Quantcast

Interview: Kirk Pacenti

BikeMag

Chimp
Mar 23, 2012
Chances are you haven't heard of Kirk Pacenti. Chances are you have heard of 650B, or 27.5, the wheel size between 26-inch and 29ers that the industry can't seem to get enough of right now. Save for Specialized and Cannondale, 27.5-wheeled bikes have become the dominant choice on the majority of all-mountain, 5- to 6-inch trail bikes for most brands. Some, like Giant and Scott, have almost entirely foregone both 29ers and 26-inch wheels to focus on designing frames around the mid-sized hoops.

Interview: Kirk Pacenti

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Go back to pinkbike, troll.

It's great to see some credit where it's due...Kirk's products were on my bike when I converted it to 650b, and his influence for us "man in a shed" experimenters was supremely important.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Go back to pinkbike, troll.

It's great to see some credit where it's due...Kirk's products were on my bike when I converted it to 650b, and his influence for us "man in a shed" experimenters was supremely important.
Sorry, my bad. I thought the sarcasm was evident in my comment. I reckon the time and brain juice Kirk has put in everyone of his creations, and I have been reading about his progress over the past decade almost since he started publishing and getting some well deserved space in the media.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any of his products, but I guess you can't fool everybody (press and average Joe) all the time, since all I've read were excellent reviews about them.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry, far too many pinkbikers scream about every review of bigwheels that they put out. I thought you were one of them! It gets old quick, especially when you know that 90% of them have never tried anything besides a 26" kona.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Don't worry, your reaction was completely justified. No hard feeling here. I personally choose the old 26" standard because flickability is what I enjoy the most in my bikes, but everyone is entitled to search and embrace what's better for them.

Now about Kirk, I remember reading in Bikerumor a long time ago how hard was for him to find a major tire maker to start producing his new standard... The man stood behind his idea, and ten years after many big players out there are acting like they "invented" the whole 650b segment in a weekend's brainstorming session...

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The funny thing is that the neo moto is one of the best all-terrain tires I've tried. It rolls really well, has great traction, and corners well too. It does OK in loam, on hardpack, and on rock faces. It's not as crazy tractiony as a minion or etc, but for a tire that you put on your bike, then go ride all day, he couldn't have started with a better model. I don't think I'd have stuck with the conversion if the tires weren't as good as they are.