Quantcast

Intense re-weldeding?

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
About a week ago, I posted something in one of the threads about my brothers Socom with cracks in it. Anyway, I emailed Intense (Andrew) as somebody mentioned and they told me to take it to my shop. So, today I take it to my shop. They tell me a number of different things Intense does for 07 Socoms.

1- The frame goes back, and gets re-welded.
2- They replace the frame
3- They make me pay for a crash replacement

Now I believe and trust my shop, but the re-welding or crash replacement deals seem like total BS.

Why should I send in a cracked frame, have them butcher it back to life and receive no warranty for there work. What happens if the frame cracks again in another year? My brother is **** out of luck. Not only that, but why the hell should we pay for a $1200 crash replacement because they fcuked up with their 2007 Socoms in the first place?

Anyway, what do you guys think Intense is most likely going to do? Being that they don't make the Socom anymore. And what should I do so I don't end up with the same old frame with a couple new weld beads on it?

Thanks

-Joe

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why should I send in a cracked frame, have them butcher it back to life and receive no warranty for there work. What happens if the frame cracks again in another year? My brother is **** out of luck. Not only that, but why the hell should we pay for a $1200 crash replacement because they fcuked up with their 2007 Socoms in the first place?

Anyway, what do you guys think Intense is most likely going to do? Being that they don't make the Socom anymore. And what should I do so I don't end up with the same old frame with a couple new weld beads on it?

Thanks

-Joe
yeah, cause Intense are total butchers and cant weld for sh1t.
was it their fault it cracked? probably not im guessing

have you talked to Intense about the warranty after re-welding?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

If they could weld worth a sh!t it wouldn't have cracked in the first place.

Just because something costs a lot of money doesn't mean it's made with love.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If they could weld worth a sh!t it wouldn't have cracked in the first place.

Just because something costs a lot of money doesn't mean it's made with love.
youre right. properly welded frames never crack.

how often do frames crack in two spots at the same time?

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ

It's not that they don't know how or aren't good at what they do, its just I don't think the frame should be re-welded. It seems like a hack job, its hard to explain something like that over the Interent. Would you ride something that has been re-welded after you've seen cracks in those areas? It's like having fake rims on your car. Somebody goes up to you and compliments the BBS wheels on your car, but deep inside you know something is wrong because they are fakes. Maybe that was a bad comparison but I am trying to make a point.

My shop told me that 6 2007 Socoms were brought back at the end of the season. I would assume that makes it Intense's fault. I am not the only one with a cracked frame before the 2 year warranty is up. I did not talk to Intense about their warranty after re-welding yet. But my shop did tell me they do not offer warranty afterwards. Like I said before, I trust my shop so I'll take their word for it until either of us get in Contact with Intense. I just want to make sure Intense is doing the right thing for one of their frames that obviously has a defect...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I understand where you're coming from.

I rode a re-welded Foes Mono for awhile. I bought it 2nd hand and didn't know it had been re-welded until after it arrived.
Rode the hell out of that bike, didn't have a problem.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I understand where you're coming from.

I rode a re-welded Foes Mono for awhile. I bought it 2nd hand and didn't know it had been re-welded until after it arrived.
Rode the hell out of that bike, didn't have a problem.
I am sure Intense will do a good job and there won't be any problems. But it just doesn't seem like the right thing for them to do. The frame was bought brand-new incase of issues with the frame, so there is a warranty to back up any problems. This re-weld crap just doesn't seem ethical.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
So it cracked within it's warranty and Intense is making you pay a crash replacement to either reweld it or replace it?
No, my shop told me 3 things could happen.

-Intense will re-weld my frame

or

-Intense will make me pay for a crash replacement frame.

or

-Intense will replace the frame

I am hoping they just replace it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
. Would you ride something that has been re-welded after you've seen cracks in those areas? It's like having fake rims on your car. Somebody goes up to you and compliments the BBS wheels on your car, but deep inside you know something is wrong because they are fakes. Maybe that was a bad comparison but I am trying to make a point.

My shop told me that 6 2007 Socoms were brought back at the end of the season. I would assume that makes it Intense's fault. I am not the only one with a cracked frame before the 2 year warranty is up. I did not talk to Intense about their warranty after re-welding yet. But my shop did tell me they do not offer warranty afterwards. Like I said before, I trust my shop so I'll take their word for it until either of us get in Contact with Intense. I just want to make sure Intense is doing the right thing for one of their frames that obviously has a defect...
if it was welded by a moron, then no. if it was welded by the company that made the product, then yes. they arent going to send you back the frame if its going to break...thatll be a huge lawsuit where the outcome is you owning Intense.
W00dy had his Brooklyn re-welded by Doc and it looks amazing.

and its not like it still isnt a Intense or they swapped your bro's Socom for a Sunday.

6 Socoms broken Socoms from 1 shop is pretty crazy too. im not obviously saying its there fault, but that seems crazy

dont be lazy, have him call Intense and get the right answer. if its under warranty, then this shouldnt be a problem. find your receipt before you call them

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Oh. So you haven't even *heard* from Intense yet? You're complaining about things that *might* happen...
I have spoken with intense before I brought the frame in, all they told me was they are sorry and I have to go through my shop to complete the warranty process. I originally started this thread to seek opinions on what to expect and what to do. I apologize if it did seem like I am complaining a bit.

if it was welded by a moron, then no. if it was welded by the company that made the product, then yes. they arent going to send you back the frame if its going to break...thatll be a huge lawsuit where the outcome is you owning Intense.
W00dy had his Brooklyn re-welded by Doc and it looks amazing.

and its not like it still isnt a Intense or they swapped your bro's Socom for a Sunday.

6 Socoms broken Socoms from 1 shop is pretty crazy too. im not obviously saying its there fault, but that seems crazy

dont be lazy, have him call Intense and get the right answer. if its under warranty, then this shouldnt be a problem. find your receipt before you call them
Like I said, I am sure they will do an impeccable job. It probably won't even look like anything was there, but its still that feeling of what used to be there that would just tick me off.

I brought my receipt in with the frame, they are going to get back to me tomorrow and they assured me I'll be taken care of. But I am just a little skeptical about this re-weld thing. Who knows, maybe they aren't even going to do it. Maybe it'll just get replaced. I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
When my 07 Socom went in for warrranty for the guide tabs being in the wrong place, they offered me two optionis. Mine was a manufacuter defect so Im not sure if they would do the same thing for you.

1. Reweld and fix for free
2. Upgrade to a 951 for $$$$

You know what I did.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
When my 07 Socom went in for warrranty for the guide tabs being in the wrong place, they offered me two optionis. Mine was a manufacuter defect so Im not sure if they would do the same thing for you.

1. Reweld and fix for free
2. Upgrade to a 951 for $$$$

You know what I did.
Thanks for the response,

Thats what I am thinking they want to do for me. How much did they want to charge you for a 951?

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Just got this from Andrew at Intense,

"Joseph,
No problem there. They do a good job.

I would like to clarify some things for you.
-Our warranty process is 2 years from purchase date to the original owner.
-Crash replacement at reduced pricing is available after the 2 year mark.
-Usually a cracked triangle that is a manufacturer defect is replaced with a
brand new triangle. If no new part is available, then a refurbed item will
be issued instead.
-All refurb triangles are completely structurally sound and will come with
new decals and bearings. These refurb triangles are mostly comprised of
frames that were out of alignment and have been repaired, re heat treated,
and ready for use. Using a re-welded frame is a last resort in a warranty
case.
-If a refurb frame is sent out as a replacement, the shop is always notified
of the previous issue with the frame was.
-Regardless of what replacement you get, Refurb or New, the frame will still
have a 2 year warranty from the original purchase date.

Cheers,
Andrew VanZuyen
U.S. Sales
Intense Cycles"

So this is what he said, we'll wait and see what the outcome is.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't rule out Option #4: sending you somebody else's re-welded frame.
:panic:

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Even Turner will re-weld their frames in a warranty situation. It'll be fine.
My buddy and I both have re-welded Turner Dhrs. Mine has been going strong for 2 years now and his hasn't had any problems either (his re-weld was a year ago). They did a great job with it and by great job I mean re-welded the crack(s), replaced links, replaced all hardware (bearings, bolts, hanger) and threw some new paint on the entire frame. We basically got new frames which equals us super stoked.

If intense does it the same way I'd be pumped for a re-weld if I was you.