Quantcast

Intense m3

Swan

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Nor Cal
Anyone like intense m3's or have ridden them? Im about to buy a 2005 and im excited. Good rac bike for 3 grand with dee max's and saint?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
motomike said:
Oh yeah it's a very good race bike. I raced one last year and it just ate everything on the trail. Have fun with it!
just curious as to what you think about it compared to your current ride, especially considering the typical types of trails we have here in the south east (not including windrock). ie..Too much bike? Pedaling? more point and plow?

thanks, i'm trying to justify a full on dh rig.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
haromtnbiker said:
You wont get an answer from motomike for roughly 8 days. He is at whistler. Lucky SOB
well i'll bump this for when he get's back,

unless anyone else wants to chime in.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've lived inplaces that don't have elevation and now I live at the base of Windrock. Here is my advice.

Don't get a full blown DH bike unless you plan to drive (alot), race, or live within an hour or so of good shuttle/lift assitsed DH trails. You will be just fooling yourself.

With the selection of good, burly trail bikes in the 5 and 6 inch travel range and adjustable travel forks (4-6") you can have your cake and eat it too. They aren't too overkill on flatter trails, yet you can still go to Windrock, Snowshoe, etc and survive.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
yeah, i've been racing my burly 5" bike and it would still be my do-all-f-around swiss army bike.

I'd like to think I'd get into racing more if I had a proper DH bike and could do more than just survive the course.

I know what you're saying though and that's pretty much what's got me wondering. Go for a full on DH bike like the M3 / Demo8 or something like a big travel FR bike like the VPX that maybe better in the tight switchback , pedally sections on our smaller hills.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
that is one Gorgeous M3 with the photoshoped color. perfect parts groupo too

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
DVNT said:
yeah, i've been racing my burly 5" bike and it would still be my do-all-f-around swiss army bike.

I'd like to think I'd get into racing more if I had a proper DH bike and could do more than just survive the course.
Racing, what racing? The only local races are in WV, VA, and further north.

Unless you are beyond the speed that your bike can give you, I wouldn't get a full blown DH bike. We don't have the race sence like afew years back.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
profro said:
Racing, what racing? The only local races are in WV, VA, and further north.
we're working on that :sneaky:
just a little more red tape to sort out first.

profro said:
Unless you are beyond the speed that your bike can give you, I wouldn't get a full blown DH bike. We don't have the race sence like afew years back.
yeah, i'd say this is true for wide open courses. i dragged my bike up to whistler for a week and noticed a huge difference between that and when i rented a demo8. The other thing too is the added confidence in picking lines and pushing myself.

That said, i think you're right and may look into 7-8" travel FR bike over a full on DH racer but i'm still curious about what peeps think about the M3 on the local hills.

DVNT said:
we're working on that :sneaky:
just a little more red tape to sort out first.

yeah, i'd say this is true for wide open courses. i dragged my bike up to whistler for a week and noticed a huge difference between that and when i rented a demo8. The other thing too is the added confidence in picking lines and pushing myself.

That said, i think you're right and may look into 7-8" travel FR bike over a full on DH racer but i'm still curious about what peeps think about the M3 on the local hills.
I guess you just have to honest with yourself about how much your going to travel to ride and race. I mean we will have a Norba at Sugar for a few more years, there is always massanutten every year(your better off on a 6 inch travel bike there), and I think we'll be able to count on a 4 race snowshoe series going forward. How often do you go to windrock/snowshoe/sugar/hike a bikes in Pisgah, and will you go to Mt. Snow or Diablo or Plattekill to race?

I would agree with profro that you probably don't need a full on DH rig here, but it may help you charge things with more confidence then you would have otherwise? The M3 is an awesome bike that eats nasty $hit for breakfast and pedals fairly good considering it has 9.5 inches of travel. More then enough bike for these parts, but it all comes down to what you want, how you ride, and what gives you more confidence.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
DHS said:
that is one Gorgeous M3 with the photoshoped color. perfect parts groupo too
yeah, I just need to get rid of the seat for an I-fly and get rid of that bar that weighs almost a full pound. The diablous feels sweet but it's a pig.

Now with sweet new orange pedals

I absolutely love the m3 for downhill trails, the geometry is just perfect for me. It pedals really good but I don't think it climbs that good at all. I have the small and it just feels like you are way to close to the handlebars to really stand up and pedal. Perhaps the medium would be better in that regard. I do alot of riding on it other than at ski resorts and in the mountains since I live in an area thats really flat. I ride it at plattepuss alot. It's not really like trails but just has a bunch of lines that go down this hill then you hike back up. It's really not all that bad for riding on trails and stuff as long as there are no really huge climbs that you aren't willing to just get off and walk it. But having the geometry for racing is worth it to me to have to sacrifice in some areas like being able to climb it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DHracer1067 said:
I absolutely love the m3 for downhill trails, the geometry is just perfect for me. It pedals really good but I don't think it climbs that good at all. I have the small and it just feels like you are way to close to the handlebars to really stand up and pedal. Perhaps the medium would be better in that regard. I do alot of riding on it other than at ski resorts and in the mountains since I live in an area thats really flat. I ride it at plattepuss alot. It's not really like trails but just has a bunch of lines that go down this hill then you hike back up. It's really not all that bad for riding on trails and stuff as long as there are no really huge climbs that you aren't willing to just get off and walk it. But having the geometry for racing is worth it to me to have to sacrifice in some areas like being able to climb it.

I agree, the M3 is a pretty horrible climber......the geometry is all about going downhill. But having said that, it's still not bad for trail riding. You can get across flat sections effeciently and climbing gradual fireroads is not bad. I could stand and crank up some pretty steep trails on my DHR but the M3 is just not into that it seems......

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I was talking with someone at Revolution bike...They said the m3 was junk! He said they are disposable---the head tube keeeps ripping off! Has anyone else heard anything like that? They have a sweet M1, full custom...hope...888...ect...brand spanking new....for $3000.00!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
kindtrails said:
I was talking with someone at Revolution bike...They said the m3 was junk! He said they are disposable---the head tube keeeps ripping off! Has anyone else heard anything like that? They have a sweet M1, full custom...hope...888...ect...brand spanking new....for $3000.00!
I know about 8 people who ride them every week at Diablo, Plattekill and have done nothng but grease the bearings and change shock bushings in 2 years time....

.....Revolution bike should hire a new 'someone' because he sounds like a F'ing moron....

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
This guy USUALLY knows what he is talking about. He said he knows someone who races for Intense. (I forget who). That guy told Intense to send him a new rig every week!--Because he keeps breaking them. (Maybe this dude is super hard on his bike..Maybe he is a big guy?) No one else has heard this??

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Well in this case "the Guy" is full of it, sounds like he just wants you to buy that M1. In fact you need to be cautious with older M1's they had a history of cracking in the rear chainstays and parts may be hard to come by.
The M3 has been shown to be much tougher in that respect, my son has been racing on one for the past two seasons and has had no issues. He also had an M1 prior to that and had no problems either but the M3 is just a better rig all around especially if you are into racing. If you want something more for freeriding and big drops etc you could probably do better with something else.

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Yeah dude,

Don't listen to him, I have a m1. Go for the M3; it can only be better than what they made before. Why make something different if you are not going to improve on it.

DH bikes are not made for flats etc, but you can get by- and if you do its soo much more fun jumping, and flying Down the hill or MT.

LittleBIGjumP:)