Quantcast

Intense Socom, available yet? Price?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
It's scheduled to be available for a mid-August launch with the "works" finish(raw) being the first ones available, in medium sizes first. The price is yet to be determined, and supposed to be somewhere in between the Uzzi and M3 price range. Available with the same shocks as the M3-DHX, Swinger, or Revox. Taking pre-orders now...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
jackalope said:
^^
Yup...Although it seems like it would sorta compete against the M3...I mean, it *sounds* basically like a light weight M3...
While I see your point, I guess you could say that some people might really want that extra travel with the M3....ahem Edddd Buchan. :love:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Pffft...I'm really only asking out of curiosity...I mean, if a bike doesn't have at least 10" of travel, then it's just a heavy trail bike...Hell, I'm hoping SC finally steps up to the plate and makes a V-12...Ya know, something with 303 mm of travel...

See, eventually, I'll have enough travel to counter my ever dwindling bike handling skills...Soon I'll be the biggest DH hack ever, but it won't matter as I monster truck over everything...And course marking tape is for puzzies...

:)

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
jackalope said:
^^
Yup...Although it seems like it would sorta compete against the M3...I mean, it *sounds* basically like a light weight M3...
Except it has less travel, is front derailleur compatible, and offers more seat height adjustment :love: :oink: :blah:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^

Word...However, I think the difference between 8.5" and 9.5" of travel is relatively minor in the world of DH bikes...I mean, a lot of full on DH bikes have 8.5" of travel, no?

However, the front gorilla option is pretty nice...But not so sure about the adjustable seat height position...Doesn't the M3 have a super slack seat tube angle? If it's like my V-10, then you can adjust it all you want and it's still going to be a boo awful pedaling position...But if it's got a steeper seat tube, than disregard my point...Actually, who I am kidding? You'll disregard it no matter what :love:

Btw, either one of you guys have a 2.5 DH tyre I can borrow for BC? I need something in the back that's more like a Maxxis "2.5" than say a Kenda "2.5"...Really don't want to take off the Minion on my 10...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
MBA weights are from cali, which follows the logic of "yeah, of course they're real. If they're attached to my chest, then they're real."

Take MBA weights, and multiply by 1.2 I'd say.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
INTENSE KEEPS THE LOVE COMING
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
R. Cunningham

Jeff Steber, Intense Cycles founder sent MBA a peep show of his latest creation—a lightweight downhill chassis called the “Socom FRO.” (FRO means “for racing only”) The frame and shock weigh 8 pounds, and it uses the Virtual Pivot Point suspension that now graces all Intense dual-suspension bikes. The prototype is outfitted with light-for-gravity-duty Easton wheels and a Manitou Revox shocks with a titanium spring. The fork is a dual-crown Travis, which needs no introduction. Rear wheel travel is posted at 8.5 inches.

The Socom Fro has been on the drawing boards at Intense for quite some time—in one form or another—and is the logical next step. Santa Cruz has secretly been outfitting its team with lighter versions of the V-10—and they are not alone. But there are other reasons for a more pedal-friendly gravity machine. Downhill racing opportunities are shrinking while resort parks are tailoring their slopes with man-made stunts and extreme natural-terrain trails to cater to freeriders and long-travel recreationists. The Socal FRO should be a weapon of choice for sponsored pros who need a faster-accelerating race bike, but we figure that most of them will end up under well-monied gravity junkies who shred for fun and may race on the occasional weekend. A bike like this promises to be way too much fun to carry a “racing only’ sticker.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^

Thanks for the article...That thar is a sweet looking rig...

On a sidenote, didn't realize SC was making lightweight V-10s...Bastages...

I'm not going to be happy until I have a 36lb V-10 like Montashu...

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I have a more general question for everyone here:

Do you think this breed of bike (simple more traditional tubing, super light, DH geometry and travel) as more desirable or potential more popular than the heavier and fancier-looking DH rigs we see today? (v10, demo, sunday, and others with lots of CNC and interrupted seat tubes) By nature of simply being lighter and more versatile, yet still racing as well, I could see this bike being extremely sought-after by riders unable to find frames that are 'right' for what they like to do.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The socom kinda represents the quandry DH racing is in right now. Fewer proper lift accessed venues. More pedally, small hill courses are (Fontana, Firestone, Sonoma, Sea Otter)

It also represents some of the needs the average Joe DH'r is facing choosing a bike for the local terrain, which may not be as gnar as what the big bikes are designed for. They want the DH geometry, but with less travel/weight. Previously the only choice was a shorter travel freerider that didn't have the geo you wanted.

This is a type of bike thats going to flourish, its versatile and fits the bill for lot of people in a lot of places. I don't think it will supplant more traditional big bikes though, since there are places that warrant the big guns.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Really cool bike for someone like myself who needs a light bike,

For each rider i know looking for a light DH bike i know 3 who have just broken their DH bike and can't afford to fix it.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Zark said:
This is a type of bike thats going to flourish, its versatile and fits the bill for lot of people in a lot of places. I don't think it will supplant more traditional big bikes though, since there are places that warrant the big guns.
I agree 100%.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Dogboy said:
I agree 100%.
I agree also. I am equal distance between Sea Otter and Cougar Mountain and these types of bikes are the ticket. I don't race anymore and sold my big DH bike, these these new smaller, lighter bikes (Socom, Demo7) are what will get me back into it. Easier to take on the local dh-type trails as well.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey - just wondering - since Intense and Santa Cruz share a lot of design specs and technology - isn't the SOCOM Intense Cycles iteration of the Santa Cruz Nomad???

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
S.K.C. said:
Hey - just wondering - since Intense and Santa Cruz share a lot of design specs and technology - isn't the SOCOM Intense Cycles iteration of the Santa Cruz Nomad???
The 6.6 is the equivalent of the Nomad.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
leprechaun said:
Really cool bike for someone like myself who needs a light bike,

For each rider i know looking for a light DH bike i know 3 who have just broken their DH bike and can't afford to fix it.
BAM! Truth, right in the forehead.

Guys are gonna go out and buy this thing in the hopes that its gonna be the key to thier racing careers, and its gonna break. THen where are ya?

Look at Sanjay. I could stick that guy on a goddam 9 wheeled, 4 gearbox iron backwards bike, and he'd stick rock the **** out of it and be fast.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
really tell me the light frame that just brakes up unless it was a serious crash?, the orange 223,224 is lighter than anything out there and still will be for time, and if they keep going the way they are theres gonna be another pound shaved off the bike this year as well and will be stronger than the 222 or 223.

as they make these bikes lighter and lighter they have to find a way to make them stronger or theres no point.

thats like saying we could make a jet plane out of paper mache that would be the most manoverable and fastest out there but would exploed and set on fire if it hit an bird.

and anyway who dosen't like riding a bike thats light flickable and easy to pedal and wont break down, you ride a commencal for that exact reason dont you?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Lets take a bike right out off Intense's history sheet for that one. THe lighter the M1 got, the more it broke. SNapped stays, headtubes, blah blah balh.

Its jsut kinda scary thinking about people buying into the hype, and getting totalled when the bike doesn't stand up to the abuse.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
If it really is 8 pounds with shock then thats crazy. If that is true it has to be a dainty little thing. I know I would not feel comfortable on a frame that light. The tubing must be very thin and 8 pounds is far too light for an 8.5 inch travel frame with a coil shock. I guess calling it "FRO" is correct but even then, it still seems too light for a race only bike.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I can also see this frame getting broken by riders who aren't as smooth as than they think they are... and will then go bitching to Intense... :mumble:

"FRO" might also translate to "Sold Without Warranty"

In my case, I'm too slow to break stuff... Which is why I can still get away with DH riding on a '98 Lawwill DH-6... If it really is 8 lbs... then I might be interested... I'm also looking at the Nomad... :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
Lets take a bike right out off Intense's history sheet for that one. THe lighter the M1 got, the more it broke. SNapped stays, headtubes, blah blah balh.

Its jsut kinda scary thinking about people buying into the hype, and getting totalled when the bike doesn't stand up to the abuse.
I have to agree with Jeff on this one, Intense doesn't exactly have a great track record on this stuff.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
julian_dh said:
they have never had a bike more on target than this.

and from the photo, it looks like its target is the s.c. vpfree.

good lookin machine.
but then again so is the vpfree.
but neither is a true d.h. bike.
but that's what they'll be used for.
especially as more and more places are easing out(dumbing down) their trails to attract more riders.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Transcend said:
I have to agree with Jeff on this one, Intense doesn't exactly have a great track record on this stuff.
I've kinda hoped they turned a new leaf on that issue. I haven't heard of any issues with the M3 or VPX bikes.

This bike could suck a big one but Intense is still gonna sell em like hotcakes.
Why?
Because nowadays people like to ride big bikes period.
Days of slogging through singletrack with 3.0 tires and shivers is coming back to light bikes and well, this is what its gonna look like.
And just because it for "racing" will only make weekend warriors who don't race and also actual non hucker race types pine for this bike.

It ain't for me but i'm just saying...........