Quantcast

Intense M9 or Carbon V10

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
So it looks like ill be getting one of these two bikes. And I cant decide between the adjust-ability of the M9 or the carboniness of the V10. I know there is some adjustment with the V10 but not as many as the Intense. They both look like awesome bikes. This will be my race/lift assist/jump bike. BTW on an M3 now. Just wondering your guys opinions.

As far as my skill level I regularly finish in the top 5 of sport class and im 6'0' 200 lbs.

P.S. Would the Santa Cruz have better resale value?

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Duh, V10.

V is farther along on the alphabet than M. And 10 is a bigger number than 9.

It's double better!

But in all honesty I'd say you'd have less regrets on a V10 cause it's more bling. And when it comes down to things this close you should really take a close look between geometry. Both bikes are adjustable but they are still different. Little things like size matter a lot too. Which bike has a size closer to what you think is best, etc.

And if you've got any sense I'm pretty sure you've already decided, you're just looking for affirmation. You know one of those bikes is calling you more than the other!

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I say you buy both.
Because if you're a balla enough to buy one, you should have enough to get both! LOL.

That's a tough question, in reality, you'd need to really ride either to make a choice...kind of like asking "Ferrari or Lamborghini?"

That said...I really, really want to rip the carbon V10.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
made in the USA dotdotdot....
so ...you are saying the V10 is the best out of the two right ? Cause in 2011 everyone knows the BEST welders and expertise comes from Taiwanese factories . . .

Havent had anytime on the M9, so cant really comment on that bike , I hope they hold up better than every other bikes Intense has made so far ... Had a few laps on he V10, seems like a great bike to me...dont have much to add to this thread, sorry

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dudefriend, you're comparing two bikes with similar suspension setups, one hand welded out of aluminum and one made out of carbon. The carbon one will be lighter. The aluminum one will likely be more durable, and if not, more easily replaceable.

Which one is better? Who the F knows? If you've got the cash to throw around, and can't make the decision to buy one or the other, buy the one that's made in the country you ride in. Why the hell not?

If you want to ask how good taiwanese welders are, ask the gang waiting for evil frames, ask why zerode nixed taiwanese production, ask why my MFing Sunday has bondo slathered across it. Who welds better or cheaper is not the question. Who employs the welders and where is the answer.

I would love to be able to afford either of these bikes. I think Intense makes some phenomenal phrames, and I have no doubt that the V10C will be fantastic. Still, you're looking at an evolutionary frame vs. a first run carbon frame....first run carbon tends to be sketchy...give it a year and you may see some changes.

YMMV, but I could care less.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am going to say carbon, based solely upon the fact that the more carbon bike sell, the more carbon bikes will get made, who wouldnt want to have the option of getting most bikes in carbon or metal!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
From the latest BIKE mag BIBLE, on newstands now

Intense M9: 37lbs
V10C: 38.2
Commencal Supreme: 40.1lbs
Evil: 40lbs
Trek 88: 38.2lbs

and in the back of the mag, in the 'favorite' bikes of the entire test session, Intense M9 was their favorite DH bike. Intense has done one ad with them in 14 months, so I think the test was pretty unbiased?

At the end of the day, Both bikes are rad because they are VPP which is the finest suspension platform around...yes, I have said that even before I was on payroll.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
As much as I love the V10, I love the Intense M9 even more. Having seen pictures of Nathan Rankin on his M9 in New Zealand, it looks sexy as hell.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Well, since looks are the most important aspect of a bike, that's a tough one. However, I saw a V-10 in the shop this weekend and it is by far the best looking DH bike I've ever seen.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If I were in your shoes, I would just crack a tasty beverage, sit back, and be happy that my world somehow arranged itself to give me such a happy conundrum.

Then I would pick the V10. :D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im in love with my M9 but i think id be equally in love with the V10C if i had it. if the V10 came in raw carbon finish i would have been all over that.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If you want to ask how good taiwanese welders are, ask the gang waiting for evil frames, ask why zerode nixed taiwanese production, ask why my MFing Sunday has bondo slathered across it. Who welds better or cheaper is not the question. Who employs the welders and where is the answer.
C'mon Andrew. Sh!t rolls downhill. The reason your Sunday was bondo slathered, Evils have all sorts of issues, and Zerode had difficulty finding a manufacturer have nothing to do with USA vs. Taiwanese. People have their silly allegiances for whatever reason to certain brands (why do you think companies buy the rights to names like nuke proof, evil, etc... :cough consumers are idiots: ), and 95% time because of this a company can feed a person any sort of verbal diarrhea or give excuses and finger pointing and still end up on top. Have a nice person on the other end of the line and replace a faulty product (no matter's who fault on the design, manufacturing, validation line it is) and 9/10 you've pleased your customer. See Crank Bros.

Anyway I've heard Intense has cleaned up there act. My M1 and a buddies M3 had terrible craftmanship, welds, hardware, and we each had awful customer service experiences. I'm not going to shell out money for one of their frames again without combing over their current stuff with a fine comb, but I won't be so pigheaded that I would never ride one of their bikes again. Personally, I've always felt SC's were higher quality frames, but was never to keen on their implementation of bearings and low life cycles they had.

As far USA welding vs. other. I could care less. The only soul I want in my bike is a good designer behind it and a bunch of people behind desks that run bike manufacturing and sales like a 'real' business.

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
From the latest BIKE mag BIBLE, on newstands now

Intense M9: 37lbs
V10C: 38.2
Commencal Supreme: 40.1lbs
Evil: 40lbs
Trek 88: 38.2lbs
All built with identical parts? I doubt there is 3lbs difference between the frames listed.

My issue with Intense, and this is from a xc bike 5 years ago, was the cost of simple replacement parts. My buddy had the Blur the the same parts were 1/3 the price. That was 5 years ago and not a M9, but SC has always had very reasonable replacement bearing kits and parts and a killer warranty. After waiting through 2010 for a DHR, I finally gave up and ordered a v10c.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Zerode nixed Taiwan because they couldn't afford to order a large first run of frames and went to the USA because the manufacturer was prepared to do a small run first off.

Zerode nixed Vietnam because of quality issues.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'd like to hear some actual input on how these bikes ride. I might be in the same boat this time next year.