Quantcast

IPA > Porter

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SkaredShtles said:
Discuss...........
I can't taste anything but hops in most IPAs. I prefer a bit of maltiness to balance out the hops. The porters coming from the west coast have got a really nice sweet/bitter thing going on. The combination of chocolate malt and high alpha hops to me is the perfect taste.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BikeGeek said:
I can't taste anything but hops in most IPAs. I prefer a bit of maltiness to balance out the hops. The porters coming from the west coast have got a really nice sweet/bitter thing going on. The combination of chocolate malt and high alpha hops to me is the perfect taste.
I usually reach for an ESB if I want that maltiness. I like IPAs hoppy and bitter. A little sweet maltiness is OK, but only a little.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
caboverpete said:
speaking of IPA's though, I got a nice suprise at the beer store this weekend when they finally got some of this in....

Had some as well....and amazingly it was LESS hoppy than the Pale ale.....:confused: :confused:
Still, it was good, and the alcohol content was high enough to keep me warm on this cold weekend.

I have to agree it was less hoppy than I was expecting. I dont drink IPA's on a regular basis but this one turned out to be just average compared to others Ive tried... i think i will stick with 90min IPA as my IPA of choice.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Bridgeport IPA is the best I have tried. Comparing porters and IPAs is silly IMO.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Mackie said:
Had some as well....and amazingly it was LESS hoppy than the Pale ale.....:confused: :confused:
Still, it was good, and the alcohol content was high enough to keep me warm on this cold weekend.
There's a brewery here called Flying Dog that's the same way. IPA is less hoppy than their pale ale. :confused:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
caboverpete said:
I have to agree it was less hoppy than I was expecting. I dont drink IPA's on a regular basis but this one turned out to be just average compared to others Ive tried... i think i will stick with 90min IPA as my IPA of choice.
I got to try the 90min at the GABF this year. Good stuff. :thumb:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
I don't like Bridgeport IPA. Actually I don't like any of Bridgeport's offerings. :think:
Talking smack about Oregon brew is a bad idea. :nope:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
caboverpete said:
apples and oranges
:stupid:

Had some tasty Harpoon IPA pints recently.

I prefer IPA's, but you really are comparing 2 completely different types of beer. Seems like those that like one, don't really care for the other. In my case, I don't really care for Porter's. I can drink them, but wouldn't buy them given other choices. However, there was some tasty Nitro Stout at Trout River up in East Burke, Vermont this past summer. Only Stout I really liked enough to purchase again.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
IPA=summer drink
Porter and Stouts=winter drinks
*for me at least, you can't really compare them

Porter is the sh*t!

If you can though, James Squire IPA.....:drool:

The Ito

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
Hmm, I'd have to look at my collection to remember all the ipa's and porters. To ask which is better is a highly subjective question.

Personally, it depends on my mood as far as choosing but generally I like ales and especially ipa's. I don't know if they still make this (limited release) but Breckenridge Brewery's 471 IPA was awesome and also the "grand finale" at my ale tasting party last Fall. We sampled 13 beers and many people liked the 471 the best.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Try it numbnuts. Deschutes has nothing worth drinking, IMO. :oink:
Considered the best brewery in America by many who know what they are talking about. And a block from my house :) Anyway, it's official, you suck at beer.