Quantcast

I'm not MAXXIS hating but the kendas held up.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Everyone pretty well knows by now that we are at a loss of a superb product with the discontinue of the slow reezay (greatest tire ever).
I strayed and went kenda when I couldn't get my sry's from maxxis. So here's the low down on the 2nd best tire:
I got my stans to finally fill all the little holes in the kenda sidewalls and rode it today in the rain and mucky ground doing the occasional drop and off to the the 2 test spots #1) an off camber 5' drop landing onto rocks semi jagged and 6-8". I use this drop to see if I got them sealed completely or is the sidewall going to burp, with tubes I got a snake bite every time I drop this particular spot not to mention bent the bb splines and a crank.
#2) a retaining wall behind wal mart that is 30" down pretty steep and full of jagged rocks and a tires worst nightmare occasional rim aswell.
Anywhow the nevegal rear and bluegroove front held up and performed as good as my sry minions. So getting them wasn't a bad decision.
If maxxis doesn't rerun the sry's for the US then all who posted in the maxxis sucks forum should now a good alterantive is the KENDAS. They rocked this afternoon and to those who suggested it, thank you.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I ran nevegals last season and loved them but i found they bottomed a lot when running like 20psi on a 150lb rider. At whistler off the aline drop i heard my rim bang so many times. But i never flatted so thats a plus.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
Has anyone else got feedback on these? how is the casing (puncture resistance)
we're thinking about selling these at our shop and any feedback would be apreciated, I don't want agro from unsatisfied customers ;)
chears
pj

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I never got a single puncture this past season and i rode everywhere from east coast(snowshoe), colorado, hood river oregon, whistler, vancouver, and northstar. I normally dont pinch flat but my tires were bottoming hard on my rims i got a few dents on my trailpimips and not a single flat off some decent sized stuff.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I think Kenda's are much better when ran tubeless, in fact that's all I'll run them. I've pinched a number of tubes, not to mention the one at the US Open which cost me top 10.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
bullcrew said:
Everyone pretty well knows by now that we are at a loss of a superb product with the discontinue of the slow reezay (greatest tire ever).
When did Maxxis discontinue the SRY's, they still show on their website.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I ran Kendas for a year and flatted virtually EVERY single time I rode them. It was unreal. Pinch flats at up to 40 psi, and big casing rips/punctures when run tubeless. They drove me ****ing insane, and had 2 race runs toasted b/c of flats (one pinch, one big sidewall rip).

I'm not a hack really; I had perfect luck with Maxxis and Michelin all my life, a good 2 years of zero flats on those tires. I think my Kendas were cursed or something....

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
What are some good Kenda tires for super rocky conditions? Like 3min rockgardens with lose dirt inbetween rocks.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I run the blue groove front and nevegal rear now and haven't had a problem, the rocks we ride here are approx. 4-10" nasty sharp ones and held up. I ran it on both minions and the kendas and they perform almost spot on, I would go with a 2 ply side wall if you are running tubes though. I run the single ply side wall and go tubeless with zero problems. They don't even burp at all on hard or off camber landings.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I only have experience with the old school kenda kinetics (DH) tires that I only had because I won then @ a race... and in regular (we give the stuff we can't sell as race prizes) fashion, they were the worst tires I've ever run... after almost landing me on my face and pinch flatting too many times, I gave them away.

I've heard folks have had some luck w/ the new compounds.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
dump said:
I only have experience with the old school kenda kinetics (DH) tires that I only had because I won then @ a race... and in regular (we give the stuff we can't sell as race prizes) fashion, they were the worst tires I've ever run... after almost landing me on my face and pinch flatting too many times, I gave them away.

I've heard folks have had some luck w/ the new compounds.
The new tires are worlds better than the old, for sure. The old ones were crap, the new stuff is just as good as any other manufacturer.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
DßR said:
I ran Kendas for a year and flatted virtually EVERY single time I rode them. It was unreal. Pinch flats at up to 40 psi, and big casing rips/punctures when run tubeless. They drove me ****ing insane, and had 2 race runs toasted b/c of flats (one pinch, one big sidewall rip).

I'm not a hack really; I had perfect luck with Maxxis and Michelin all my life, a good 2 years of zero flats on those tires. I think my Kendas were cursed or something....
Same here. The Kendas I owned were the worst tyres I've ever used, mainly for that reason (the lack of grip thing also helped).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Like I said before i weigh 205 -210 and land pretty sketchy and I don't care what I land on or in generally and the Kendas haven't flatted yet.
They are a good tire, I love my maxxis and started using Kenda due to the discontinue of the sry. The Kendas are awesome tires and have proven bullet proof this far.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I like the fact that they are a soft durometer but not too soft so they starting losing knobs...I think the'yre around 50 duro...to me it's the perfect durometer...any softer and you lose knobs any harder and you give up some traction...D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
BMXman said:
yeah I like the fact that they are a soft durometer but not too soft so they starting losing knobs...I think the'yre around 50 duro...to me it's the perfect durometer...any softer and you lose knobs any harder and you give up some traction...D
Yeah, they grip awesome and hold up better than expected. I ride fr urban alot and dh and haven't lost a knob or blown a sidewall yet and thats with the single ply running tubeless.
The traction is great wether it's wet or hot the stick.
I'd guess the same as BMXman. They are softer than a 60d and almost the same as a sry but with alot less wear and excellent traction and cornering.