Quantcast

Intelligence of the Average Apple User

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From the Apple Knowledge Base - in case you didn't know :D

BTW, my friend sent me this, not my joke ;)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86816
How to pick up and carry your iMac G5

Don't know how to pick up and carry your iMac G5? It's easy.

Before moving your computer, make sure all cables and cords are disconnected.

Pick up the iMac G5 by grasping both sides of the computer. Carry it to wherever you wish.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, and about your "fun" title:

http://www.metafactsusa.com/pages/info/tup_dates/tupan03_0404_brand_socio.htm

Apple users are among the educational-elite with 44% above-average education levels (16 years or more education, equivalent to college graduate and post-graduate). Sony and Dell users are also in this upper echelon group with 34% and 20% above-average education ratings respectively. Gateway and IBM users round out this category with 6% and 5% above-average scores. On the opposite side of the educational spectrum were users of eMachines branded computers, with a 39% above-average index in the 12 years or less education segment. (See table below).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
Apple has had lived on EDU purchases most of its life, so that makes sense. It doesn't mean they know anything about computers either :thumb:

It also fails to note that the marketshare of Apple is in the single digits - this means that there are FAR less people period that use Apple in any income or edu level. Most people would fail to note that without thinking about the stats represented...

It also notes that lower income brackets (which tend to have less edu) purchase cheaper computers (no duh!) And what do you know, Macs are more expensive than PCs:

The research does indicate that with above-average income and education levels, users of certain brands of computers present a very attractive target for marketers. It’s important to note however that lower price points result in a broadening of the audience that is likely to buy and therefore make an attractive target as well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It doesn't matter how much money you have, or what level of education you have. End users become instant morons once they get in front of that monitor. Of course I am jaded as I do desktop support for Kaiser Permanente. I support doctors. Lemme tell you something, docs can be dumb too! (No offence Toshi! :) )

"Uhhh... Doctor, is the computer turned on?"
"yes, of course it is!"
"Humor me doc, push the little button, please."
"hey, look at that! It's working! What did you do?"
"I reconfigured your fingers, Doc."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i actually did almost exactly that for one of the clinics in the group for which my father used to work. somehow they heard that i did CS and word trickled down "hey toshi, can you come take a look at a mac in [town 30 miles away]? it won't start up since a power outage last weekend"

so i drive out there, shuttling a few hitchhikers just for kicks, and lo and behold the computer appears to be off. the assistant hits the reset button on the front of the computer a few times and says "see? it doesn't turn on." (this was a power mac 7500 or 7600 for those of you who are familiar with oldish apples.) i proceeded to slide out the keyboard and hit the power key, and it fired right up...

luckily now in med school they're making very sure that all of us are computer literate, in addition to being extremely culturally/whatever-ally sensitive etc. etc. and so far in my visual survey during orientation i've spotted 3 iBooks, 1 15" powerbook g4 and 1 dell (hiss)

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Ciaran said:
It doesn't matter how much money you have, or what level of education you have. End users become instant morons once they get in front of that monitor. Of course I am jaded as I do desktop support for Kaiser Permanente. I support doctors. Lemme tell you something, docs can be dumb too! (No offence Toshi! :) )

"Uhhh... Doctor, is the computer turned on?"
"yes, of course it is!"
"Humor me doc, push the little button, please."
"hey, look at that! It's working! What did you do?"
"I reconfigured your fingers, Doc."
I used to maintain a network for a bunch of Radiologists - for a bunch of super smart people they never failed to amaze me when it came to computers.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I like; "Carry it to wherever you wish."
Boy you can interperate that however you want...

Seems way back, electronic equipment was "harder to use"
You had to read the manual, all those knobs and dials, most people didn’t know how to even turn the thing on, after while the designers incorporated the "easy to use" operations, and people got dumber.

Like most Americans, we want it now and not to have to work for it.
If it doesn’t work (even for reasons of our own stupidity or impatient) we return it or throw it away.

The point I’m trying to make it;
The more you make something idiot proof - the more idiots tend to use it.