Quantcast

Interbike Dirt Demo Impressions (DH oriented)

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Heres a quick summary of the bikes I was able to demo this year at Bootleg Canyon. I tried to mainly comment on the suspension characteristics of the frame and not so much of each individual component unless one sucked badly enough to stick out. I know there are other great bikes than what I am used to so this was an opportunity to find out what else was out there. It was a blast. Please note: this is just my opinion on how these bikes were set up and rode on these particular trails during interbike. Component changes and environment could possibly change some of these impressions. Enjoy the ride.

Foes 2:1 FXR(Medium)

This was the first bike I took out at interbike. This is a beautiful frame that was setup for xc riding and could easily be a superb bike for anyone within its intended use. Whats cool is one could use it for xc or build it a little stronger for for more action in the 6” mode. This bike was taken solely on smooth, rolly xc terrain and according to Brent at Foes was set up in the rear for 6” of travel. The FXR handled itself very well, The neutral ‘feel’ made this a very easy bike to get used to. I did notice a small clicking noise as the frame cycled through the upper part of its travel, it was as if something was not right and was annoying. Out of the saddle sprints didn’t upset the suspension, it just lunged forward quickly begging to be thrown and railed around turns. Most notable on this bike was how nicely it handled speedy singletrack.

Cove Prototype(S/M)

I was eager to try this frame out when I saw it. During Crankworx, I saw it being built up for the first time and wanted to ride it. This frame was designed as a 7” slopestyle prototype for ‘small’ Cove teamriders. The small medium frame was ultra small for my tastes. Just pedaling around the rear end squatted and the front end felt like I was steering a chopper. I didn’t ride this bike very long because of the fit.

Cove Shocker DH (M)

I immediately like this bike leaps and bounds above the prototype I had tried earlier. This Cove frame, like the proto, gave me the impression that Cove bikes have smaller cockpits than the average. This may be a Northshore BC design for the Knolly delirium T felt like this as well. The headangle was very slack and the BB was super low, perfect for racing DH. Overall this was a stable bike that wanted to rip the mountain. The bike had a low BB, long chainstays, and super plush well behaved suspension characteristics. One thing that stuck out while riding was the positioning. While descending it was almost as if I were leaning back a little rather than forward in attack mode. I could say this was a squatty feeling descender, But it did this well once you were adjusted and became used to it. The 2.5 maxxis minions Frt & Rear hooked up well to the hardpack gravelly terrain. Overall the shocker DH was a superb ride with a decent build kit. I would own one of these if I could have 10 bikes.

Knolly Deliruim T (medium)

I had been wanting to ride a Delirium T for a long time. I was the first one to try this bike out since it had just been built. With the seat raised the bike climbed beautifully up the singletrack to the peak of the mountain. It tracked over rocks ever so smoothly and maintained its crispness in the sharp uphill switchbacks. Up at top I cranked down Armageddon, Poopshoot, snakeback & through the jump park before heading back to the demo. The rear end felt like it ate up bumps perfectly. When the saddle was dropped, the top tube felt a little tight compared to other mediums, this could easily be because of the seat tube angle. With the saddle raised for climbing the pedal positioning is spot on. When dropping the saddle the cockpit becomes much smaller due to the 64 degree seat tube angle. The fork choice on this bike could have made this one of the bikes to beat in the whole show. However, it was built with a Nixon which in my opinion wanked. The headangle felt steeper than I wanted it too as well. On this frame one can adjust the headangle and the wheelbase. Unfortunatly I did not play around with these settings, so the outcome could have been even better. Weight doesn’t really come into play once pedaling this bike, it is unnoticeable . Overall this is an excellent bike with some of the most aesthetically pleasing welds.

Knolly V-Tach (M)

The V-Tach felt better to me than the Delirium. The TT is longer, therefore it fit me better. I had a blast on this bike. The Totem coil up front worked hand in hand with the dhx coil in the rear (7.7”). Suspension tracking on this bike is excellent, it was very plush and positive on the slow steep technical terrain. At speeds it felt strong as well. Keep in mind this bike is designed to be a freeriding champion. For its intended purpose it rules.
This bike felt like a bigger version of the delirium. I liked it more based on the fit and the fact that it was built very similar to my Highline. If technical challenging riding is your game this bike will serve you well. This bike feels so good it can probably convince you to go bigger and badder than you should. I believe it can handle anything. Both of the Knolly’s are two bikes I would like to own if money was no object.

Turner Highline (M)

I took this bike to the most challenging trail up in Bootleg Canyon. (Ginger) this is a double black diamond trail, not suitable for the faint of heart. I know this bike so it was a no brainer that it was time to step it up again. It was cool to try out a different build kit than mine. This one was completed using FSA/Gravity bits everywhere but in the wheels. There was a 2.5 2ply mobster up front and highroller in the rear. The mobster gave away to the sides in the the lose chundery rocks, I would have chosen a different tire. On the rear, the HR behaved well. The combo of maxis 2ply tires and dh tubes rules as far as getting flats goes. I rode this higline for about 3 days in a row all day.
Overall this bike is still my favorite. This and the V-tach by Knolly bikes. The Highline edges out the V-tach in my opinion, because the HL geometry and ride feels a little lower and longer, making it more fun to ride at high speeds. In the slow speed technical terrain the bikes are close neither one blazing past the other. Being used to a highline the higher ride height kept me a little more cautious on the Knolly. Both bikes rip.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Moutain Cycle Battery (M)

The Battery is designed for slopestyle competition, dirt jumping and park riding. With its low standover and tight geometry, it is both responsive and designed for big air. Availability of this model will be Spring 2007. That’s what the manufacturer says… However, to me, this seems like the ultimate 4x race bike. It’s a light, fast&quick, low slung, nuetral handling machine. It just feels too light for big slope style stuff. The BB yoke sure was cool though. The rear suspension felt pretty stiff so on rough terrain it didn’t really eat up bumps but mainly just chattered over them. I rode the 4x track and the bmx track on this bike as well as some of the close trails. Since I didn’t know it super well I choose to play it safe on the dj’s and give them a miss. If you are looking for a nimble racy feeling playbike this one may make you happy.

Intense Socom (M)

I liked this bike but the front end felt like it rode high almost like the rear end was lowered and the front end was jacked up. This may have something to do with the fact that I think it was running and Manitou fork & I think Manitou forks suck, but for some reason the front end just felt high. The rear end felt really springy when I got on it. I tried to adjust the rebound on the swinger to control its springy rebound characteristics but it changed the ride very little, I should add here that I don’t like any of the Manitou rear shocks either. The Revox I hear is a different story but the Socom with the revox was out so I took out the raw one with the swinger equipped. One of the Intense guys was a bit of a high horse prick, They said there was like a 4 person wait for the bike, when they looked around for the guys waiting there was nobody around. They basically dicked me around for like 10 minutes before letting the Socom go for a rip. Aside from the weak fork choices many IBike demo bikes used the Intense Socom is a sweet riding machine. These are the kinds of bikes I like. They are built solid enough for dh riding and jumping, but they are light enough to pedal around if it needs to be. However, I am sure there are gnarly places where one would opt for a heavier dh bike to plow through the massive rock sections. A light ride like this one would probably just get tossed around like a ragdoll in sections like this. There is of course gray area with your build choice but I think we get the point. This bike could easily be built in the 40lb area, perhaps lighter. The socom was a fun, balanced frame that many will be happy riding fast downhill. I wish I had more time on this bike.

Specialized Demo 8 (m)

I had some trouble getting a bike midday on Day 2. But I ran into the Cane Creek booth the day before and saw some nice rides. For these demo days, I was enjoying the top of the mountains DH trails rather than spinning around on the xc stuff so I opted for their demo 8 new 2 years ago over the 5spot. This bike had some nice Cane Creek wheels/headset and Double Barrel rear shock. The Rock Shock Team fork felt dodgy at best. I had two coil preload spacers taken out before proceeding to catch one of the last shuttles of the day for some action. This is a stable race bike at the least. The rear shock really absorbed the rocky jagged terrain well. I know the rear worked exceptionally well because the front sucked monkey nuts. Hitting semi square edged hits it was almost as if the internals were filled with rocks. Aside from the fork the rear end almost made the rocks go away. The frame tracks true and wants you to go faster, I can see why a lot of people or happy to rock the Demo 8 from Specialized.

Santa Cruz VP Free (m)

The VP free was set up with a Fox 40 and dh tires and wheels. I expected this bike to be super plush and fast. However after riding all kinds of stellar bikes, it just felt dead, slow and somewhat stiff over the dh terrain. I could have pulled some mean dead sailors on this bike:) The bike gets the job done but was nothing exciting. I almost wished I had picked up something else. It just felt like too much work trying to ride it. When I picked it up the tires were way to pumped and the suspension was overdamped. After setting it up right it still gave me the impressions of being an average bike to forget.

Yeti 303 (Medium)

The yeti was the last bike I demoed at the 06’ IBike dirt demos. I took it straight to the top and straight to the bottom with out stopping. What I can say is this. It’s a bike built for fast racing, It was so fun and the momentum was so easy to blaze that I didn’t want to stop! It plows through everything enabling you to ride a level faster than before, my eyes usually blur a little when going fast, and this bike it was almost sketchy because I couldn’t see. All you have to do is pick a descent line and the bike will kick ass through the rest. As far as the bikes stance goes. The 303 almost felt like it was more of a tall& upright feeling bike rather than racy, low slung, and slack. Regardless, This bike has 8.5” of rear travel that felt more like 10”. Overall this is the DH bike that stood out the most for the sheer ability of it to just thrash through rocky sections and maintain massive amounts of momentum. The ride was super smooth as if the rocks were not even there. The Fox 40 worked well to compliment the rear. Personally, I think the bike is fugly but I think 80% of the DH bikes out there are ugly.

There were a few bikes that I missed a chance to demo like the rocky mountains with the Marz Rocco the giant dh rig, Devinci Ollie/Wilson, and the demo 7, along with the Canfield Bros. bikes. The ellsworth rogue just looked like a donkey I didn’t even want to try it. Too bad there were’nt any IH Sundays or 7pts around, they look like sweet bikes. Sam Hills Factory Sunday felt amazing. It was insanly plush. It made the Sunday I’ve had previously feel like frozen candy. Also the Ventana el cuervo, and the foes mono were missing. Maybe these guys will come out next year. Thanks for reading, enjoy the ride.

RM

Feb 13, 2006
A quick observation on your comments re the Knolly bikes.

You say the cockpit gets small when the saddle is dropped. Perhaps you don't realize that the dropped-saddle position is a position that's meant to be ridden standing, off-saddle. If you want to sit and ride, put the saddle up to pedaling height or something in between.

The whole point of Noel's design is to have the saddle completely out of the way when you drop it. The idea is to get rid of everything that might hinder you from getting your weight back. It's meant for steep terrain where you wouldn't be riding in a forward, attack position.

I have a V-Tach from the original run of 40. I know the bike well. Your comments are a bit inaccurate and a bit unfair.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR

You say the cockpit gets small when the saddle is dropped. Perhaps you don't realize that the dropped-saddle position is a position that's meant to be ridden standing, off-saddle. If you want to sit and ride, put the saddle up to pedaling height or something in between.

The whole point of Noel's design is to have the saddle completely out of the way when you drop it. The idea is to get rid of everything that might hinder you from getting your weight back. It's meant for steep terrain where you wouldn't be riding in a forward, attack position.

I have a V-Tach from the original run of 40. I know the bike well. Your comments are a bit inaccurate and a bit unfair.
It's his OPINION, and he's entitled to it. :rolleyes:

Great write-up RJM!! :cheers:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States

Hey Dillhole - his opinion - don't hate cause he didn't like your bike

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Good review! I definately like the sounds of the Battery. Was it pretty cramped or did it feel decently long in the TT? How tall are you, and what size bike would it compare to?

Thanks!

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Forgot about this thread. thanks Insideman.

PB, I know what your saying homes, thats why i explained, as the saddles raised positioning is 'spot on', lowered its closer...read next time. I loved the Knolly bikes.

Bicyclist, the Battery was indeed a nicely sized bike. To me, I am 5'10-160#, it fit like a glove. When I stood up to hammer I never once thought about whaling my knees on the bars or stem. Light and responsive was my overall impression.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bicyclist, the Battery was indeed a nicely sized bike. To me, I am 5'10-160#, it fit like a glove. When I stood up to hammer I never once thought about whaling my knees on the bars or stem. Light and responsive was my overall impression.
But will they ever produce it?