Quantcast

Internet security

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
AVG anti-virus (also has spyware protection) and Windows Defender.

My router has a firewall and NAT is a pretty effective "firewall" anyway.

My experience with the All-In-One suites like Norton Internet Security is very negative. They tend to be system hogs.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
AVG. I figure if people in a number of different countries independently recommend it, it must be doing something right and so far, so good (used it for 3years or so).

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, I've been using Norton Internet Security and it's about to run out and I'd like something different!

As BV says...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I turn my computer off if I hear the disk drive running when it shouldn't.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
app on box: norton
wireless router: whitelist, wep, no broadcast ssid; (still need to harden further)
considered powering down router when off-line, but the range is such that i'd probably notice if someone were warbiking
I turn my computer off if I hear the disk drive running when it shouldn't.
how do you determine "when it shouldn't"? if you have any flavor of M$ or iTunes, all bets are off. by installing, you've agreed to quite a bit of business/data farming

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
AVG is getting sloppy, go with Avast instead:

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15870

An update for the AVG virus scanner released yesterday contained an incorrect virus signature, which led it to think user32.dll contained the Trojan Horses PSW.Banker4.APSA or Generic9TBN. AVG then recommended deleting this file; this causes the affected systems to either stop booting or go into a continuous reboot cycle. So far, the problem only appears to affect Windows XP, but there is no guarantee that other versions of Windows don’t have the same issue.
According to this post on the official forums, AVG has acknowledged the problem and "immediately" posted a new definition update without the false positive. If it's already too late for you, the post suggests either booting in safe mode or using the Windows XP installation CD's recovery console to copy user32.dll from C:\Windows\System32\dllcache to C:\Windows\System32.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
as of sunday night after a firmware update, i'm wpa-tkip (not all my hw supports aes).

don't know why wpa2 isn't available, but it's just as well, as my b/g card on one of my nc6000 laptop is legacy

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
as of sunday night after a firmware update, i'm wpa-tkip (not all my hw supports aes).

don't know why wpa2 isn't available, but it's just as well, as my b/g card on one of my nc6000 laptop is legacy
Is it the Intel chipset, just look for the newest driver from Intel's site rather than HP. WPA-AES would work well too security wise. Are you still using free radius server?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Is it the Intel chipset, just look for the newest driver from Intel's site rather than HP. WPA-AES would work well too security wise. Are you still using free radius server?
intel: yes

free radius: not at home; on previous gig. seemed a bit cumbersome to install on all machines @ home, or just one 24/7 box. i've got 2 personal & 2 work machines, then there's my wife's.