today's experiences, I may rig this hardtail up with a derailleur, or at least with a choice of cogs out back somehow.

Long, long flat rides around a lake ringed by severe mountains...I really don't want to be spinning out 25-milers, or unable to climb the hills on the way back home...hmmm.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Welcome back btw.

I am actually thinking about (gasp) getting more than one speed on my bike for the first time since 2001.

I have NO idea what dérailleurs/shifters are out there now since I haven't worked at a shop in years.

Good luck to us.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks, guys. And no matter what, I can still vascillate. After discovering I have no spacers for my freehub body, and after realizing the Fox air is only a scant bit heavier than the rigid and recalling that it has lockout, I will now have an 8-speed hardtail with front suspension. :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And I haven't even started putting it together yet. Wait and see.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fooled you! I now have a rigid singlespeed...with only a front brake for the moment. This is cool!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And even though I didn't ask for help deciding anything, as a true Ridemonkey should, I will post pictures.

Managed to scrape an old Hayes Comp into service as a back brake, and even found a 6" adapter so I didn't have to run a rather ridiculous 8". Still don't have one for the front, though. Digging the Michelin trail tires. Running a 34x18 gearing now; really doubt I could push anything heavier with the hills around here. I will try to make it to the top of the mountain tomorrow morning. I predict pain. The "simplicity" in singlespeeding is, I'm learning, simply pain.

And for good measure, the RFX:

From no bikes to 2 bikes in a weekend is a good thing! Looking forward to being back in the saddle.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So, are you American African yet and if so does that qualify you for any cool programs or scholarships? When you come back you can at least claim that you are now African American, I think it's in vogue now but just so there is no second doubts you should get a big ass clock to wear around you neck...maybe blast some PE for theme music..on second thought, update that clock to a digital to show you are up with the times.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pegboy, I'm friends with Donnie--does that count? Or does that make me African-Canadian by contagion? (I need to PM you on something, though-funny you should pop up on this thead...)

TJ, Africa's cool and digging the gig. Will be on to another post next year; we'll see where.