Quantcast

Info: No DH at Withrop MTB Festival in Oct

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Yep I emailed MVSTA and they confirmed that there is no DH at the event this year.

:( it was always a laid back dusty old time. I for one will miss it as a capper to the season.

Here is the little blurp I received:
Kevin,

We decided to drop the downhill portion of the bike festival, however, we added a cyclocross and road rides.

Jan
Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Fockers. I was actually thinking i'd try to go. Lets go cyclocross and just get in the way.......
Hahaha

You and I side by side....I bet they don't try and mess with us! :evil:

LOL

Us that the hell is this board thing...*crunch* OK no more board....look at these dam logs just looking to trip a racer...*tosses off trail*

:D

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
Feel free to heap blame upon me! :eek: They invited me to a planning meeting a while back and were discussing ways to rejuvenate the festival etc. I suggested dropping the DH because they had only been drawing 50 to 75 riders and put that time and effort somewhere else. The road stuff and cyclocross was their idea, but I think it's a good one as far as the health of the festival is concerned.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I know we could get dressed up in all our body armor and ride backwards on one of the courses(as long as it was down hill) and shoulder check some xc guys.

or we could hide behind some trees and jump out and tackle them w/ our armor on, full contact cyclocross( new obstacles).

just because we have nothing better to do since we can't race....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
evilbob said:
............or we could show up and race the cross country DH class :think:
I am sorry, all I heard was "we could show up and LALALA the LALALALALALA DH class"

:D

I might as well push my truck over Stevens pass! :D lol Those XC DH are hard core..... I definately have a soft core side to me.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
speedbump said:
Feel free to heap blame upon me! :eek: They invited me to a planning meeting a while back and were discussing ways to rejuvenate the festival etc. I suggested dropping the DH because they had only been drawing 50 to 75 riders and put that time and effort somewhere else. The road stuff and cyclocross was their idea, but I think it's a good one as far as the health of the festival is concerned.
Damn Speedbump. I understand....I just wanted to confirm and let everyone know. It is jsut another reason to come visit you guys. :D

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
I for one am very much disappointed by the lack of a dh and I know that many of my friends were planing on going. I find it odd that even though dh and freeride is the fastest growing section of our sport race promoters are making it the bastard child of cycling. Damn I was even planning on using my BITCHIN' WIM finalist bennie to keep warm at night... This is so gay my butt is sore.

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
For the Festival it makes sense to drop the DH. In 2001 they had 104 DHers. In 2002 it was down to 75. Last year, it "rebounded" to 76 (with only 10 experts). That ain't growth!

I realize that this race is probably the exception, I'm just illustrating the reason they made the decision. :(

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
speedbump said:
For the Festival it makes sense to drop the DH. In 2001 they had 104 DHers. In 2002 it was down to 75. Last year, it "rebounded" to 76 (with only 10 experts). That ain't growth!

I realize that this race is probably the exception, I'm just illustrating the reason they made the decision. :(
Dammit Dave! j/k

I am planning on getting a CX bike here soon...dont know if I will have the skills or fitness to do any good.