Quantcast

Integrated stem questions.....

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
I got a killer deal on an 04 Super T and when it showed up, the integrated stem was included. I didn't know that. Bonus!

Never ridden with one before, but last night I played around with switching back and forth with my 75mm Azonic Shorty to compare the two.

The obvious benefits:
-Shorter stack height
-More precise steering (OK maybe)
-More solid feel

The integrated stem definitely felt more solid and obviously less chopperado than the Shorty. They are roughly the same length as the integrated can be adjusted, so thats not an issue.

But, before I lop off my steerer tube, is there anything I am overlooking about this?

Anybody got feedback about their preferences?

Thanks mucho.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i love using the integrated stem on my 03 junior-t it has performed flawlessly in all situations and seems very responsive. i like it.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
the only downside I could see is if you bend your lowers, you cant adjust you stem straight for the time being.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I was in the same boat last year w/ an 03 SuperT. Hands down I prefer the integrated stem. It's nice to pick up the bike after a crash and the bars are still straight.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Just be sure that your not getting a new frame for a while. Chances are the steerer wont fit perfectly. I have an integrated stem on my Shiver and instead of cutting it I threw in a whompin spacer. Also it might be an issue when you sell it?

-J

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I cracked a leg and crown on my dorados using the intergrated stem. In a crash the handlebars do not twist so the load has to be transfered somewhere.

Also, with the supers the lowers are cryogenically put together, if you do happen to twist the lowers and the crowns in a crash you will not be able to get it straight ever again.

I will never using an intergrated stem again, not worth the risk of screwing your forks. My 2 cents.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Cave Dweller said:
I cracked a leg and crown on my dorados using the intergrated stem. In a crash the handlebars do not twist so the load has to be transfered somewhere.

Also, with the supers the lowers are cryogenically put together, if you do happen to twist the lowers and the crowns in a crash you will not be able to get it straight ever again.

I will never using an intergrated stem again, not worth the risk of screwing your forks. My 2 cents.
Yep, that's correct.
When I bought my 04 Super-T this week-end, the shop guy told me that it's better NOT to use the integrated stem when you crash a lot. He had seen a lot of integrated stem forks with twisted lowers and no guarantee with this kind of failure.

The solid feel and snappy response is very good with an integrated stem, but I prefer a straight fork and a twisted stem than visa versa.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
the integrated stems are deffinatly a big help with flex. they are much stiffer and do provide better response from your front end. but like cave dweller said twisted lowers arent a good thing so what you can do is to get a burlier than the shorty stem like the race face diablous, or the azonic equillizer. both are very stiff and strong and will take a long time to snap in a crash. im running a diablous on my super t and im loving it. i have had no probs with it and its very stiff.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
or you could just not ever crash and you would have all the benifits of the integrated stem.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
hucker13 said:
or you could just not ever crash and you would have all the benifits of the integrated stem.
This is what I do. It actually works best if you don't ride the bike and just admire the rugged looking integrated stem.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Have any of you guys who stopped using integrated stems have some from your marzocchi fork ?

I kinda need one as the steertube is just too darn short to use a standard stem.

Fork is a Shiver, but I believe all marzocchi forks have the same hole pattern except for the 888 or something.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
All marzocchi forks use the same standard mounting, except the 888.

My friend was running an intedrated stem on his '03 Super (cryofit lowers) and he cased a 25' double, he ended up ok, but twisted the fork bad. We were able to twist it back to damn near straight, he has had no further problems. But if you're going to be wrecking alot on DH trails, I'd say go with the regular stem. Leave about 1 in of steerer above the upper crown with spacers on it if you use the integrated stem.

DIABLO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
U.K
Cave Dweller said:

Has'nt the 04' got a bolt securing the lower crown's?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
DIABLO said:
Has'nt the 04' got a bolt securing the lower crown's?
Yes the '04 Marzocchi DCs have pinch bolts holding the stantions tight.
I vote for the direct mount stems. I don't want a crooked stem on my bike.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Um... don't all marzocchi DCs have pinch bolts ? Not just the newer ones ?
Cuz, I seem to remember monster Ts and my 01 shiver all having pinch bolts. I don'T know about junior / super t though....

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Only 2003 Super T and Junior T forks had the cryofit stanchion/lower crown interface.

Leave some extra room on your steerer. This way if you want a different stem in the future you can do it, and if you decide to sell the fork to somebody who wants a stem or has a large headtube the option will be there.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I like integrated stems. I ran one last year and never had a problem with my bars being crooked. This year I ran a race face stem and after crashing the bars would be twisted. Sometimes after you twist them back they move on you. Next year I'm switching back to an integrated stem.

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
so wate...if you have a fork with pinch bolts for the upper and lowers then there is nothing to worry about...well...less to worry about in the part of them twisting and not having the ability to fix it.

yes?