Quantcast

Intense M6 Crank & BB question

Hi all,
I am in the process of building up my new DH Rig, and have some crank questions... I am a smaller /lighter guy that doesn't need the burliest cranks out there, and I'm trying to keep the weight of the bike down for racing... I am building up a 2009 Intense M6, 150mm rear end... I was going to put on some new Truvativ Stylo's with external Bearings... I just put the cranks on, and realize that the axle is too short... only about 10 mm sticks out the non drive side bearing to be able to attach the non drive side crank to... I measured the BB shell, and it's 83mm wide, and each external bearing is about another 12mm each... what cranks and size spindle/axle length are you other guys running on your M6's??? Need to order some different cranks asap... I'd like to run some all mountain style cranks on it to keep the weight down...

thanks,
Michael

The cranks I was going to use were originally for my 6.6, which I never used... looks like the spindle is about 116mm long eyeballing it with caliperss... So I'm assuming it's standard the axle is pressed into the drive-side crank... Guess I just discovered that the BB shell on my m6 is wider than my m3!

just called SRAM / Truvativ... looks like they only make the Holzfeller 1.1 DH crank which is 750g for the crank arms... then I'd have to use a howitzer BB... kinda heavy setup for me... anyone have any other ideas? hey Kenyon, what's the weight of your Diety cranks? Does it have the axle pressed into the driveside crank arm (gxp style) or is it 2 crank arms with an Isis spindle all separate?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are many 83mm, 55mm (ish)..and chainline crank options out there and that is what you need.

Saint
Diabolus
Howitzer OTC
several 3 piece BMX style cranks

They are all heavy 'DH' cranks, with saint being the lightest of the above.

For light weight, you essentially have two legitimate options plus one semi-hokey and limmited application.

Gravity lights
RF atlas

I would think the atlas are a little beefier, but IMO the crank/spindle interface leaves a lot to be desired.

you can also get ahold of a set of XT 771 touring cranks and pull a spacer to get them to fit the bb shell. Problem is that they will not have the correct chainline. For correct chainline you will have to run the ring on the outter mount (and of course run an LG-1 style bash).

You should be able to find weights (on a scale) of most of these options on sicklines.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Boogenman, thanks for your response... Yeah, I think for Truvativ, my only option is the hollzfeller's with a howitzer Bottom Bracket... what length spindle is your BB?

They are not sold by spindle length. They are sold by chainline. You would need the 56mm chainline version for 83mm bb. Since the bb is 10mm wider, the spindle should be about the same difference.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
^^^What Dave said. I'll add that the 09 Saint cranks are really close to the Atlas FR cranks (less than 50g) and I'd gladly take the Shimano arm attachement as well as the stiffness of the Saints.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I am 158lbs and the last couple years have been riding some Truvativ holzfeller cranks with isis BB on my m3... no problems whatsoever, and they are lighter crankarms.... So I am thinking lighter weight would be better for me.. I have also been riding all mountain wheelsets with not much trouble either... I Go-Ride has the gravity light cranks for 239.99 with 57.5mm chainline, crank arms and bb - claimed weight is 950g... What do you guys think about crank arm length? I know the m6 has a lower bb height than my m3, so I'm wondering if I should go 165mm crank arms???

Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
what's the weight of your Diety cranks? Does it have the axle pressed into the driveside crank arm (gxp style) or is it 2 crank arms with an Isis spindle all separate?
Sicklines has the Vendettas listed at 961g with crank arms and spindle. They are individual arms pressed onto a non-isis spindle. They are nice because the crank arms and self extracting so no special tools needed.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sicklines has the Vendettas listed at 961g with crank arms and spindle. They are individual arms pressed onto a non-isis spindle. They are nice because the crank arms and self extracting so no special tools needed.

If you are refering to what I think you are, that was a mfg claimed weight from before the cranks were available...to anyone. I believe that this is a major source for the incorrect assumptions that many have about the weights of the cranks.

If you do a search on MTBR you will find a pic of a set of arms and bb on a scale. Close to 1100g with no spider or ring. Someone else in the same thread posted weights of arms and bb seperate (no pics) and they were in agreement.

Unless you are quite tall, go 165s for a DH bike with low bb.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just an FYI, on the howitzer system, there is only one chainline available for the 83MM BB. Same for the 100MM BB.

If you have an older set of Isis drive Cranks, you can get a, Isis drive BB, Not sure what the length would be for that one though, never set one up on a 83MM shell, I always ended up doing outboards on the 83/150 systems.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Like Boogenman said even with the 165mm cranks I still bang them on rocks occassionally.
I run the '09 Saint Cranks on my M6.

FWIW, I have a set of FSA Gravity Cranks 165x83 That I'd sell cheap if your interested.
They aren't the lightest, but they would work for you.

Last edited: