Quantcast

Internet Explorer problems

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Hopefully someone can help me solve this minor problem.....here it goes....

Last night I stopped in to my mothers house and she asked me to update her web browser for her. I hop on the computer and start downloading Internet Explorer 6.whatever (newest one on microsoft.com). Anyways, after about a hour download, I go through all the setup/installation and think I have everything good to go. I log onto the net, click on the browser and the default homepage cames up to some lame search engine/advertisement site. I tried putting in the chosen starting homepage she wanted, but it keeps reverting back to the search engine/ad site anyways.

How do I fix this? Is there something I am missing? I'm not bad, but not great, with computers......this has me stumped. A few pop-ups came up while I was downloading IE 6.blah, but I didn't think it would have any effect.

Please help! My mother is horrible with the net and freaks out, usually calling me to fix the problem, when something other than what she is used to seeing (hotmail) comes up........I don't want to have her call me every single time she logs onto the net, cause trust me she will.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
for me, i go into regedit & insure the entry is there:
"My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page" edit that guy w/ the full url a-la http://ridemonkey.com

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
For your mother?

She doesn't sound too computer savvy, I'd ditch IE and install Mozilla Firefox.

It'll cut down on the number of support calls you'll have to do, and she'll never see a pop up again.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by Silver
For your mother?

She doesn't sound too computer savvy, I'd ditch IE and install Mozilla Firefox.

It'll cut down on the number of support calls you'll have to do, and she'll never see a pop up again.
this is the 2nd plug for firefox i've seen in as many days.

what do you like about it that could wean me off ie? I hate using the mouse, so tell me if that's an issue.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by $tinkle
this is the 2nd plug for firefox i've seen in as many days.

what do you like about it that could wean me off ie? I hate using the mouse, so tell me if that's an issue.
Tabbed browsing, no pop ups, I think it looks cleaner, and I also prefer the way it handles searches.

Not sure if I can help you with the mouse issue though...