Quantcast

industry nine DH wheelset

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Are these wheels UST and are they strong enouph for losts of abuse and still stay in true? and is it hard to buy replacement parts for them. Do the hubs run smooth also. Where is the best place to buy the online and what is the MSRP price.

Sorry imasking these questions and not doing the research, but im actually short on time and need answers fast.

Thank you

-Adam

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
SXtrailrider said:
Are these wheels UST and are they strong enouph for losts of abuse and still stay in true? and is it hard to buy replacement parts for them. Do the hubs run smooth also. Where is the best place to buy the online and what is the MSRP price.

Sorry imasking these questions and not doing the research, but im actually short on time and need answers fast.

Thank you

-Adam
The wheels are custom built. So if its UST is depending on what rim you have them laced to. They have some pretty burly spokes and are built by a qualified wheelbuilder (I assume) so they should stay round and true for a while. MSRP is something like 799 with 729's (I think). They can be bought direct from industry 9.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
custom as in like any rim mixed with and hub and they just laced it, because i looked online at their site and the weight is really low on their DH FR wheels, lighter then demmax and they sounded like a good solid wheel.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
SXtrailrider said:
custom as in like any rim mixed with and hub and they just laced it, because i looked online at their site and the weight is really low on their DH FR wheels, lighter then demmax and they sounded like a good solid wheel.
As i said I think it is specced and weighed with a 729. They use their own hubs and spokes. They can also lace up different rims to their hubs.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I jsut ordered mine, and am getting them tomorrow. I am lacing mine to the new black 721's, with a maxxis strip and Hutchinson tubeless. Call john and talk to him, hes a bloody ninja. He iwll advise you on anything you need to know.

I seriously can't wait to see these damn things.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Jeff you will not be disapponinted with them they are beautifully crafted and super strong as long as you build them correct,but sayig that they are very easy to build and true.
Just give John or Fred a call and they will sort you out.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
SXTrailrider:
Yup - I9 supplies their own special straight pull spokes, and hubs - you get to pick what rim you want them laced to.

The only thing new about the 721's is that they now come in black as opposed to the grey from last year... I think.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're specced with DT rims, but you can pay extra to get any rim you want or pay extra to get other colors.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
They do come with DT rims which are fairly soft aluminum and dent easily. However becaus the wheel are so insanely strong and stiff, they don't flat spot. The can make custom spokes to work with the mavic 823's, or pretty much any other hub out there. I would highly recomend them. I know I'm planning on ordering them here pretty soon to go on my new Canfield Brothers Formula 1!!! I can't wait!

shopvet

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
ashevegas, nc
ok ya'll - disclaimer: I AM EMPLOYED BY INDUSTRY NINE.

Just to clear a few things up:

They are light, because our spokes weigh about half what a 14g spoke weighs, and our hubs weigh comparable to CK. Our full-on DH wheelset 12x150 with oversize spokes weighs 2180g. Our stock wheels are built with DT6.1's, which most folks have zero problems with - they are same profile as Mavic 721, and whether or not they are any softer than anything else is speculation, I think.

Bizutch - there is a difference between denting the rim (which is sometimes called flat-spotting) and flat-spotting the rim. In the latter, spokes come loose because the rim bends so far it doesn't return to its original shape. (This is the only type of flat-spotting Butch is familiar with.) I have a 24" Rhyno Lite on the rear of my Big Hit laced to our XC hub, with the standard size (smaller) spokes. I have been beating on it for over a year, and it is still round. This is my trail bike, so it has been underwater, rained on, dropped off 8'+ hits, and jumped. I have ocasionally dented the rim's edge and had to straighten it. Gerrit Beytagh made his Rhyno Lites look like STOP signs at Mt. Snow last year, but Tom was still able to true them up and he kept racing them with no loss of tension after that. In my opinion, Rhyno Lites are not very good DH rims, but they are light. George Ryan 270-cased a 30' double at Monster Park on a set of our wheels with MTX's and they didn't even come out of true. He tells us he is still riding those wheels and has yet to true them.

We can lace our system to any rim, but it does increase lead time. We hope to have spokes readily available for most popular DH rims (ie 721, 823, MTX) by early summer. Right now our backlog is significant for non-stock rims/colors. Stock colors are any combo of red/black/silver.

DH wheels will set you back $869.99 at full retail. We prefer to sell to your LBS, so they can stay in business, and if you have a good relationship with them, perhaps they would be willing to cut you a break. If you want to order them direct, we'll be happy to take the order, but it won't take any less time, and we must charge full MSRP.

In short - yes, they are strong. Yes they are durable. Yes, you can get replacement parts from us in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. We are dedicated to customer service and we are all bike guys, who put our products thru the real-world wringer. I have dirt jumps here at the factory which I am getting ready to go hit right NOW...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
shopvet said:
.... (This is the only type of flat-spotting Butch is familiar with...
Damn I miss having you as my wheel tech!! Fred was the only person who could make a rim last me more than a month for me....and yeah, the flat spots I was thinking of are the "Stop Sign" whacks where the flanges of the rim crush from fat asses nailing rocks under low tire pressure :love:
shopvet said:
.... I have dirt jumps here at the factory which I am getting ready to go hit right NOW...
arrrgh...my Demo 8 is in the back of the truck. Why didn't I bring a change of clothes...?:mumble: :mumble:

shopvet said:
ok ya'll - disclaimer: I AM EMPLOYED BY INDUSTRY NINE.

Just to clear a few things up:

They are light, because our spokes weigh about half what a 14g spoke weighs, and our hubs weigh comparable to CK. Our full-on DH wheelset 12x150 with oversize spokes weighs 2180g. Our stock wheels are built with DT6.1's, which most folks have zero problems with - they are same profile as Mavic 721, and whether or not they are any softer than anything else is speculation, I think.

Bizutch - there is a difference between denting the rim (which is sometimes called flat-spotting) and flat-spotting the rim. In the latter, spokes come loose because the rim bends so far it doesn't return to its original shape. (This is the only type of flat-spotting Butch is familiar with.) I have a 24" Rhyno Lite on the rear of my Big Hit laced to our XC hub, with the standard size (smaller) spokes. I have been beating on it for over a year, and it is still round. This is my trail bike, so it has been underwater, rained on, dropped off 8'+ hits, and jumped. I have ocasionally dented the rim's edge and had to straighten it. Gerrit Beytagh made his Rhyno Lites look like STOP signs at Mt. Snow last year, but Tom was still able to true them up and he kept racing them with no loss of tension after that. In my opinion, Rhyno Lites are not very good DH rims, but they are light. Geroge Ryan 270-cased a 30' double at Monster Park on a set of our wheels with MTX's and they didn't even come out of true. He tells us he is still riding those wheels and has yet to true them.

We can lace our system to any rim, but it does increase lead time. We hope to have spokes readily available for most popular DH rims (ie 721, 823, MTX) by early summer. Right now our backlog is significant for non-stock rims/colors. Stock colors are any combo of red/black/silver.

DH wheels will set you back $869.99 at full retail. We prefer to sell to your LBS, so they can stay in business, and if you have a good relationship with them, perhaps they would be willing to cut you a break. If you want to order them direct, we'll be happy to take the order, but it won't take any less time, and we must charge full MSRP.

In short - yes, they are strong. Yes they are durable. Yes, you can get replacement parts from us in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. We are dedicated to customer service and we are all bike guys, who put our products thru the real-world wringer. I have dirt jumps here at the factory which I am getting ready to go hit right NOW...
so is it possable to now get them laced to Mavic rims from the factrory for an upcharge, or is it still just sun and DT swiss?

shopvet

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
ashevegas, nc
We have had several customers send us Mavic rims to build. So far we've done 719's and 823's.

The wheels end up costing maybe $50 less at retail, because we have to machine the custom spokes and have them anodized, which adds back to the cost less our rims. Am I making sense?

Feel free to shoot an email to our sales guy: jeff@industrynine dot net

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
i'm still a tiny bit skeptical (which is comforting for something i cant really afford ;) ) but man these look sharp. But it seems like they arent user truable?

and they just look too nice to be abused....

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I too am employed by Industry Nine. The wheels are plenty truable by the user assuming the user has a black spoke wrench and a moderate knowledge of wheel truing. Our spokes are machined one piece but at the top of the spoke we mill standard .126 tool flats on the spoke. No nipple weight, nothing to round out since it is not hollow. And no, they don't wind up badly. To put it perspective, a triple butted spoke winds up badly (14/17ga), a double butted spoke winds up less (14/15ga) a straight guage spoke does not wind up much at all (14ga) our spokes are 11ga. They have the tensile strength of 14ga straight and the weight of triple butted. Hope this answers your question Zedro.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
but to get spokes custom made for the rims you want to run, it was about $340 when i called.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
There are three guys at our shop running these. One set on a nomad, one on a 6 pack, and another on a prophet(got rid of the lefty). They all love them.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
DHS said:
but to get spokes custom made for the rims you want to run, it was about $340 when i called.
I'm not sure where that quote came from. Or what it is for exactly. There is typically a nominal upcharge for custom spoke lengths. That sounds like the cost of an entire front wheel, not just spokes. Let me know if I can clear anything up for you.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
zedro said:
cool, yeah i was thinking they wouldnt be tooled at the ends due to wind up, guess i was off...
Yeah Zedro,
I thought that was the coolest feature when I saw them in person.
That you could use a regular spoke wrench at the end just like normal. These wheels are super nice.
Maybe, I would have been more skeptical if I did not know some of these guys. Fred has been a wheel guru around here since I started riding.
I can't swing a set right now because of cost reasons, but one day....:)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So i went to see my wheels today, and while i was there, got some weights.

I wasn't able to weight the spokes, but the 20mm front hub came in at 200g on the dot, and the rear 12mm was 355g.

I picked out Mavic 721 rims in black (anyone know if these are hard anno'd?) and the build will happen tonight. I should have them tomorrow. They will be my DH wheels, but will go on the trailbike for now, until the DH is painted.

oz

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
I've been looking into a set of enduro wheels for my 4x/trail bike and these things look amazing. Currently I'm running CK's laced to singletracks but may be switching out soon. What kind of warranty do you guys offer on your products? Willl you guys be at sea otter also?

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
We offer a one year warranty on manufacturing defects. That being said, if there is a problem with a hub/spoke and it's our fault, we will rectify the situation........period. We send 4 spokes with every wheelset (2 drive/2 non-drive/front) and extra spokes can be acquired by a quick call or e-mail to us. We will be at Sea Otter so come and touch, feel and ask questions. Keep in mind these wheels have been through 2 1/2 years of prototyping and testing. We just officially went public at Interbike '05.
These are no trailer queens.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
los jefes said:
We offer a one year warranty on manufacturing defects. That being said, if there is a problem with a hub/spoke and it's our fault, we will rectify the situation........period. We send 4 spokes with every wheelset (2 drive/2 non-drive/front) and extra spokes can be acquired by a quick call or e-mail to us. We will be at Sea Otter so come and touch, feel and ask questions. Keep in mind these wheels have been through 2 1/2 years of prototyping and testing. We just officially went public at Interbike '05.
These are no trailer queens.
ooo touch and feel haha i need a set with green spokes to match my green sunday. :cool:

shopvet

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
ashevegas, nc
oz said:
I've been looking into a set of enduro wheels for my 4x/trail bike and these things look amazing. Currently I'm running CK's laced to singletracks but may be switching out soon. What kind of warranty do you guys offer on your products? Willl you guys be at sea otter also?
We offer a pretty typical one-year warranty against defects in materials and craftsmanship. Spokes are warranted against defects as well, but not breakage due to foreign object intrusion. We ship two spare spokes of each length with each set of wheels, which should cover any accidental breakage for a while.

We will have a booth at Sea Otter - John and Jeff will be making the trip. Fred has to stay home and make parts...bastages!