Quantcast

Internet on HDTV

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So how simple/difficult is it to set up my HDTV so that I can watch streaming online content on it (youtube, Hulu, Netflix, etc)? Keep in mind I am a moron, and I have not done any research.

I am sure the answer is "it depends." So what does it depend on?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
your best option would be a pc/laptop with HDMI out if you want to do hulu/netflix/any other online content portal. Many are still flash based.

netflix you can do streaming with a xbox360, ps3, or wii as well.

hulu premium will be available on PS3 as well starting 2011

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have a laptop, a netbook, and a Wii. I assume the laptop would work best. I'm not sure if the laptop has HDMI out. I'll check that tonight.

The TV is a 50" plasma Panasonic Viera.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if your laptop doesnt have a HDMI out (which is probably doesnt,) you can use a DVI-HDMI adapter or the plasma should more than likely have a PC input for a VGA plug. or even a composite output too

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We must have a VGA cable lying around the house. The wife has a file cabinet full of assorted cables. :p

The TV is very new and I'm sure it has all the latest widgets.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
We must have a VGA cable lying around the house. The wife has a file cabinet full of assorted cables. :p

The TV is very new and I'm sure it has all the latest widgets.
if you use the HDMI out from the netbook, chances are it wont pass the audio signal so youll still have to run a audio cable to the tv or audio system.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
a lot of laptops dont pass audio via the HDMI. if it did, it would output 8 channels of audio, not 2
oh really. My only experience with hdmi is on my xbox. I don't know if it was just xbox specific but the hdmi cable inputs audio into the tv without having to use any extra audio cables but I thought I read somewhere that unless you used a digital audio cable it only outputted stereo sound. and I see on wikipedia it says hdmi will output 8 channels of audio so I guess either im wrong or what i have read about hdmi was only specific to the xbox.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and I see on wikipedia it says hdmi will output 8 channels of audio so I guess either im wrong or what i have read about hdmi was only specific to the xbox.
yes you are wrong and maybe the old 360's only passed two channels of audio, but the new ones pass 5.1. do you have it hooked up to a surround sound system? cause tv's only have 2 channels.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
well this is what i have here as my monitor. it is more so a computer monitor with a built in tv tuner than just a regular tv. its got a 16:10 ratio instead of 16:9 so the useable space is a bit better with the computer.

Amazon.com: Samsung Touch Of Color T260HD 25.5-Inch LCD HDTV Monitor: Computer & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11OEN8kRklL.@@AMEPARAM@@11OEN8kRklL

But I have my desktop pc, xbox 360, and cable tv all plugged into it. And the sound from all three devices comes out of my computer speakers which are just 2 speakers and a sub so na I haven't had any experience getting a surround sound setup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the way i have my stuff setup is:

Video*:

PS3-----> hdmi ----> receiver----> hdmi ----> tv
Cable box -----> hdmi ----> receiver----> hdmi ----> tv

Audio (7.1 surround):

PS3 ----> optical audio -----> receiver
Cable box -----> digital coax ----> receiver

my wii is connected straight to the tv via component cables

*note: my receiver only does HDMI throughput, so audio is still carried over the HDMI cable, i just keep the volume on my TV at 0.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
your receiver only does HDMI video input right?
its HDMI throughput, so whatever it gets from the incoming HDMI signal it just passes along to the HDMI output.

so no, it doesn't do HDMI audio. No biggie. Just have to program to match up the right audio and video signals. Set it, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand forget it!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The audio is going through the TV. It'd be nice to hook that up to the surround sound. I also need an HDMI extension cord or a longer cord so i can sit on the sofa instead of right in front of the TV.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The audio is going through the TV. It'd be nice to hook that up to the surround sound. I also need an HDMI extension cord or a longer cord so i can sit on the sofa instead of right in front of the TV.
does your surround sound receiver have a HDMI input for audio and video? if not, what type of audio outputs does your netbook have? just a 3.5mm headphone jack?

that HDMI cable Sghost recommended is more than fine for what you need and its stupid cheap too.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what other types of outputs does the laptop have?
it doesnt have a vga output? you could use that and a 3.5mm cable from the headphone output

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Jeezus no my TV doesn't have a VGA input. It's a 15 year old Toshiba.
well, this is your last option brotha. picture will probably look like poop. stay away from s-video. its suppose to be a better connector than the standard rca, but they ALWAYS look like crap

youll need the following, plus a male-male rca cable
Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited AUD-2350 VGA to S-Video or RCA Adapter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/210dgWV9zkL.@@AMEPARAM@@210dgWV9zkL

Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 03180 - 6ft 3.5mm Stereo Male to RCA Male Y-Cable: Cables To Go: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21WqKfmhjyL.@@AMEPARAM@@21WqKfmhjyL

these of course are cheap versions.

hope this helps