Quantcast

interesting new shock from AVY

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
WheelieMan said:
Why no 8.75 X 2.75? (not that I am actually interested)
Since there's no remote resivoir or piggy-back, he had to put the extra guts inside the main shock body. Kinda like Romic.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Ok, - I admit it !! I said something bad and I actually regret it !! The thing about the Avy clan was meant as half a joke (but not perceived as such) - my BAD ! Apology !

For the shock - I dont care if Avy shocks are cheap or expensive, because if I like the quality I will get it anyway. Then, of course it is good if Avy can build a cheap shock at a top quality ! Super nice and I hope Avy will sell a lot so they can keep up the good work !!

Thank you !

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
seismic said:
cmon....dont get so angry....I just mean that I (as many others) like to have some stuff on the bike which are not the most common...that is all !!! ;)
First when being part of the "Elite" is only about money you are destine to find somebody with a lot more of it

If you really want to talk "exclusive" try to get one of this,,Yeah from the start they cost more than $20,000dollar(base price,not including R&D or final tuning work) and to make thing even more ExClUsiVe you can NOT!!!! have one (even if you have all the Money,,not new at least) because Ohlins will NoT SELL it to you (your team usually) until they study your track record, merits and sponsorships to see it you qualified....Oh this forks are Full "Works" that you only see in MotoGP bikes that cost more than a few houses combine and get "Crush" after they dutty is being completeted do to all the secret development that go into them..

Here are the Motocross version a little cheaper, I think the forks are about $15,000 (with out the custom "Works" treatment) and the shock is about $7.000,, this forks are pretty much what you see in many World class motocross bikes (No,No not the super cross they race in America but the real outdoor races they race mostlly in europe) and the Paris dakar bikes that require the best suspension the money can buy

Again if what makes "AVY" exclusive is the $700 price tag for the shock, is a pretty easy club be part of,,if you really want to be part of a Exclusive club start to make your own frames or components like BCD and then you can talk all the S^^T you want because you earn it...

in my concept I think is a good thing that Avalanche is entering a wider market since that will warranty their survival, as long as they keep their goals intact everything will be fine..
they can have many levers of quality like in the motorcycle world were you have "Shelfs"...A.K.A.
"Works"=>pretty much secret stuff.
top shelf=> un-reachable for normal humans no matter how rich they are
Many upper shelfs=>for guys like you and me.
midde shelf=> out of the box aftermarket
Bottom shelf=> O.E.M. supplies

So far I have 3 of their shocks and I love them, but i don't feel "special", I only feel smart & Lucky because they are really good shocks, hopefully someday i will have one of their forks,, sadlly i don't deserve it anymore, since i'm a Old fart that can not ride for **** anymore even if 20 years ago i was pretty good...

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
zedro said:
yeah, i'm tired of all these brand-X shocks folding in half left and right!.....
i've blown romics, RC's, R's, 5th's and seen most other shocks go as well (dhx's, swingers etc) but never an avy (or el jefe for that matter).

And the new hype DHX Air, seen two blown already. Probably just an o-ring problem or air sneaking into the negative chamber causing a "stuckdown" unit. But still. Just love that, i.e. during a race.

The best is this: Cracked piggy from a bad and probaby cheap forging:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Trond said:
The best is this: Cracked piggy from a bad and probaby cheap forging:
Or, it was a grom who installed the newest shock without checking clearances.
i wonder if there is impact damage under that oil from where the piggyback struck the frame during an impact. that wouldnt be fox's problem.

but who knows - its the internet.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Or, it was a grom who installed the newest shock without checking clearances.
i wonder if there is impact damage under that oil from where the piggyback struck the frame during an impact. that wouldnt be fox's problem.

but who knows - its the internet.
I know, good you're e-speculating. It probably didn't matter that it's sold with the frame and Mojo (british Fox distributor) warrantied it because of an internal problem/casting with the shock.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Trond said:
I know, good you're e-speculating. It probably didn't matter that it's sold with the frame and Mojo (british Fox distributor) warrantied it because of an internal problem/casting with the shock.
my gawd! a warranty claim! well that proves it, everything exept Avy is complete crap.....

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
zedro said:
my gawd! a warranty claim! well that proves it, everything exept Avy is complete crap.....
It's not what I said, but feel free to tweak it into any context you prefer :sneaky:

Having to wait weeks (I'm in Northern Europe) during the riding season just to get a defect or broken product fixed I'll take my chances on something with a proven track record. Simple really. Three weeks of no riding beats the urge to save 300grams.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Trond said:
I
Having to wait weeks (I'm in Northern Europe) during the riding season just to get a defect or broken product fixed I'll take my chances on something with a proven track record. Simple really. Three weeks of no riding beats the urge to save 300grams.
whats funny is the myth that Avy's never need to be serviced (well unless you change bikes/put on weight/wait till the nitro bleeds through the bladder/get the wrong tuning) or never have a failiure (because those are ok to have with such an awsome shock). Or no one cares to notice that putting out about a 100-1000 times more product may appear to give a higher failiure rating.....but anyways :dancing:

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
zedro, do you have a personal vendetta against avalanche? if so make your own thread, otherwise be quiet we've had this argument too many times.

why are you talking down on the shock anyways? what did craig ever do to you.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
zedro said:
Or no one cares to notice that putting out about a 100-1000 times more product may appear to give a higher failiure rating....
If its only about volume of units, why am (was) I and most of those who I know and/or ride with, getting the "defects" of the other brands? :confused:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
zedro said:
whats funny is the myth that Avy's never need to be serviced (well unless you change bikes/put on weight/wait till the nitro bleeds through the bladder/get the wrong tuning) or never have a failiure (because those are ok to have with such an awsome shock). Or no one cares to notice that putting out about a 100-1000 times more product may appear to give a higher failiure rating.....but anyways :dancing:
well i've had mine on my BMW for 2 years now. i just recharged the nitrogen and feels like it did when i first bought it. was a free recharge too. :thumb:

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
DHS said:
well i've had mine on my BMW for 2 years now. i just recharged the nitrogen and feels like it did when i first bought it. was a free recharge too. :thumb:
Was it free since you got the bike from BMW?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
zedro said:

Chevy Corvettes are the only US made vehicle to consistantly recieve positive consumer satisfaction reports. This doesn't mean that they never break down, aren't expensive to purchase or insure, they don't go faster than a riced out Civic, they don't have a hover mode or whatever else you may imagine. All it means is that the prestige of owning a Corvette, the pleasure of driving one and the joy of being surrounded by fiberglass out paces by a good margin the headaches of ownership. At least more so than other vehicles. It's the same with Avys, people think they are that much better, for whatever reason, even though they may still have the same problems as any other shock out there.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
zedro said:

Well, I shall be the first to admit that I get my shock serviced once a year :thumb:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
How said:
zedro, do you have a personal vendetta against avalanche?
only an obsessed cult member would say that, otherwise it'd be known as "a discussion of personal thoughts and opinions".... :sneaky:

sorry i'll stop getting so personal and rant against those who think Hope's are the best thing since indoor plumbing instead :mumble:

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
zedro said:
whats funny is the myth that Avy's never need to be serviced (well unless you change bikes/put on weight/wait till the nitro bleeds through the bladder/get the wrong tuning) or never have a failiure (because those are ok to have with such an awsome shock).
I don't change bikes often and I'm not a compulsive eater/starver. The nitro bleeds through after a year, hence the service, which most shocks seems to gain performance from anyway.

Wrong tuning? Feel free to fit into a "normal" shock where they have guessed your weigh for you. My RP3 on my spot runs out of rebound adjustment (I'm 215lbs). Lighter guys can't get it fast enough. That's sweet for a $300 shock.

Or no one cares to notice that putting out about a 100-1000 times more product may appear to give a higher failiure rating.....but anyways :dancing:
Very true indeed.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Kornphlake said:
It's the same with Avys, people think they are that much better, for whatever reason, even though they may still have the same problems as any other shock out there.
I guess I just forgot about all the times that I needed to send my DHS back for repair and service.:eek:

A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste :nopity:.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Kinda bummed the new shock doesn't have seperate rebound and compression adjustment. It's sorta like my Mojo with twin bleed adjustment. Never quite managed to find that "sweet spot" where the compression and rebound were both right on the same setting. Oh well the pricing is still good and it'll be interesting to hear some ride reports from owners (especially those with DHRs) to see if my fear regarding the adjustment limitations are baseless or not.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
<Loud snoring>

Huh, whuzzat? Oh damn, another "Avy is the greatest ever" thread? Those cult guts are battling with zedro again? Ok sweet, I can get some more sleep. Wake me when something happens...

<Louder snoring>

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
OGRipper said:
<Loud snoring>

Huh, whuzzat? Oh damn, another "Avy is the greatest ever" thread? Those cult guts are battling with zedro again? Ok sweet, I can get some more sleep. Wake me when something happens...

<Louder snoring>

....dont worry....nothing happens....we will keep on as always..... :D

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
zedro said:
only an obsessed cult member would say that, otherwise it'd be known as "a discussion of personal thoughts and opinions".... :sneaky:

sorry i'll stop getting so personal and rant against those who think Hope's are the best thing since indoor plumbing instead :mumble:

All I hear are good reasons to join the cult... besides you haven't ever had one go bad on you, may as well get one... especially now since they are cheaper, i'll bet they would make one that would be just right for your new frame... what the heck is the status on that thing anyways? the CAD was sweet (/brain control)

On topic: I wonder how the shock will work compared to the existing DHS I know that the old shock is designed to be used for a long time without getting any hydraulic lockout, other than that there's no real use for the piggyback that I can think of, maybe it's overkilll and this one would work sweet? or maybe this one will suffer from overheating issues, guess we'll find out.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
patineto said:
First when being part of the "Elite" is only about money you are destine to find somebody with a lot more of it

If you really want to talk "exclusive" try to get one of this,,Yeah from the start they cost more than $20,000dollar(base price,not including R&D or final tuning work) and to make thing even more ExClUsiVe you can NOT!!!! have one (even if you have all the Money,,not new at least) because Ohlins will NoT SELL it to you (your team usually) until they study your track record, merits and sponsorships to see it you qualified....Oh this forks are Full "Works" that you only see in MotoGP bikes that cost more than a few houses combine and get "Crush" after they dutty is being completeted do to all the secret development that go into them..
For the price of that shock + a good bike, you could just buy a Bimota Tesi 2D, and just be done with the whole front-fork thing

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Really cool street bike design there, but never really considered a forward arcing front axle path....that seems like it would make the traction really squirrely. Maybe not though.

Oh and by the way, a Corvette Z06 will just about always have a higher top speed than a riced out Honda.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Thrillkil said:
For the price of that shock + a good bike, you could just buy a Bimota Tesi 2D, and just be done with the whole front-fork thing

Well just Imagine a Tesi build as well as the Ohlins works forks

sadlly the tesi is base on a similar platform to the yamaha GTS of the early 90' not a bad design but just not as evolve as some make like, actually the conceptual designer of this type of frame is a American engenier ,,sorry i can not remenber his name that use to go to interbike a few years back(in the L.A. years) when he was trying to get into the bicycle market,,sadlly i don't remenber the brand of the bicycles but they were Spectacular to say the least.

Personally I have a soft spot for this ones

you can get a "Works" bike like this one for example

custom made by matteo feliciani and riden by the sadlly lost (at the 05" dakar rally) franchesco meoni for about $165,000 or do like me and get one, that "Looks kind of" for 10% of that.

sincerlly I don't think i'm good enogh of a rider to Really Really tell the diference, but i can for sure apreciate the little details..

On a side note,,, i actually provide some Paris Dakar motorcycle teams with some small parts I design and produce.

Oh I got to ride a Older tesi (900Ss engine) for a few hundred milles and i need to admite she was more of a "Looker" than a Rider since the thing just did not work that well but for sure looks very intriguing

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Trond said:
I don't change bikes often and I'm not a compulsive eater/starver. The nitro bleeds through after a year, hence the service, which most shocks seems to gain performance from anyway.

Wrong tuning? Feel free to fit into a "normal" shock where they have guessed your weigh for you. My RP3 on my spot runs out of rebound adjustment (I'm 215lbs). Lighter guys can't get it fast enough. That's sweet for a $300 shock.

Very true indeed.
3 years ago when I got my Romic they custom-tuned it for me, taking into account my weight, the bike's load curve, intended riding. Since I stopped by the factory they did it for free, but I recall that if you send it in you can get this done pretty cheaply.

If you're buying a complete frame/shock, many brands try to tune the shock for the typical rider weight for that particular size of frame.

I had another shock custom tuned by PUSH, which req'd sending it back a second time to get it tuned just right...but the overall cost was pretty low esp since the shock was purchased used.

Guess my point is that the 'custom tuned' aspect of Avy's does not , in and of itself, justify a whole lotta extra $$$.

Then there's the new breed of shocks out there like the DHX 5 which you can custom tune yerself....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
How said:
... especially now since they are cheaper, i'll bet they would make one that would be just right for your new frame... what the heck is the status on that thing anyways? the CAD was sweet (/brain control)
bah, i'll take the DHX5.0 with all the adjustability for the same (or less) price. Dont see much value in the stripped down Vanilla-esque version, unless you really like the stickers.

no progress, but will have to update the current frame.....a report on that later :(

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I think one of the main reasons for getting an Avy is that it is very durable. Second, I have not (yet) tried a shock which felt better or more controlled than the Avy.... (maybe personally preference)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
vibiker said:
I guess I just forgot about all the times that I needed to send my DHS back for repair and service.:eek:

A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste :nopity:.

You missed my point, please go back and read it again. There is something about avalanche shocks that is so great it offsets the minor annoyance of the downsides. Essentially you did forget about having to send your DHS back for repair and service, or you thought it was a small price to pay for such great performance. What's the differance between a nitrogen recharge done on an Avy and a complete rebuild done by Fox, even Fox has been able to turn around shocks pretty quick, comparable to sending an Avy in.

Something like changing oil in a Cavalier may be a huge annoyance to the bubblegum chewing teenage girl, where the Corvette owner sees it as painless routine mantinance.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
WheelieMan said:
What does that have to do with the sizes available?
I'm e-assuming that whatever internals where in the remote resevoir or in the piggyback cylinders had to go inside the main shock body in this mono-shock.

I don't know...just speculating.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Kornphlake said:
Something like changing oil in a Cavalier may be a huge annoyance to the bubblegum chewing teenage girl, where the Corvette owner sees it as painless routine mantinance.
so what you are saying is Avy owners are like little pimplefaced girls when they buy other non-glamotous products? how scandelous!