Quantcast

Important Question

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What kind of riding do you do? Where are you riding? Budget? Would this be a first bike or upgrade? Age (often determines abuse level on bike)? Your riding experience? Etc. You need to give us more here.

MountainGuru

Chimp
Feb 28, 2017
What kind of riding do you do? Where are you riding? Budget? Would this be a first bike or upgrade? Age (often determines abuse level on bike)? Your riding experience? Etc. You need to give us more here.
I ride trail and all mountain in PA. My budget is under $1,000. This will be my first bike but i have been riding a friends Bike for the past year, and im 17. I would say I am a good rider and i would like this bike to last a couple years

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I ride trail and all mountain in PA. My budget is under $1,000. This will be my first bike but i have been riding a friends Bike for the past year, and im 17. I would say I am a good rider and i would like this bike to last a couple years
One is a trail bike and the other is an XC bike. Different wheel size, use, etc. You need to tell us a bit more about what kind of riding you are looking to do or currently do. Do you ride up to go down or go up to see how fast you can get to the top.

MountainGuru

Chimp
Feb 28, 2017
I ride technical trails outside of philly, i ride all types of trails. Up and down, so you guys recommend buying used?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If you want things that can handle abuse for around 1000, pinkbike classifieds is your friend. Start hunting and be patient. What size bike do you need?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow. I've never browsed Pinkbike buy-sell.

Some dude wants $350 for a Marzocchi Shiver SC! (Why does everyone think old, used 1 1/8" forks are all worth $300 and up?!)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We're twenty five posts in on a thread from a new member asking a bike question and it hasn't been derailed into some shim poop discussion...yet. I'm shocked. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's a reason it's rare...

I think I owned two of them.
yea, low production numbers.

how'd you like the two you owned? i had the dual crown shiver and loved it, despite the fact that it weighed a fucking ton. had you ridden the DC version? at one point i was looking at one for a winter derping bike so i could run a 3" tire.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yea, low production numbers.

how'd you like the two you owned? i had the dual crown shiver and loved it, despite the fact that it weighed a fucking ton. had you ridden the DC version? at one point i was looking at one for a winter derping bike so i could run a 3" tire.
I was not a fan of the deflection. If I could have had the internals from the Shiver in the housing of my Dorado* I would have loved it.
*I eventually got the full oil internals from an engineer friend at Manitou, so that made everything about it better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was not a fan of the deflection. If I could have had the internals from the Shiver in the housing of my Dorado* I would have loved it.
*I eventually got the full oil internals from an engineer friend at Manitou, so that made everything about it better.
the deflection was actually nice for all the east coast rox i was riding.

no :fie: still looking around
Have you made any headway regarding whether to go with a hardtail or a full suspension bike? I don't think it's a terribly important distinction at this point; you just need to get something that fits well and ride it for a couple of years, at which point you'll have a better idea of what you want. At the end of the day, it ain't the bike, it's the rider.