Quantcast

indoor trainer

S

Sniper

any suggestions for indoor trainers to attach to a mountain bike? not too cheap, not too expensive. thanks in advance.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
cycleops fluid, it's really really nice. I hear the cycleops mag is really good too. the winds are decent too but i dont really know anything about that one.

S

Sniper

Originally posted by The Toninator
cycleops fluid, it's really really nice. I hear the cycleops mag is really good too. the winds are decent too but i dont really know anything about that one.
how much and do you of a site i can check it out?

S

Sniper

nm, performance had it. way out of my price range though. i was looking @ the Minoura MR-50 Ergo Trainer with Remote for $129.99. any opinions?

S

Sniper

another question. when it says that it's compatible w/mt bike, does that mean i don't have to change the tire on my bike?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by astral

how much and do you of a site i can check it out?
$300 for the fluid, no specific site. www.cycleops.com

Originally posted by astral

another question. when it says that it's compatible w/mt bike, does that mean i don't have to change the tire on my bike?
no you should not have to change out the tires but with knobies it will be very loud. I use my road bike on it and its very quiet.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Don't know what your living situation is, but something to think about is the amount of noise some of these bad boys make! I live in an apartment and have a Cyclops fluid trainer and haven't heard any complaints and I ride at about 6:00am. Don't know what type a friend of ours has, but his neighbors have complained about the noise form his.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
Don't know what your living situation is, but something to think about is the amount of noise some of these bad boys make! I live in an apartment and have a Cyclops fluid trainer and haven't heard any complaints and I ride at about 6:00am. Don't know what type a friend of ours has, but his neighbors have complained about the noise form his.
are you upstairs or down?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo check out any rim trainer, those are best for mtb's b/c they don't chew apart your expensive knobbies. what i was using for a long time. i'm actually trying to get my grubby lil teenage hands on a set of rollers. those are actually wayyyyyyyyyyyy better then a trainer. helps your pedal stroke out BIGGGGGG time, if you've got a nasty stroke it will throw you off in a hurry. just helps you become a more efficent rider.

S

Sniper

Originally posted by indieboy
yo check out any rim trainer, those are best for mtb's b/c they don't chew apart your expensive knobbies. what i was using for a long time. i'm actually trying to get my grubby lil teenage hands on a set of rollers. those are actually wayyyyyyyyyyyy better then a trainer. helps your pedal stroke out BIGGGGGG time, if you've got a nasty stroke it will throw you off in a hurry. just helps you become a more efficent rider.
yeah, i was looking at the minoura hyper-rim trainer. w/the rollers though, you'd still have to switch to road tires though, wouldn't you? my biggest concern is not having to change my tires at all. so the rim one was looking really sweet to me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yeah the minoura is the one i'm using, it's nice for the most part. pretty easy to use, pretty adjustable, and actually i think for a trainer you can get way more resistance out of the rim trainer then the wind or fluid trainers. and yeah w/ the rollers you'd have to change tires but you would make pretty big leaps in how fast you become, well that is if you learn to become more efficent on it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by indieboy
yeah the minoura is the one i'm using, it's nice for the most part. pretty easy to use, pretty adjustable, and actually i think for a trainer you can get way more resistance out of the rim trainer then the wind or fluid trainers.
I don’t know if this is true statement for the fluids they actually "adjust" as your output incresses/descresse. Also when you don’t have proper pedal strokes you can actually feel more or less resistance from the trainer as you pedal.