Quantcast

Internet Problems

D

d-sop

im havin trouble w/ my internet. to save questions im on sp2 and on a network. it sais "limited or no connectivity" in one of those balloons comin up from the clock area (like when it says "local area connection disconnected"). ive fooled around w/ settin the ip, gateway, mask, etc. and nothin is workin. please help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
d-sop said:
im havin trouble w/ my internet. to save questions im on sp2 and on a network. it sais "limited or no connectivity" in one of those balloons comin up from the clock area (like when it says "local area connection disconnected"). ive fooled around w/ settin the ip, gateway, mask, etc. and nothin is workin. please help.
Say what?

d-sop said:
the end
-the computer master
Surely nobody here could be of any assistance - after all, who knows more than the master?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Try uninstalling SP2. I've never seen that error but SP2 can do some weird things. Especially if you have les than brand new hardware and software. Just a thought...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Are you using a wireless network? Is it a constant problem or intermittent? Are you on a campus network, the admins can shut your port down if you've been abusing your internet privelages. Have you tried rebooting your router or modem?

D

d-sop

Kornphlake said:
Are you using a wireless network? Is it a constant problem or intermittent? Are you on a campus network, the admins can shut your port down if you've been abusing your internet privelages. Have you tried rebooting your router or modem?
no
no
no
no, thats not the problem, the rebooting.
yes i am the computer master but 4 once i cant figure this one out. ummmm it could be sp2 but my rents' computers have it 2 i think and are doin fine.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
I don't think that it is SP2, as it seems to be working fine on my 3 machines at home. My wife's laptop di that, when I had both her wireless and RJ45 setup. I found that if I shut off the wireless, and went around my USRobotics 8054 Wireless Router (P.O.S.!!) then things worked fine. I find that the wireless setup on the 8054 isn't too hot, and can cause other problems. Try powering down your cable/dsl modem, renewing your IP from your ISP, and making sure that all your settings in the network setup are correct and the same as what they tell you....I know it sounds all rudimentary, but I know that I will miss some of the most obvious settings.....that just makes me mad. ..

D

d-sop

no, the router's fine. the other computeres are fine. maybe it is the wire, but its fairly new. also i dont wanna renew my ip,its fine.

abramsgunner

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
This is from memory as I don't have an XP box to look at. Most of the time I've seen this, is when there is no DHCP server available (the cable is connected, or the wireless is associated.. but the connection has the standard 169 IP address). If you have set static and that isn't working, the other fix that has worked is to right click on the network icon down by the clock, and click properties. Somewhere on one of the tabs, there is a repair button, that will restart that network device. I've only used it once, and it corrected a network connection on a wireless card... I assume it is also available on a wired ethernet. Sorry I can't be more specific as to where the button is.

Other option is to uninstall, the reinstall the network card... that will usually sort it out. Also be sure the firewall is not enabled, at least until you get the connection working again.. SP's firewall is usually not a problem, but Norton's and others will keep you from getting DHCP (although this wouldn't apply if you set your IP static, as you mentioned).

D

d-sop

awesome. really? norton?

repair didnt work. i think that whole repair option is a bunch of crap, personally.

abramsgunner

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Ok, here are a few more:
Try a different patch cable... restart the router... pee on the sparkplug... oh, wait... that last one won't help.

D

d-sop

follow up:
i spend bout an hour w/ my comp guy and we determined that my network card is fvcked up so yea. thanks again for help.