Quantcast

Industry Nine DH/FR wheelset review

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
so i decided it was time for a review. ive been riding these wheels since june and they have definatly had alot of use on them.

http://industrynine.net/
First impressions: DAMN they looked soooooo good :monkeydance: :cupidarrow: i got them with gold spokes, gold hubs and the dt6.1 hoops with 120 points of engagment. i wanted to get them with mavic 729s but at the time they didnt have their account set up. they are however willing to send the spokes and hubs for you to build onto you own rim.

Customer service: best ive ever expirenced, and i thought e13 was good. i litterally had some of the emails i sent to them back in an hour. and they were extrememly helpful with all of my problems/Questions.

First ride: i was impressed and dissapointed at the same time. i couldnt believe how stiff they were. there is, and i mean it, NO flex in these wheels, they roll so fast because of this too. you really notice this on skinnies and slow speed bridges. i was dissapointed for the first while too. unfortunatly the seals they use have varrying times that it takes for them to break in. and i guess a got ones that were on the really long side of that.

Long term: so it took about a month before my cassette spun freely. i dont know if it was because of seals or if they just packed the hub full of grease but when i got them the rear hub was super quiet. almost to the point i couldnt hear the engagement. this only took about 3 weeks to stop though, and now im prety sure theyre the loudest hub ive heard. the engagment is a huge plus. your never waiting for power to the rear wheel and itll save you on the skinnies. the stenght of these wheels is unbelivable. ive cased som prety big things(not pround of it either) and ive only managed to knock the wheel out once. the rim however is soft, it was designed as a race wheel and not a fr wheel. simple as that, so dont be suprised if it ends up looking like a stop sign if you run low tire pressure.

Helpful advice: tension your wheels!!! i didnt realize how fast the spokes would initally stretch(since theyre aluminum) retention them after like 5 hours of riding them when you forst get them and then after that just what you would have done with normal wheels(once a month for me) the wheelset comes with 4 extra spokes(2driveside and 2 non drive) so it wasnt a big deal that i broke one because of lack of tension. i actually broke another one when i bent my deraillur hanger my rear wheel actually locked up and skidded before it broke so the spokes are not weaker then steel ones.

Weight:
weight is 990g for the front and 1150g for the rear. 2140g total

a deemax is 1120g for the front and 1480g for the rear. 2600g total

so theres a 460g differece for thoes who care.

Verdict: im am completely impressed with these wheels. i have 0(zero) complaints and have never had a huge problem with them. i have probobly 500 hours on them already this year and they still perform very well. even with the 1200$ pricetag they are worth every penny i paid. you can if you really have alot of money to spend get the spokes in two colores, like blue fading to silver.... for an extra 150$

i have michlin dh32s front and back now and i know the nevegal was backwards

and the colors they come in

hope you guys like it. ive never done anything like this before so dont be too hard on me :P

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i have the same wheelset except in red. my rear hub finally broke in after 3 weeks, just as yours did. i could pedal backwards and it wouldnt spin freely. i bent 2 spokes at plattekill after some shale rock bounced into the spokes but tightened them and they're straight. 120 point engagement...i sat in a motel room one night and counted it all just to be sure it was.

you suggest tightening the spokes? i noticed that in mine, they're fairly flexible (the spokes). think i'll do that right now

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i'm pretty sure 1200 is canadian, they're like $850USD. i saw something from interbike that they're making standard hubs that use normal spokes as opposed to the hub-threading I9 ones

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by snoopz666
120 points of engagment
yeh chris bling aint got **** on those hubs. ohh and one more thing the engagments, if im not mistaken, can be altered if you dont like the crazy huming noise, or you just dont need 120 points of engagment. :cheers:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've been curious and wanting to try them. i'm currently on hadley 108's so i dunno if the hub performance would be noticable. dunno if i can justify the cost just for that much bling.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
yeh chris bling aint got **** on those hubs. ohh and one more thing the engagments, if im not mistaken, can be altered if you dont like the crazy huming noise, or you just dont need 120 points of engagment. :cheers:
yeah i guess you can change it do like 60 point engagement (6 degree engagement as opposed to 3)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
no i was just saying that it was kinda built into the hub incase the consumer didnt want all the engament points. why you would want to do that is a mystery to me but hey it can be done.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
with less engagment there is less drag in the hub so it will spin more freely. and yes aparently(i havent taken mine apart yet so i dont know for sure) you can take the 6 pawls and instead of running them offset you can line them up so 3 are engaged at the same time or somthing like that. but common you cant not like that noise. i dont even have to yell at people to get outta the way they just hear me coming :P

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Looks nice...Wish I had the coin to try a pair out.

On the 6.1s, DT Swiss did a half-assed recall (kind of like Marzocchi and the warped 66 lowers) because they're made of cheese. You can send them in and they'll replace them with improved 6.1s or something...made of a different alloy that doesn't dent so easily?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
with less engagment there is less drag in the hub so it will spin more freely. and yes aparently(i havent taken mine apart yet so i dont know for sure) you can take the 6 pawls and instead of running them offset you can line them up so 3 are engaged at the same time or somthing like that. but common you cant not like that noise. i dont even have to yell at people to get outta the way they just hear me coming :P
i love the noise, mine started quiet then they got really clicky and are cool

DT swiss is replacing the old 6.1d's? im' gonna have to look into that, maybe do it after this weekend

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm blessed enough to have a set on my Demo 8 and they will scare you how stiff they are. Not once have I ever had a set of wheels that made me notice that. But when you hit something with the front wheel, you will feel it in your hands sometimes.

In regards to the 6 versus 3 degree engagement, that is correct. It's internal to the hub and you can switch from 6 to 3 for less drag, but a little less quick of an engagement.

I've ran them all summer long and when the guys popped the rear apart to show me what the teeth looked like and how they moded it from 6 to 3, I was amazed. The internals still looked brand spanking new off the shelf!!!

And yes, I9 is going to offer standard J bend flanged hubs for those wanting to do their own spoke/rim combo.

My wheels are straight polished aluminum and will BLIND you :D
Can't tell much here...but in person...

In terms of color choices, the sample colors don't do them justice. Visually they are stunning regardless of color. The chocolate brown color is fantastic, but nothing beats the Blue spokes....especially with the laser etched white words "Industry Nine" on each individual one.

I busted a spoke, walked in the shop and asked if they'd throw in a new one. They didn't have to take the cassette or the disc off. Hell, they didn't even TAKE THE TIRE off! Dude popped one side of the tire off the bead, slid the spoke in, tensioned and trued. I was out of the I9 building in 15 minutes!!