Quantcast

I'm out for the rest of the summer

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
On my race run at the Whistler Canadian Nationals, I hit a hole, cartwheeled and broke my ulna. I got up and knew my arm was broke, but for whatever stupid reason I got back on and finished the race (mostly one-handed) including the infamous GLC drop.

The doc. said it was called a "nightstick" fracture as it's the type you'd get defending yourself from a police baton.

6 weeks with a cast up to my armpit. :angry: :mad:

I'm going to miss all the rest of the races, but I'm most choked about the World Masters.

Man this thing hurts even with all the Percacet (sp?).
Typing with one hand sucks too.

See you later guys,
Steve

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Holy crap dude, you hit the GLC drop w/ a broken arm?!?! Hope you feel better soon. And hey, at least you've still got one arm to work with. :evil: :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
EVRAC said:
I hit a hole, cartwheeled and broke my ulna.
What the heck bone is the ulna? I broke my right humerus last summer at Whistler. I'm not going to lie to you....rehab really really sucks:eviltongu

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sorry to hear about your crash and injury. Take care of yourself and heal up soon.

At least you can say that you went down "still firing". Getting back in the saddle after breaking an arm in the middle of a race and then doing a big drop is definitely hardcore. (Although I wouldn't recommend this to anyone for safety reasons):)

Ya got guts, and you refuse to quit - good attitude to have for the recovery.

Take Care.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Snacks said:
What the heck bone is the ulna? I broke my right humerus last summer at Whistler. I'm not going to lie to you....rehab really really sucks:eviltongu
The ulna and radius are the 2 bones in the lower arm. Breaking your humerus is much worse.

Netguy said:
I am pretty sure my buddy got your crash on video.
Hook me up! I kind of doubt it was me cause it was sort of in the woods after the course joined lower joyride and I didn't see any cameras rolling.

All of this makes me feel like a wuss after reading about berny pizarro. Please forward all your good wishes to her instead.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I'm so sorry for you... I broke my radius (that other wrist bone) back at the end of Jan.

Get some good calcuim and lotsa Vitimin C. Follow your doc's recommendations to the letter - no cheating! I did this, and was cleared to ride almost a month earlier than expected.

You will want to defy your doctor's orders and get out there sooner than you should. Resist this temptation. You will thank yourself when you can still use the arm without debilitating arthritis years from now.

Chin up, Steve. You're in good company.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
I broke my radius and had surgery a few weeks ago, last summer I broke my humerus. Humerus rehab hurt more than breaking it as for my wrist I gotta say damn I have a nasty scar. Watch out when I stopped taking Percecet and Hydrocodone last week I had "Transpotting" withdrawl. Really bad night sweats, insomnia,fatigue and the worse stomach you can imagine. Drugs are bad next time well I hope theres no next time I'll take the pain with out the drugs old school style like when I was young and angry.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I was told that when i broke my radius (10 weeks ago) that had i broken my ulna it would have been much worse. Either way, i know exactly how you feel, good luck with the recovery and keep up the physio once you're out of your cast.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Get well soon, and don't let you're self get too soft while recovering. I learned this the hard way, it takes a lot of work to get back in shape after sitting around for a couple of months.

Cheers!