Quantcast

innovative helmet cam setups?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
anybody got any cool setup pictures or footage? i've been trying to set up some different camera angles to do some video stuff and i want to see what's been one already.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw one that was infront of the rider facing back. it was cool seing the head stay totally still and everything moving around. I dont remember where the link went.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dave, Joe and I were working on some stuff with backwards mounted helmet cam following the rider behind. We mounted to the side of the helmet, which was a mistake, you capture way too much backpack! Mount on top of the helmet ;)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
A buddy of mine got some really cool shots by doing the 1st run with the camera looking forwards (following the riders) and then the next run with it looking backwards (riders folowing).

There were some great edits where he would drop off something and as he landed (and the camera shook a little) he switched to the back looking shot of the rider behind him taking off and landing.

It was pretty cool.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Super 8 has Sam Hill, Bryn Atkinson and Nathan Rennie riding with a suspended camera in front of them. They're wearing harnesses/backpacks with what appears to be an 8 foot long pole sticking up/forward. The camera is mounted facing the rider, so in the shot the rider is pretty much still, you can see directly into their eyes the whole time, and the scenery around the rider is flying by super fast. Sam eats it super hard at Ft. Bill with it on, gets up, and continues pinning it. Super cool footage. There are some pics of them with the set up around here somewhere.

We've had great luck with cheapo DV-Cams duct taped onto moto helmets.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Awesome, thanks guys... The cantilevered camera mounts are super cool. There are about a million configurations you could do with that.

dezul43

Monkey
May 15, 2006
san diego
yeah, we tried some stuff up in sb and mounting the camera directly on top of the helmet would be the best . with the back rider staying right on the camermans tail, you get a cool shot. otherwise you loose the rider when you go around quick corners and turns.

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
regarding the request for the video where the helmet serves as the static center; I don't think anyone posted an actual sample of it...

so here's a 3 minute clip of brynn's '06 pila, italy run:

song fits well too imo.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I love my Viosport AdCam3 with a 60GB HD camera and from the looks of it, Viosport is coming out with a new setup in a few months bringing the camera together with a digital recorder all in one package. The diagram in BIKE mag made it look like a helmet cam attached to a 2GB iPod-sized device. Could be cool if they can keep the price down and quality up. vio-pov.com but there's no info yet.