Quantcast

Intense 909 and Edge Fro light

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I am thinking about picking up some Intense 909 and Edge Fro lights. What are peoples experiences with these tires. I am riding fairly hard pack rocky terrain.

I have had good luck with Maxxis (highrollers and minnion), Moderate luck with Michelin comp 16 and 24 (nice compound , but both tend to flat) and no luck with Kenda (no grip from the compound and too many flats).

How will the Intense compare in terms of flats and compound.

Also How is sizing on these tires. Is a 2.35 intense comparable to a 2.5 maxxis?

Thanks

I ran that exact combo at the recent Reading ride day. My rear flatted on my last run, and I was running 40psi. But then again, I'm kinda a hack, so I guess YMMV.

I ran the same tire model but in 2 ply @ 38psi at Massunutten, no flats.

I like the SR compound and pattern for the 909. I'm not a fan of the Edge tire. When new, it grips and lets go fairly predictably. IMO, when it gets to just 40-50% wear, it becomes unpredictable, loosing traction when pushing it into corners. The square 90degree leading edges of the blocks wears and disintegrates prematurely. (when compared to the Maxxis Minion and Highroller tires I've ridden in the past)

Once my current Intense tires have worn out, I don't think I'll be getting them again.

Last edited: