Quantcast

Installing spring on a Romic rear shock.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Any tips for compressing the spring to get it on a Romic shock? My friend tried all day to install a 550lb spring for one and needs about 1/4 inch to get the lockring on.

Mike

edit: er...make that a 550 not 700.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by BlackDiamond
His spring is too long. It could damage the shock, and I would recommend getting the right spring for his stroke.
No, I double checked, the stroke length is the same. Both 3.0". The springs are the same length when stood side by side. He was able to compress the lighter spring enough to get it off but is unable to compress the 550 spring to get it on.

Mike

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Takes 2 people, get 2 long screwdrivers, put them horizontal on the spring (spring is vertical), grab both sides and put your weight on it compressing a portion of the spring. Then have your buddy remove the spring retainer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Maybe I'm totally missing something but my Romic shock is a 9", 2.75" stroke. Right now I have a 3.0 spring and I have about a half inch of threads left.

Here's a pic of a 9.5 shock with 3" stroke...I'm assuming exactly what you have.

Attachments

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Maybe I'm totally missing something but my Romic shock is a 9", 2.75" stroke. Right now I have a 3.0 spring and I have about a half inch of threads left.

Here's a pic of a 9.5 shock with 3" stroke...I'm assuming exactly what you have.
No I don't think you are missing anything. I'm thinking he got too long of a spring for his shock. Maybe ordered the same stroke as his previous spring and that is what the problem is?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA

I haven't seen this up close and in person. My friend called me with this problem. He says the preload ring is screwed all the way down as far as it will go. I was trying to gather some info for him. But from your pics it looks like he might be overlooking something.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
My friend was successful. Using a Park headset press he was able to compress the spring enough then held the coils in place with many zip ties. He installed the spring and slowly released tension by cutting the zip ties one by one.

Thanks Jason W.

Mike

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Dartman
My friend was successful. Using a Park headset press he was able to compress the spring enough then held the coils in place with many zip ties. He installed the spring and slowly released tension by cutting the zip ties one by one.

Thanks Jason W.

Mike
So what's the stroke of his shock then? It can't be 3". Since he had to compress the spring to get it on, he's got extra tension on it therefore less adjustment if he wants to increase or decrease suspension sag.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So what's the stroke of his shock then? It can't be 3". Since he had to compress the spring to get it on, he's got extra tension on it therefore less adjustment if he wants to increase or decrease suspension sag.
probably 2.5

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Not necessarily. It's just that most spring retaining rings need to be raised up the shaft 1/4" or more to get them off in order to get the spring off. My spring has plenty of room on the shock body, but I very nearly need help compressing it to get that lower spring collar off/on, even with the preload adjuster backed all the way up the body.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I expressed your concerns and he is going to call Romic this week to verify everything is ok. The shock is one that came stock on a Ellsworth Dare with a 3.0 inch spring.

Mike