Quantcast

Intrawest, owner of Whistler, Snowshoe has been sold

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Uh oh. At least MTB generates a lot of revenue so they probably won't mess with it (I hope).

Munster

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Eastern Canada
Bicyclist said:
Uh oh. At least MTB generates a lot of revenue so they probably won't mess with it (I hope).
Compared to what? Maybe at Whistler, but all the other mountains owned by these guys might be shut down for MTB. It's an investment group, who will only look at the bottom line. If MTB is not profitable, it could be cut to please the shareholders. I'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible.

Intrawest owns (or owned i guess):

Blue Mountain, ON
CMH Heli-Ski/Hike, BC
Copper, CO
Mammoth, CA
Mountain Creek, NJ
Panorama Mountain Village, BC
Snowshoe Mountain, WV
Stratton, VT
The Village at Squaw Valley, CA
Tremblant, QC
Whistler Blackcomb, BC
Winter Park, CO

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man sweet I finally got to buy Intrawest - Whistler is mine minE miNE mINE MINE.

Just like when Cartman bought his own amusement park I will ride Whistler by my self. No more lift lines.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
particle bored said:
Fortress Investment Group LLC is the buyer. Fortress has a web page which states its approach to managing its investments:

http://www.fortressinv.com/site_content.aspx?s=8

From the web page description it's not clear whether they would likely make significant changes in Intrawest's current business holdings.
Anyone know if they are listed on the American Stock Exhange? If so, what is their Symbol?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Whitetail closed here when it was sold........the new group wasn't into the MTB scene....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
CBJ said:
Man sweet I finally got to buy Intrawest - Whistler is mine minE miNE mINE MINE.

Just like when Cartman bought his own amusement park I will ride Whistler by my self. No more lift lines.
so when you've had enough and say, "screw you guys. i'm goin home."
you'll have a bunch of folks followin ya.

but wait...
you remember how that episode played out didn't you ?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Fortress manages $23 billion in assets, including real estate, hedge funds and distressed debt. The firm once held $270 million in loans to pop singer Michael Jackson that was secured in part by his 50 percent stake of the Beatles song catalog. Lilly Donohue, a managing director at Fortress, declined to comment.
Besides the obvious MJ jokes, Fortress is not an outdoor company, but strictly financial services.

I think the best one can hope for is no changes. The worst is some type of asset sell-off which could leave Whistler with no money and services...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sanjuro said:
Besides the obvious MJ jokes, Fortress is not an outdoor company, but strictly financial services.

I think the best one can hope for is no changes. The worst is some type of asset sell-off which could leave Whistler with no money and services...
it sucks that all of this is so out of our control.

some whitecollar execs. will make a determination by only looking at the bottom line on a sheet of paper.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Munster said:
Compared to what? Maybe at Whistler, but all the other mountains owned by these guys might be shut down for MTB. It's an investment group, who will only look at the bottom line. If MTB is not profitable, it could be cut to please the shareholders. I'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible.

Intrawest owns (or owned i guess):

Blue Mountain, ON
CMH Heli-Ski/Hike, BC
Copper, CO
Mammoth, CA
Mountain Creek, NJ
Panorama Mountain Village, BC
Snowshoe Mountain, WV
Stratton, VT
The Village at Squaw Valley, CA
Tremblant, QC
Whistler Blackcomb, BC
Winter Park, CO
Were unpprofitable mountains kept open before? I doubt Whistler was ever run as a charity for MTb'ers

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Transcend said:
Tremblant was sold months ago BTW.

Also, it's a holding company selling to another holdings company. I doubt much will change.

Cant agree, they are a private equity (hedge fund) manager. They will seek to maximize the return on investment. That is not to say that MTB would remain in their business plan.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
C'mon guys. This trend of private equity companies buying out publicly traded companies is nothing new- it's the latest rage in upper management, and in some ways is a flashback to the leveraged buyout rage back in the 80's.

Realistically, this should have zero effect on the day-to-day running of the company. I'd guess that the upper management won't change a great deal either. The most likely thing we'll see is more acquisitions by Intrawest, not divestment... developing new off-season revenue streams with limited costs (ie, mountain biking) is a good thing.

Munster

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Eastern Canada
gemini2k said:
Were unpprofitable mountains kept open before? I doubt Whistler was ever run as a charity for MTb'ers
Probably not, but I would speculate that smaller hills run at break-even. Whistler isn't the only place out there, and no doubt MTB is safe there. Just e-spuculation, but a new owner may want to put off-season resources/manpower into upgrading /expanding for ski season, rather than running a lift for MTBers.

Didn't know about Tremblant. Last time I paid attention (4 years ago?), they opened for Q-Cup race weekend only and were closed to DH riders, based on "environmental" damage. What's the latest on them now?

Msisle Dad said:
Cant agree, they are a private equity (hedge fund) manager. They will seek to maximize the return on investment. That is not to say that MTB would remain in their business plan.
Fortress is a private equity investor, but there MO over the last several years is not one of slash and burn liquidations. They are also a higher risk investor as this purchase indicates. Of course they will seek to maximize profits - do you think that intrawest was in the game not too??? Seems to me that the trend intrawest came up with was to attract more people to the mountain in the off-season and I think Snowshoe and certainly Whistler have shown that there "formula" with regard to biking works for this. I would expect Intrawest management to stay on and things to continue as ususal for now. What is scary is that Fortress will build this Asset to sell it for a lot more then they bought it for. As a whole that is fine, it's when they start selling mountains individually that we need to worry. As a stand alone investment of a single mountain I think it's far more realistic that MTB gets shut down as profits may look minimal and management sees more risk vs. reward. Until then I believe fortress will keep the status que and pay down corporate debt Intrawest has accumulated all while thier assets increase in value.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am absolutely sure that mtb will not be affected at whistler. In fact, if anything, the new guys might try to emulate the success that whistler has, at some of the other resorts.

Ski biz is down significantly over the entire U.S. Retail sales are down, skier visits are down. For the last two years, whistler (mountain and village) have been buiser and done more biz in the summer than winter. The two busiest days at the mountain have been the two prior Crankworks events.

If you add in the fact that skiing is entirely weather dependant, and if you believe science, the weather will only be getting warmer, ski resorts had better start nurturing some summer biz real quick. (oh yea, it is also significantly cheaper to run a mountain in the summer vs. the winter.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
davep said:
For the last two years, whistler (mountain and village) have been buiser and done more biz in the summer than winter. The two busiest days at the mountain have been the two prior Crankworks events.
Not arguing or doubting, but do you have anything to back that up?
Its been a while since I was there in the winter but I haven't been up there a day in the summer that was anything close to a day in the winter?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
trailhacker said:
Not arguing or doubting, but do you have anything to back that up?
Its been a while since I was there in the winter but I haven't been up there a day in the summer that was anything close to a day in the winter?

10,000 people for slopestyle last year, nearly 15,000 this year. i'd say thats pretty damn good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jbogner said:
C'mon guys. This trend of private equity companies buying out publicly traded companies is nothing new- it's the latest rage in upper management, and in some ways is a flashback to the leveraged buyout rage back in the 80's.

my only regret.... is... having bone-itis!

ACK!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
kidwoo said:
You're out of your mind.

i find it hard to believe too, but i'm sure its starting to become a close rival in terms of revenue generator. whistler is the primier bike park in the world, and they have the worlds best slopestyle event (arguably). this year the duration of the festival was doubled to 8 days. gotta be doin' something right for things like that to happen.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
last time I looked there isn't a mountain in the world that can move more MTBers than skiers. The income demographic alone is the crusher. Ski revenue is enough to cover 9 1/2 months of inactivity for Sugar Mtn here in NC. They're in the Southeast. I refuse to believe that crap you just spouted. My buddy is in charge of retail for a major chain of retail ski shops...they are FAR from a slowdown.

Lame...lame...lame....

Could biker revenue surpass skier revenue at ski resorts...damn near impossible. Could biker revenue offset losses during warmer months...maybe.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kidwoo said:
You're out of your mind.
I am have no numbers, if you just think about the age range (3-80) and how many families ski/snowboard vs the tiny segment of the biking population who DH, it is pretty obvious what makes more money....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
jonKranked said:
i find it hard to believe too, but i'm sure its starting to become a close rival in terms of revenue generator. whistler is the primier bike park in the world, and they have the worlds best slopestyle event (arguably). this year the duration of the festival was doubled to 8 days. gotta be doin' something right for things like that to happen.

Do you have any idea how many similar snow based comps whistler/blackcomb has during the winter? One big bike event won't touch crowds generated throughout winter. It's hard to believe because it's wrong.

I live in a ski town and one of my best friends up here manages both a snowboard shop and a bike shop. The two aren't even remotely close in revenue. Multiply that times a big interwest village. Just walk around next time you're up there and count the bike shops. Four last time I looked. Then look around at who's selling soft goods and pulls out the skis and snowboards in winter. Almost half the village retail space not including restaurants.

Whistler is bike heaven but like sanjuro said, the population base of bikers is nowhere near what skiing and snowboarding creates. Your average joe beginner won't take a bike trip to whistler. Your average joe beginner skier/snowboarder PLUS FAMILY regularly will visit mountains in winter. Groomed ski slopes will always be more accessible to people than bike trails with pointy rocks on them.

You see the line at fitzsimmons lift in summer. Put that crowd at the bottom of every lift on the hill on an average weekend in the winter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I heard one good winter day at Mammoth makes as much as the entire bike season.

Of course, I think money is to be made in the summer, and I could argue that Whistler, the ski mountain, is less famous the Whistler, the mountain bike park; and the prestige from DH carries over to the winter.

I would hope that is worth maintaining mountain biking there....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sanjuro said:
I heard one good winter day at Mammoth makes as much as the entire bike season.

Of course, I think money is to be made in the summer, and I could argue that Whistler, the ski mountain, is less famous the Whistler, the mountain bike park; and the prestige from DH carries over to the winter.

I would hope that is worth maintaining mountain biking there....

That's a good point........there's competition in winter with other mountains......but still......the housing at whistler exist because it was built for winter. There's no denying that, and that's when the crowds come.

Yeah they make money in the bike park but to believe for a second that it trumps winter revenues is delusional.

I don't think the bike park program is going anywhere. It makes more money than no bike park. If that weren't the case, it wouldn't be expanding every year.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I believe biking has provided the largest -single day- for Whistler, but the revenue from the biking season overall does not come close to the revenue from the winter season... I remember reading that as well...

I did a double-take at first, but I think they explained it as the largest single-day "profit," since winter operations might be larger in revenue terms, but their operating expenses are far larger as well...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
jbogner said:
I believe biking has provided the largest -single day- for Whistler, but the revenue from the biking season overall does not come close to the revenue from the winter season... I remember reading that as well...

I did a double-take at first, but I think they explained it as the largest single-day "profit," since winter operations might be larger in revenue terms, but their operating expenses are far larger as well...

True dat. It's expensive to run ski lifts. I believe mountain operations but not the village. Even crankworx is still an average winter weekend. Even more so considering holiday periods.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if for '05 the summer did eclipse in income (revenue after expenses).

http://www.skipressworld.com/us/en/daily_news/2005/05/intrawest_q3_acquisitions_offset_disastrous_nw_winter.html?cat=Finance

Resorts in British Columbia experienced the most challenging weather in 40 years, with heavy rainfall in mid-January followed by warm, dry conditions through mid-March. As a result, skier visits declined 16% at Whistler Blackcomb and 10% at Panorama. To compensate for sub-standard conditions, Intrawest discounted the prices of many products, which led to flat revenue per visit at Whistler Blackcomb and a 14% decline at Panorama.
whistler had a *bad* winter in '05, and who knows, maybe the mtb income was higher... would be nice. :clue:

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Curious to see if this will affect the future of
Mountain Creek/Diablo Freeride Park once the lease is up in 2008.
Intrawest owns that resort at well........Time will tell.