Quantcast

Im terrible at 180s

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
I've looked over the older threads and I just have a few more questions and i guess ranting just cause this is so frustrating.

I've been practicing and just cant get the motions down.
I understand that you have to lift the front wheel up first and then the rear wheel, but everytime I try this, I end up with some weird manual thing that only gets 90 degrees over that just bends the rear wheel.

With the 180, when lifting the front wheel, do you throw all your weight back? or is the weight still centered over the bike? Should I be lifting straight up? or pulling to one side and looking back as I lift the front end up? If I do that correctly, the back should naturally come around right?

I see videos and go frame by frame looking at their motions, and try to copy it. In my mind's eye, it seems so simple, just a quick twisting and lifting motion and they're around, but try as I can, I just cant get it! It doesn't help that I have no where to practice, Ive been practicing in a parking garage on flat ground. This is so damn frustrating. Day after day, no progression, just constantly destroying my rear wheel. How long did it take you guys to get 180s down?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what bike are you on? a 20" is best to learn em on for sure. 26" only after you already know how to do them....

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
I need a couple more things before my bmx is ready, but i've been trying to learn on my 26".
I'll be switching to the bmx when its roadworthy, which is hopefully soon.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i'm in the same boat.
few months back i thought i got 180s, i did a tonn of them for a good week or two, and then they left :(

the 180s i did do were the both wheels at the same time ones, which are wrong, yet still fun.

going a bit faster did help, because it also makes it easier to rollback and halfcab out.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
good points. they'll be easier on your bmx once that's rolling. i never look back while rotating 180, always looking forward. trying it out of a bank might help. it can be tricky on a flat hop.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Try to find a step or sidewalk you can ride off of, go faster and think of the movement coming from your hips and core. I started focusing on snapping my hips around and it came almost instantly. If you're still having trouble, try taking some video of yourself and analyze it vs the videos you've seen.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Try 180s on a bank. It works. then once you get the moiton down try 'em flat

hmm, i duno about that. i've been doing 180s on banks/quarters for years. i get way more then a 180 on a bank. the difference is that on a bank you 180 when you momentum stops, while on a rollin flat 180 u gotta keep that momentum going... no?

tonka

Chimp
May 3, 2008
gilroyy
aight make sure that your throwing your body into it.and wen i say body i mean turn your head and shoulders into the directiohn you wanna spin. usually the harder your turn, the quicker and easier it is to spin.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
i learned on 26. it will most likely take a year or two to learn them. I woould love to meet the person who learns to 180 in 1 month. Don't ask for suggestions. It is like a bunny hop, just do it.
I need help when i have no idea what im doing. Its like when I was learning bunny hops. I tried learning by myself and was frustrated that I couldn't get higher than a foot. Then after maybe half a year of this, I had an epiphany and realized that if I threw my weight back, the front would automatically lift up. First time I tried that, I jumped higher than all my previous attempts. I'm just trying to bypass those months of learning something the wrong way.

Try to find a step or sidewalk you can ride off of, go faster and think of the movement coming from your hips and core. I started focusing on snapping my hips around and it came almost instantly. If you're still having trouble, try taking some video of yourself and analyze it vs the videos you've seen.
This is what I need to do. I'll definitely focus on rotating my hips next time I practice.

Rolzey

Chimp
Jul 11, 2009
Londiddillydon
i learned on 26. it will most likely take a year or two to learn them. I woould love to meet the person who learns to 180 in 1 month. Don't ask for suggestions. It is like a bunny hop, just do it.
i learnt them in a day on a step up.. :D but cant get past 90' on flat :(

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
bite your shoulder. ie, you go where your head goes. bunnyhop with the rotation started, then jam your head into the shoulder you want to turn towards and keep it there, if youre lucky youll end up with a 360 even.

bobkelso

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Bay Area
I learned 360's out of a flyout first. Then went after 180's out of it. Then I took them to the flat. Then I took that to ledges, curbs, drops...etc.

Not saying it's the end all be all, but just how I did it.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Practice, practice, practice. I practiced on flat ground, over and over for hours on end until I got them.