Quantcast

I'm quitting my jorb to wander the country.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The reason for the trip is the fact that I have the means to do it. I don't have any responsibilities but I do have a bit of cash saved up. I've driven across the country before, but it's always been rushed. I want to take my time and really enjoy it.

Biking is definitely a part of this excursion. I'll be taking a BMX bike and my minilink along for the ride. That said, I haven't heard much back from the friend in Montana. I might just have to head through Utah instead. A couple of you guys out west will be hearing from me, thank you for the hospitable offers.

The girlfriend is not coming with me. She's got school and a business to run that she's starting with her mom. If you're desperate to see what she looks like PM me. I won't be posting that publicly. I've got a touch more sense than PSP.

Sandwich, I'm going to miss you. You knew this day would come. Let me go. I'll come back, because it was meant to be.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Hey Woody I live in Bozeman and I'm always open for a fellow biker crashing. Also I see your route takes you through Kansas on I-70. Manhattan, KS is off I-70 and there are some pretty cool guys there that you would probably like to ride with, no it isn't much but they try work with what they have. Just give me some dates you would be passing through.

Oct 9, 2006
Buy an National Parks pass...it will more than pay for itself in half price camping and free parking in any National Park/Monument/Recreational area and so on!!

Another trick...camping if you come in later and leave early you can fly under the radar and skeez some free camping. Campgrounds will usually sell you a shower for as little as a dollar...and once you get across the border and before you head back in the states there is a great RV Park called Peace Arch right off 99 and they have the best $1 showers on the road.

Idaho is full of awesome natural hotsprings if you are into that.

Once you get to Whistler there is free camping if you look in the right places....PM me for info on one of the prettiest car camping spots up there!!!

TAKE YOUR ALCOHOL TO CANADA WITH YOU AND LOTS OF IT....it is expensive as hell up there and a terrible selection.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
road trip rev2.JPG

The first leg of the trip is done. I'm at my parent's home in Syracuse pulling together the things I think I'll need for the trip.
I've revised the planned route to work in several suggestions from this thread. You'll notice there are a lot more stops out west.

I'll be posting pictures in my picasa account and updating a thread in the ride reports forum: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200576

Thanks for all the interest and well-wishing. It's not too late for suggestions, so please fire them my way if you've got any.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Are you trying to avoid Oregon? I swear we're not that bad.....I even shower occasionally

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
good choice on driving through Colorado to Utah...went from Denver through Wyoming then down to salt lake...the drive through Wyoming was the worst part of the whole trip

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
It's good your doing this now. Someday is may be to expensive (see Toshi's $20/gal) to do this. Have fun, I am hella envious...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Woody,

I see you are rolling through Pittsburgh, if you wanna ride hit me up with an email. I'll show you some spots.

_Bill

Insane props for this trip man i see myself doing something very similar once i pay off my car and dont have many bills to worry about...

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
If you're stopping through Blacksburg, VA you can give me a holler and we'll ride through Tech campus and can hit up Brush Mountain or something.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
In heaven there is no beer .
You seem to forget an important verse...

"Your eternal reward... Irish whiskey with the Lord"

You won't need beer.

W00dy, man that sounds like a reat trip. Road trips are awesome! Have fun and be safe out there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just a real shame that people don't mark Pisgah near the top of their "places to ride". I've lived here all my life, had a bike for 15 years...and still haven't ridden all the epic singletrack we have. And I smile every time I ride....

Best wishes to you brother. The guy who mentioned Glacier is right on. A friend did a trip there and just the disposable camera pics she showed me had me in awe.