Quantcast

impreza or bmw

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BMW drivers have more sex than owners of any other cars and are much more active than Porsche drivers, a new German car magazine has found. The German magazine 'Men's Car' found in a survey of 2,253 motorists aged 20 to 50 published in its inaugural May issue that male BMW drivers say they have sex on average 2.2 times each week while Porsche drivers have sex 1.4 times per week. Helmut Panke, CEO of BMW AG is shown with the BMW 645Ci Cabriolet, March 17.

i always liked bmw's, they handle like crazy, even the older cheaper ones.

but i also appreciate the ability to accelerate out of a corner in a awd car like the Impresa. And it's cheaper to maintain. cheaper parts, cheaper stuff, etc.

i would go for the bmw, just out of the little devil in my head:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you live in a place that gets lots of snow, go for the Subaru.

I'd probably go for the Subaru anyway, just 'cause they last forever, and it's 4 years newer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by binary visions
If you live in a place that gets lots of snow, go for the Subaru.

I'd probably go for the Subaru anyway, just 'cause they last forever, and it's 4 years newer.
I agree about snow, but you're saying BMWs don't last forever?

In 1997 I bought a 1985 BMW 635csi and the fvcker hauled butt and cornered tight. It had ~120k miles on it at the time. I currently own a 1986, it's a motorcycle, but I have to imagine it's the same quality of engineering and it has 160k on it.

But yeah, BMWs do cost a fair amount to repair, but that shouldn't happen as often.

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by LordOpie
I agree about snow, but you're saying BMWs don't last forever?

In 1997 I bought a 1985 BMW 635csi and the fvcker hauled butt and cornered tight. It had ~120k miles on it at the time. I currently own a 1986, it's a motorcycle, but I have to imagine it's the same quality of engineering and it has 160k on it.

But yeah, BMWs do cost a fair amount to repair, but that shouldn't happen as often.
I do live in a snowy area(quebec,canada) so would the bmw be dangerous to drive also when you say more expensive to repair is it like 2-3 times more then a japanese car?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by rbx
I do live in a snowy area(quebec,canada) so would the bmw be dangerous to drive also when you say more expensive to repair is it like 2-3 times more then a japanese car?
I can't really answer those questions since I've never driven a bmw in the snow, nor owned a japanese car. But I suspect the costs over time are similar. I suspect that BMWs break down less.

Go check out Consumer Reports, et al., reports about cost of ownership and such.

I can say tho that studded or other type of snow tires make a big difference and all vehicles have four wheel brakes :D If you're that concerned about being able to get thru dangerous conditions and feel you need AWD/4WD, then you probably also need the clearance of an SUV/truck. Tho I don't know what the Imprezza's clearance is.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
BMW's are of low quality IMO. My parents 1998 328i has had nothing but problems. Mostly minor problems such as seat motors, ignition, window motors, and interior electrical problems. BMW's are mostly about image if you ask me. And if your buying a 1.8L 4cyl BMW its gotta be all about image, I've never driven the 1.8 but the 2.8 I6 is plenty slow. I dont even know much about Subaru's but I'd buy one over a 318. I think the 3 series handling is ok, but not great if you want a Racecar buy a Porsche. ;)

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I to am looking at a BMW. I was looking at a 95 or later 325 or 328. I have read the snow argument on many websites. I cant imagine a BMW being any worse than a 2wd truck in the snow. As long as you have snow tires you should be ok. This is a null point for me, I live in Georgia.

And as for how they last. I have seen many with over 200,000 miles on them and they work, drive and look very good.

I have always been in the school of you pay for quality.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've owned three bimmers over the years(1980 320i, 1985 325e, 1992 318is - mileage when sold: ~280k, ~185k, ~100k respectively). All of them had there qwerks but they all drove and handled exceptionally. I had the most problems out of the 318. I had to put a new head gasket in @ 40k. After that, I had to have all the door panels recovered - material simply fell off. After all of that was ironed out, it never gave any more problems. I bought all of the cars used, but the 318 had the least amount of miles (28k) when I got it. My favorite by far of the three was the 325e - damn near indestructable.

We just bought a new car late last year and unfortunately it wasn't another bimmer but rather a kompressor 4 banger. It's a nice car but I still do not think it stacks up to the drive of a bimmer. In the snow, all of those cars suck. The MB is absolutely useless in frozen precip. I don't drive it though, my wife does. When it snows, we know the drill - I take her to work. The impreza is nice but since my wife drives the car in the family I don't know whether I'd like her to be driving anything in the snow.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
for snow, Impreza AWD hands down, I've driven them in the snow (In comparison to my Honda Accord with FWD) and they ROCK! To my understanding, the BMWs have RWD which would make life in the snow a living hell. While I love Beamers and all things German, I think I'd pick an Impreza WRX over a 328.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ive driven both and i would have to say that the suburu had the best feel overall, and the bmw earned me a speeding ticket on highway 70

84 in a 55, those highway patrol men are sneeky.......

________
Theea

Last edited:

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
Originally posted by LordOpie
are you basing your entire opinion on one experience?
No, not really just my parents and others experiences with E36 and E46 m3's and the such. Seems like they have ALOT of electronic problems etc.... I'm into race bred cars and BMW's are definitely nice cars yet I think there are definitely better choices out there. Esp. when your talking about a 4cyl BMW. I mean when is the last time when BMW came out with a care solely for Race use? I reallly cannot remember. I'm definitely biased towards Porsche.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Go for the Impreza, my old-man drives a BMW M5 and my step-dad owns a tuned STI. The M5 is a better car, but it also cost twice as much.
The STI, even though it is an STI and further tuned is still an Impreza, it's a fantastic car. Having had a little drive around myself I can tell you that the grip, acceleration and general handling is AMAZING. Put your foot down and the turbo slaps you in the face right away and flings you. Sensational power on demand. Response is great.

Go Subaru.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
subaru any day... 3 series bmws are crap... unless you re talking an m3... the quality is low, it isn t until you get into 5 series that you get what you pay for... this isn t hearsay either... straight from the mouth of a local bmw dealer... and yes, i live in germany, so they know their cr@p...

it s really a no brainer, the subies is 4 years newer, it s cooler and it won t get you labelled as a dick... plus you live in the snow...

the choice is obvious...

Pezzo33

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Western Massachusetts
Here is one other thing to think about. Do you want to keep it stock and drive it as is, or do you plan on making changes to it to further enjoy it :)

BMW's are great, but not cheap. I have owned two, and everything is $$ for parts. I am now on my third different Impreza in four years, and love it.

Now with a TS you are at entry level. Not sure if the canadian 2000 TS came with the 2.2 or the 2.5 flat 4, but all have the same suspension points as most current impreza.s
so why is this important.??

You have WRX owners upgrading to STI parts or better, that will basically give away their WRX parts, which are a huge upgrade for you. engine and sped stuff will not help you, but sway bars, struts and springs, wheels, tires, brakes, etc.. are all things that can be had pretty cheap. check out the for sale boards on www.nasioc.com
for example. I gave my sti sway bars to a buddy, he put them in his wrx, and we gave those to a buddy with a 2.5 RS, and everyone was upgraded :)

The other thing is what you want out of the interior. I am guessing the BMW has leather, maybe heated seats in a winter package up there in Canada. I prefer cloth seats myself.

and yeah, AWD is fun :) the cars are just cheaper to own and maintain.
Last example. Subaru oil change, just do it. yourself, or somewhere cheap. All BMW's in recent memory that I can think of have to be reset. Basically, a light comes on telling you it is time for an oil change, an stays on till you plug a $500 tool in to turn it off. you either buy the tool and do ityourself, try to find a jiffy lube or independant mechanic with one, or pay up the nose for oil changes at the dealer.

go subie :)

Pezzo33

l
l
l
l
V

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Pezzo.............is that your STI? Am so jealous.....:drool:

I would definitely pick a Subaru over a BMW right now.
The BMW name has no mystical quality for me anymore, as I used to live in Germany and they were basically all over the place, like Fords here.

I did own one.

I wasn't impressed.

Now I am looking for a Subaru. I want a car that can ford a creek... and drive in snow.

That snow thing is no lie. I watched a neighbor of mine who was all proud of her 3 series try to get up a short hill in a light dusting. She couldn't do it.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Subaru, Ofcourse.:devil: If only i had the money for one.:drool: But then a few streets outside my block.. there is Subaru/MG/Kia dealer. So i am satisfied with that, if i coming along it. I always do when i go biking.:)