Quantcast

interesting new team

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i wonder what the headtube angle is....stock firebird is 67.5. is the axle to crown height of a boxxer enough to drop it down to 65 or less? i wonder if they're using custom firebirds, or offset reducers.
i was wondering how many posts it would take for someone to bring up head angle :disgust:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfink
I like how they're a clothing company. yet will be racing in Troy Lee's clothing.
I think that Lex are a casual clothing company, not race stuff. Having said that seeing World Cup racers in jeans and T-shirts would be awesome. Not entirely 'pro' but awesome none the less

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
well...it's true, i wouldn't think a stock firebird to be a full-on DH frame. it's marketed as a do-it-all "long travel trail bike". it was designed with a front derailleur in mind and it's a 135mm standard axle in the back.
Wheeding iz fundzDAmental.;)

"Pivot Cycles will be the team’s frame sponsor and they have big plans for the team with the development of their new downhill bike."

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
.stock firebird is 67.5.
But it is speced with 545 fox 36 fork and ha is 67.2* . Boxxer has ~570mm from axle to crown , so about 1inch more = 1 deg slacker ha . Headtube seems to be 1,5" so reducer cups should make this bike slack enough for wc racing . It doesnt look like it has sub 65deg headangle so ...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Last time I checked, theres more to a DH bike then the head angle, especially these days. So adding all that stuff doesn't make it a DH race frame.

I can stuff feathers up my ass and cluck, it doesn't make me a chicken. ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I guess everybody else missed the original, and then reposted "new DH bike"

Looks like after a couple year dry spell, there will be 2 dw link DH bikes on the market by non crap brands. Pretty cool

pjm511

Chimp
Mar 8, 2009
My guess is that the DH frame is still being made and the bike pictured is the bike they will be using for Sea Otter hence the crossmax wheels and like 90 degree HA.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
This head-angle nonsense has gotten out of hand. :disgust1:

I find it hilarious that some people think they can distinguish between 64 and 65, just by looking at a photo. Kinda makes me wanna draw some random lines in MS Paint just to test the forum warriors / e-"riders".

As for this new team, I'm interested to see how they do. As I recollect, Strait and Delfs had a few Top-20's between the both of 'em in 2009 so they're definitely capable/worthy contenders. Also, it's good see a small company like Pivot represented at the World Cup level--good for both for the company AND the sport. Remember, Duncan Riffle rode for Chumba last year, earned some solid results, and was rewarded with a nice contract with Giant. Worked for him, might work for Strait/Delfs.

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
I think that Lex are a casual clothing company, not race stuff. Having said that seeing World Cup racers in jeans and T-shirts would be awesome. Not entirely 'pro' but awesome none the less
Thats the dumbest idea ever..i bet they get paid like over a thousand bucks + free clothes from that company if they wear it in the world cup

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That team is going to have style for miles. The real question is; who ****ing awesome are their podcasts going to be. Answer- totally awesome.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That team is going to have style for miles. The real question is; who ****ing awesome are their podcasts going to be. Answer- totally awesome.
I think you're right:

"LEX ‘Lifestyle Excessive’ is a new youth brand who have created their own clothing line and produced some amazing photography work. LEX is owned by an advertising agency, Charles Cannon, based in Switzerland."

(from their news release, emphasis added by me)

I for one am curious to know what Pivot's DH bike will look like, and how closely they worked with DW in designing it. I'm sure they have some sort of prototype that the riders have been able to see and ride, caus' I don't imagine riders of Kyle and Mitch's caliber would agree to ride a complete waste of space, no matter how well they are being payed. The future of their careers depend on results, and with how competitive the race seen is nowadays I would imagine they can't afford to run anything that not up there with the best bikes.

Plus, if it's more affordable that the Turner, it may be something worth looking into in the future.

On another, slightly related note, and assuming there's still a few privateers out there running Sundays, I think that means DW will have 4 bikes on the World Cup circuit bearing his name (Pivot, Turner, Sunday, Evil). That's pretty amazing.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
On another, slightly related note, and assuming there's still a few privateers out there running Sundays, I think that means DW will have 4 bikes on the World Cup circuit bearing his name (Pivot, Turner, Sunday, Evil). That's pretty amazing.
Add one more to that list.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, and he forgot to mention all the guys on Giant and Trek as well. ;)
Thank for the funny.

How serious is Kyle about DH racing? At least his look and attitude doesn't look like the kind of guy who will to the extra mile to win like hire a trainer, do road rides etc.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
My guess is that the DH frame is still being made and the bike pictured is the bike they will be using for Sea Otter hence the crossmax wheels and like 90 degree HA.
The lowered boxxer probably contributes to the 90* HA. Some parts on the bike bike make me wonder; older style LG-1 and older style SDG seatpost (not micro, not carbon). I'd think if you were a WC level pro rider you'd be on the latest and greatest. I know 90% of groms will have the new stuff this season.

Maybe its not actually Strait's bike.

edit: I also think that if this were Strait's bike, it would without a doubt have the SDG Americana saddle. But I'm probably wrong on all counts.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Pics? Info? (I feel like I'm missing something...)

I don't have the latest rev drawing floating on this computer right now. We've going been going through structural revisions a few times a week, pretty much full time since the beginning of March. DW and I settled on geometry and kinematics some time last fall, but we didn't start proto engineering in earnest until a pro friend of Spooky came to us looking for a bike to race on this season. When you make bikes, and your friends need some help, you do what it takes. I wish I could devote 100% of my time to it to make it a production ready bike off the block. The suspension action and hardware is dialed, it's already damn light and stiff enough, but I need to add that Spooky feel to the structural elements. That isn't as important to me as getting bikes on the track ASAP though. I can slap on new machine parts and weldments during the season and actually do real world testing, which is damn nice too.

Light, fast, strong. ProGRT. ProjectX.
By the time the GRT swings east next month, we will have been on the hill with all the scientific equipment we can, doing data acquisition, tire, component and suspension testing to make sure that when this bike hits the track the first time we'll have all the variables covered and will have done everything we can for our riders to make the top step on the block.
Look for a hype-barrage at the USopen.
We will be racing Beta protos/test mules this summer until we've got the time and money to do all the fancy industrial design it takes to sell a DH bike these days. Form Language! Babble! Hype!
By next season, a full production bike will be available. It will be expensive, but the kind of customer service you get from a 6 person company that exists solely to make the best race bikes we can will make it worth the price. I promise.

100% designed and built in Massachusetts and CT by engineering professors, DW, pro racers,experienced World Cup mechanics and sports scientists, tested on 3 continents by dudes fast enough to win big races and built in small batches in our Boston proto and r+d facility, our race bikes this season, from WorldCup XC to 'Cross and Gravity are Factory as Hell. From the custom drawn and formed tubing from our friends in CT to the CNC bits cutting and welding, everyone involved in this project is a professional with decades of experience making the best stuff we can and analyzing systems to the nth degree to maximize performance and reliability.

Get back on track though!
Something makes me think that Pivot is going to be fast as hell, bombproof and wicked pretty. I bet it's going to make some pretty pictures on the track too with the team they have lined up!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Man, a lot of these bikes are similar looking to the Sunday (yes, I know there are some major differences), I just wish that some of them would use similar enough hardware that they would be interchangable with the old existing Sundays. I would give us holdouts a fighting chance.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Man, a lot of these bikes are similar looking to the Sunday (yes, I know there are some major differences), I just wish that some of them would use similar enough hardware that they would be interchangable with the old existing Sundays. I would give us holdouts a fighting chance.
I actually asked around to see if anyone has parts files for those bikes. Gone. All Gone. bummer! The front and rear triangles on those things are going to last forever.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's a sweet @ss project. Lookin' forward to seeing it and finding out who's riding it. A new frame isn't in the cards for the forseeable future for me, so the timing might be right with this one! thanks for sharing.