Quantcast

Intense 951 Is Live On Their Site

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Didn't read this whole thread, but it actually makes good sense. The Socom is sweet but it's both too light and steep to have broad application among amateur and recreational racers, and the M6 is designed for world cup courses and speeds. This bike actually seems like it fits the needs of 90% of DHers much better than either of the other two.

edit: it's also beautiful. I've said it before, but no one tortures aluminum like Intense.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I needed a new bike as my SOCOM is looser than a 3$ thai hooker, it seems I made my purchase at the worst possible time. New legit bikes coming out left right and center, 951, Evil, Turner, now the new Transition. :disgust1:

Now I don't know what to do, I'm a few hundred bones away from paying this thing off but now I'm sort of having a bout of buyers remorse. Well I guess there is only one thing to do, suck it up Princess. I'm sure I will soon have bigger things to worry about than what dh bike I am on.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
To those bitching: Shut up. Seriously. Shut. Up.

Like anybody here really has the right to tell a company like Intense how to produce/ market/ design bikes. Like, really.

To Intense: Put 400 different DH bikes in your lineup. As long as you keep posting photos of them for me to dream over, I don't care if you start actually producing models that vary by half a degree and a quarter inch of travel. Just make more. One day, I will sell my soul and own one.

MOAR.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
That thing looks so dialled. Totally agree with whoever it was that said it looked like an F1 car. That black frame with the black 40s makes we want one so bad.

Seriously, all you "But why?" folks...because they can. You would if you could but you can't so they do.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
That thing looks so dialled. Totally agree with whoever it was that said it looked like an F1 car. That black frame with the black 40s makes we want one so bad.

Seriously, all you "But why?" folks...because they can. You would if you could but you can't so they do.
The red reminds me a bit of the Ferrari 641. Gorgeous bike.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
A 951 and a Tracer is now my dream combo.......sigh

But seriously, I have read nothing about how VPP2 compares with VPP(1?).

I had a SC VPFree back in the day and didn't like the monkey motion transmitted back through to the pedals.

Does anyone have any experience on VPP2 and VPP and can provide some insight? Thanks

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I think if you go back to the launch of the MkII Nomad there was some info on the VPP2, something about revised axle paths and such like. I think that it means that the rear axle path isn't so rearward at the start so when pedalling in smaller chainrings there's not such a pronounced 'pull' on the rear suspension to sag into the point where the axle to bb length is shortest... I hope that makes sense. :think:

I guess for the 951 it means that the axle path is tuned to be like that, but suited to DH sized chainrings, think 34-38t.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
I just got back from looking at the 951 in person at Sea Otter. All I can say is awsome! It is so sick in person, for sure one to put on the list.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Fast has a new area code...

Based on what i know so far about the 951 (I've actually known about before now, but took a vow of slience), my personal mental war of what bike to get is now over.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Can someone explain VPP1 vs VPP2? The pivots look like they are in the same locations. What is different?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Probably the sexiest build I've seen in a couple of months. I only my main bike preocupation wasn't crashing it'd think about it :/

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
That is a lovely looking bike and a nice build used to show it off.

Being a long time intense lover (having an m1 and now a socom) i believe this is one of the most pleasing to the eye, the socom looks almost awkward and out of date in comparison - Interesting to hear a ride report and how the new VP works out.

In my opinion, this is an expression of the freedom intense have by performing the majority of manufacturing in house - Jeff can evolve and grow the lines of bikes with comparative ease when compared to companies having to order thousands of frames from taiwan etc - hats off to them if this is the kind of bikes it allows them to produce - there is obviously still a passion for the industry in that company, not just the desire to make money.

Best riding bikes in the world? i dont know, best looking bikes in the world - for sure, the black one is as stunning as a bike could be imo.

Rick

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I don't think anyones discussed the price difference between the 2 bikes. I 'believe' part of the reason for the 951 was to bring the price point down...
I heard the same thing, supposedly cheaper than the Socom

what would make the 951 cheaper to produce?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
maybe the fact that its so nice looking that everyone in the world will buy one and with those sort of economies of scale its bound to come down in price.
Intense bikes are never cheap and there not meant to be. Its like Ferrari making a budget model, just wrong.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Being a long time intense lover (having an m1 and now a socom) i believe this is one of the most pleasing to the eye, the socom looks almost awkward and out of date in comparison - Interesting to hear a ride report and how the new VP works out.
I went to their website to look at the two, and that was my exact same thought. I'm sure when the M9 comes out in a few years we'll say the same about the M6 (I guess I think the M6 already looks outdated compared to the EVO).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Can someone explain VPP1 vs VPP2? The pivots look like they are in the same locations. What is different?
My simplified understanding is that they smoothed the axle path significantly for reduced chain growth/delta (i.e. less squat above sag and less anti-squat below sag). Should result in a much less active pedal platform. IMO, that is a very very good thing.

Or I may be confusing it with the evolution of the Santa Cruz VPP.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If you put the two bikes together it is pretty easy to see the differences. I saw a Blur LT next to a Blur LT2. I think the top link was longer on the 2 and the bottom link looked like it stuck down more. It's pretty subtle, but you can see it when you have them both in front of you. I wonder how much different an Outland is.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
My simplified understanding is that they smoothed the axle path significantly for reduced chain growth/delta (i.e. less squat above sag and less anti-squat below sag). Should result in a much less active pedal platform. IMO, that is a very very good thing.

Or I may be confusing it with the evolution of the Santa Cruz VPP.
gen 2 VPP is being jointly promoted by Intense and Santa Cruz. lots ads in teh magazines showing both brands in one ad.