Quantcast

Interesting Trek/23 Degrees News

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=130&task=view&id=914

23 Degrees Sports Management announced today that it will be returning to Mountain Bike World Cup racing in 2009 with a brand new team, with Trek Bicycles as a title sponsor.

Previous years have seen 23 Degrees win the many World Cup titles with their teams Global Racing, and most recently Team G Cross Honda, and the new team will have very similar goals.

Through this partnership, 23 Degrees will now be able to create a World Class MTB team with Trek Bicycles, a company which has a proven track record in producing the best racing machines in the world. The team will compete in the World Cup disciplines of downhill and cross country.

Trek's history of world class competition includes an impressive resume: 8 Tour de France wins, countless classics, multiple MTB World Cup wins, and an impressive array of endurance titles — all within the last decade.

23 Degrees Founder and CEO Martin Whiteley commented on the new partnership: "We're extremely excited to be part of Trek's ambitions for top level World Cup racing and results in 2009 onwards, and we're doubly excited to be returning to the race scene, one that has served our company well over the past 8 years".

Further details on the team, sponsors and rider line-up will be released at a later date once they are fully confirmed.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Brilliant, thats going to be a very professional team. Wonder who will ride for them?
Let the e-rumours begin haha

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Probally 23 Degrees riders....

Minnaar...(Too many stars on Syndicate Team...Peat, Bryce, Rennie)
Lehikoinen...(Not a good year till now with Intense)
where are you getting your info? or you just starting a new e-rumour? for the next long while Greg Minnaar is gonna be on a Santa Cruz his season this year is too valuable for syndicate to lose him to trek, they'd drop rennie or peat maybe before minnaar, he's the ones getting the podiums. along with that he just signed with them, i have a feeling that he's gonna stay for atleast another season.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
This sounds interesting......

The time has come to turn their cross country team in a new direction. Was curious to see how they would do that......not sure on the DH program, the new bikes look fantastic though.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Greg has signed for 2 years with Syndicate

Matti signed a multi-year deal with MS-Intense

Brendan Fairclough has signed for 2 years with Monster/Iron Horse

Sam Blenkinsop has signed for 2 years with Yeti

Luke Strobel contract ends this year

Justin Leov contract ends this year

Peat contract ends this year, as Rennie's.

Sam Hill contract ends this year

Cedric Garcia contract ends this year

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Greg has signed for 2 years with Syndicate

Matti signed a multi-year deal with MS-Intense

Brendan Fairclough has signed for 2 years with Monster/Iron Horse

Sam Blenkinsop has signed for 2 years with Yeti

Luke Strobel contract ends this year

Justin Leov contract ends this year

Peat contract ends this year, as Rennie's.

Sam Hill contract ends this year

Cedric Garcia contract ends this year
MTB contracts are like hollywood marriages=easily dissolved.

Brendans contract is with monster, not IH.

At any rate, very good to hear Trek is getting back in the game with the right person, no one better out there for MTB racing/organisation than Martin Whiteley.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
I know about Brendan, just wanted people to understand, he is sure not linked to Iron Horse.

I just wanted to let people know what contracts riders had signed

I didn't know about how easy it was to dissolve those contracts though

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i guess sam hill could be riding for them. but all the sam rumors are funny because he races for monster/ iron horse he could just ride for monster and no frame company. just ride whatever bikes he wants.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Ever noticed that the Trek and Ironhorse logos are shaped the same?

(Not that I have any insider information!)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ooooh...Whitley with one of the big 3 bike companies backing his race team internationally. Good on him. To think, it took Trek over a decade to produce a stock DH bike that people like...but as always, can't afford.

But in terms of racers & contracts, it won't really matter since Whitley just takes people you may never have heard of & makes them household names. My question is, when is he going to take over the US Nationals?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I would love to see Trek becoming a major player in the WC scene.

Beautiful bikes coming from them finally.

Monster Trek.